Thoughts on USA women going forward

2,932 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aston94
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, so I've beat my head against a wall wanting Press instead of Rapinoe. That ain't gonna happen and probably shouldn't for obvious reasons.

While we did beat France, I think with the lineup we had, we suffered in midfield possession. As I said before the France game, I would move Ertz to the back 4, and start Horan. This move loses nothing on defense, but hopefully helps in possession. Ertz is so good defensively, but just lacks a little on the ball.

Press and Lloyd should be inserted at 60 minutes for whoever is in need of replacing, depending on the score, of course.

I really think USA beat the best team they will face, and I think the team felt the nerves of playing in such a huge game. I think going forward, the team will play a lot better, free from the weight of playing France. England is good, but they are not France. Netherlands is who I expect in the final, and they are very good.
jeffk
AG
I remain staunchly pro-USA women.
PatAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

Ok, so I've beat my head against a wall wanting Press instead of Rapinoe. That ain't gonna happen and probably shouldn't for obvious reasons.

While we did beat France, I think with the lineup we had, we suffered in midfield possession
. As I said before the France game, I would move Ertz to the back 4, and start Horan. This move loses nothing on defense, but hopefully helps in possession. Ertz is so good defensively, but just lacks a little on the ball.

Press and Lloyd should be inserted at 60 minutes for whoever is in need of replacing, depending on the score, of course.

I really think USA beat the best team they will face, and I think the team felt the nerves of playing in such a huge game. I think going forward, the team will play a lot better, free from the weight of playing France. England is good, but they are not France. Netherlands is who I expect in the final, and they are very good.
I definitely agree with this, and not winning the midfield is a way of playing with fire
AG@RICE
AG
Still don't understand why you move Ertz or the 2 other CBs that are dominating the middle. You want all 3 on the field at all times. If you pay attention you will see Ertz drops in to a center CB role and make a 3 person backline. It makes them incredibly hard to beat through the middle. I think the manager nailed it.

The team has only conceded 2 goals all tourney. A mistake by the goal keeper and a set piece. Don't change a core that is working so well.
snowdog90
AG@RICE said:

Still don't understand why you move Ertz or the 2 other CBs that are dominating the middle. You want all 3 on the field at all times. If you pay attention you will see Ertz drops in to a center CB role and make a 3 person backline. It makes them incredibly hard to beat through the middle. I think the manager nailed it.

The team has only conceded 2 goals all tourney. A mistake by the goal keeper and a set piece. Don't change a core that is working so well.

I definitely don't disagree. But everything is a balancing act. Ertz and Sauerbrunn have dominated more than their share of games as the 2 center backs. It's not like they've never been paired up back there before.

Would the team be better with Horan or Dahlkemper? I don't know, but we are not great in the holding midfield area. Our defense is our strength but I feel we lose little on defense and gain a lot on offense with Horan. I don't know a lot about England, but I would guess they will be much less dangerous offensively than France.
Here4goodSoccer
I think Dahlkemper has been great this tournament. She should not be the one who sits out at this point in place of an Ertz/Sauerbrunn pairing. I think sitting Horan was actually a bold move that paid off because Lavelle and Mewis have been great together, but weren't today.

The lack of possession IMO was because of Heath more than Lavelle, but both didn't have their usual games. I think Heath met her match with France's LB so her usual playmaking wasn't as frequent. Substituting Horan for Lavelle was the absolute right choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Horan sits in the England game.

I'm still blown away that a Rapinoe/Press substitution isn't the norm. Press absolutely brings life to these games just by her energy. Rapinoe has been great and I think her knowing she has 60-70 minutes to run herself to the ground may change a lot, especially if she can run the RB into the ground.

Ellis has some big decisions to make for her lineup against England. She needs to be able to control Bronze, Scott, and White.
Smokedraw01
Here4goodSoccer said:

I think Dahlkemper has been great this tournament. She should not be the one who sits out at this point in place of an Ertz/Sauerbrunn pairing. I think sitting Horan was actually a bold move that paid off because Lavelle and Mewis have been great together, but weren't today.

The lack of possession IMO was because of Heath more than Lavelle, but both didn't have their usual games. I think Heath met her match with France's LB so her usual playmaking wasn't as frequent. Substituting Horan for Lavelle was the absolute right choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Horan sits in the England game.

I'm still blown away that a Rapinoe/Press substitution isn't the norm. Press absolutely brings life to these games just by her energy. Rapinoe has been great and I think her knowing she has 60-70 minutes to run herself to the ground may change a lot, especially if she can run the RB into the ground.

Ellis has some big decisions to make for her lineup against England. She needs to be able to control Bronze, Scott, and White.

Heath was tasked to play much more defensively in the France game, especially the first half.

She's still damn good.
Aston94
AG
Ellis set up the team defensively for France. France love to counterattacks with long passes to their fast wingers. So we sat back with essentially a five man defensive line and took away the counter attack, letting them hold the ball.

The strategy worked, as France didn't have a shot on goal until the 75th minute. Was an interesting strategy, but I don't think we will play the same against England.

Starting XI might be the same, but I expect Horan to start and either Leavelle or Ertz to sit.

CjAg
AG
Horan is the best player on the pitch. Have to find a way for her to thrive.
Smokedraw01
Ertz is not going to sit.
Aston94
AG
I love Ertz, and I agree she probably will play, but there has to be a spot for Horan on the field.
Smokedraw01
I like Horan but she's not better than Ertz. It's either Mewes or Lavelle. It's a disgusting wealth of talent at this point.
akm91
AG
I thin Mewis will sit with Horan helping to provide defensive cover on the left side to help out Dunn.

England's center backs have shown they will have at least one gaffe a game at a minimum and we need to take advantage.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
medog
AG
Great discussion. What's your thought on Lloyd coming in for Morgan earlier in the match?
snowdog90
Lavelle, Mewis and Ertz will start. I think Ertz should go back to the back 4 in place of Dahlkemper or Sauerbrunn, but I understand keeping a strong back 4 together.

Bottom line is this team is incredibly talented and deep, which leads to many discussions of which awesome players should start/play more.

Morgan played a big role in both goals vs France. If she's fit, gotta go with her til she's on the ground.
gig them
AG
Lavelle was the weakest link of the three that started against France.

I understand leaving her in while she's on form, but now that she's dipped a little, I'm making the straight swap for Horan.
Smokedraw01
gig them said:

Lavelle was the weakest link of the three that started against France.

I understand leaving her in while she's on form, but now that she's dipped a little, I'm making the straight swap for Horan.

I'll agree but it was also one game. I don't care either way.
Here4goodSoccer
Do you use Lavelle's skill and creativity or Horan's physicality and power? I haven't done the research on what it takes to stop/slow England but regardless if one isn't doing their job the other must be the sub at 60 minutes.

Personally, I would love to see Lavelle weave her at through the English midfield and find their weaknesses. But that's my hope she will have the best game.
snowdog90
Lavelle was shell-shocked a little by the immensity of the France game I think. I would start her and see if she has grown from that and is herself again. She is so good when in form.

I think the only question for me would be Dahl/Sauer or Horan. I can see a case for either. I would guess it will be the same 11 as last game with the same subs coming on as needed. Tomorrow's the big day. Can't wait.
Aston94
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

I like Horan but she's not better than Ertz. It's either Mewes or Lavelle. It's a disgusting wealth of talent at this point.

Well they bring different things to the table. Ertz is a better defender, but Horan is better with the ball on her feet and creating.

They have different skills, I personally think the team needs someone out there that can hold the ball in the midfield and create. I think Ertz would be better on the back line, and I would start her over Dahlkamper or Sauerbrun. But Ellis obviously disagrees.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.