***** Official World Cup 2019 USWNT vs. France Match Thread *****

17,062 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DuncanField91
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Date: Friday, June 28, 2019
Time: 2:00 PM CST
Venue: Le Parc des Princes

HATE!!!!

wangus12
AG
Hope we get a good match and our girls show up. Very good chance we go home if we play like we did on Monday. I'd like to see Press in for Rapinoe. I'd also like to see Ertz dropped to the back line and have a midfield of Mewis-Horan-Lavelle. Ertz absolutely has to man mark Renard on set pieces.

Let's go USA!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
3-0 USA
gig them
AG
wangus12 said:

Hope we get a good match and our girls show up. Very good chance we go home if we play like we did on Monday. I'd like to see Press in for Rapinoe. I'd also like to see Ertz dropped to the back line and have a midfield of Mewis-Horan-Lavelle. Ertz absolutely has to man mark Renard on set pieces.

Let's go USA!

Sign me up for Ertz on the back line. She's a quality midfielder, but I miss having that security blanket.
ptothemo
AG
I really want to see us come out and put them through 15 to 20 minutes of pure hell to start the match. Play fast, press, be physical, and just generally break their spirit and take the (pro France) crowd out of the game. Early goal along with that and take no prisoners!
caleblyn
ptothemo said:

I really want to see us come out and put them through 15 to 20 minutes of pure hell to start the match. Play fast, press, be physical, and just generally break their spirit and take the (pro France) crowd out of the game. Early goal along with that and take no prisoners!

This!

Possess the ball for 80%+
littlebitofhifi
AG
I'm so nervous I'm pretty sure I'm going to throw up on the way to the stadium.
boogieman
AG
Let's do this Frenchie!
hurleyag
AG
BTHO France and their outrageous accents!
gambochaman
AG
wangus12 said:

Let's go USA!
THIS TIMES A MILLION TRILLION

also, i fully expect a relatively slow start...huge pressure on both of these teams, so I think they'll be feeling each other out for a bit before ratcheting things up
Hand Of God
AG
Going with 2-1 France. Hope I'm wrong.
Icecream_Ag
S
Hand Of God said:

Going with 2-1 France. Hope I'm wrong.
your mother is a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries
snowdog90
Holy crap I'm nervous. Whatever the starting lineup, I hope it works. If it doesn't, Ellis must be fast on the trigger to get it corrected.

We must win the midfield battle. We must have 3 people up front who are fit, fast and dangerous on and off the ball. We must defend well as a team.

Go USA!!!
gig them
AG
Man, I'm nervous about this one. I want to be all america and USA and such... but I can't shake the feeling that is the watershed moment for the next phase of the women's game.

Namely, the phase where plenty of teams are as good as we are.
Hand Of God
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will France be wearing all white?
Hand Of God
AG
aggiedadofpanda
AG
If we lose, it's on Ellis. How do you not start Horan?
gig them
AG
If we press hard and sub in Horan before the 60th, I can kinda live with it

But mannnn what a gamble
Hand Of God
AG
If we lose, Ellis will be responsible for our worst WC finish ever and could easily find herself on the chopping block.
snowdog90
Same lineup as last game. Basically Dahl/Saur instead of Horan in midfield and Ertz in back 4.

Hope it works. Morgan must be MUCH more active. Rapinoe needs support. Her strength is her crossing, she must have space to get crosses in and Ertz will need to be available in the box, but also has to get back for France counters.

Damn I'm nervous.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rappineo in the line-up tells me all I need to know. Ellis is going to ride her out of a job. My guess if she plays the entire game like last game, the US loses.

Wish I could enjoy a victory, but their politics has ruined it.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Looks like Horan is going to be on the bench again with Ertz in the midfield and Sauerbrunn in at CB. I think I'm okay starting that way but Ellis needs to have a very quick hook if things start looking like the Spain game. Horan needs to play at some point in this game regardless, the sooner the better IMO.

Same goes for Rapinoe, she needs to finally put it together today with her deliveries or someone like Pugh needs to be in there. For that matter, Press needs to be on early too for Morgan if it looks like she's still trying to play through some kind of injury.

Not ready to burn Ellis at the stake for the last game but hopefully she isn't stubborn with the subs if the first half is bogged down and sloppy again.

Really looking forward to this either way!

ETA: Dunn trying to contain Diani on the wing is gonna be pretty nerve-wracking all game I'm afraid.
snowdog90
You didn't read my posts, did you? I concur with your statements.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Ha! I did not, just went straight into posting mode but great minds think alike.
Hand Of God
AG
The hype around this match is great for women's soccer. Just wish it was the final.
texagbeliever
Compared to last womens world cup, the hype (at least around my office) has been much more muted for this then the quarters and semis of last year. Heck I think we even had a company sponsored lunch for the weekday games.
littlebitofhifi
AG
The stadium is nuts. It's been over half full for an hour and based on cheers during lineups I'd say it's pretty close to 50/50. Best atmosphere for a women's match I've ever seen ('99 final was larger but not sure if it could be called a better crowd)

Edit: now that it's full I'd say at least 60/40 France
Aston94
AG
Hope it works out, but Ellis' lineups confound me from time to time.

Rapinoe-Dunn duo on the left scares me defensively. I am not sure what Rapinoe has done to earn her place. I think a 4-4-2 with Horan in and Rapinoe out would be our best bet.

But, 'Mercia! Let's go kick some Frenchy ass!!!!!
snowdog90
AirplaneAg09 said:

Ha! I did not, just went straight into posting mode but great minds think alike.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm hoping that Rapinoe can channel the 2011-2015 Rapinoe, where she was often the best player on the field.

I'm hoping France is carrying some overconfidence from shellacking the US earlier this year.

I'm hoping the US is wanting some revenge for that horrible outing last January.

I'm hoping Dunn is the perfect answer at left back for the French attack.

It should be a great match.
wangus12
AG
**** I had my office set up and ready to go, but I just got called in for a consultation on a patient and it's definitely going to take well over an hour if not two. Hope the Midfield doesn't get overrun in the first half like I think it will without Horan in it. Ellis doesn't adjust very well within game tactics so not starting is a huge risk.

Time for this lineup to go out and prove us wrong.
Hand Of God
AG
Morgan captaining the side today.
tysker
AG
OlSarge92 said:

Rappineo in the line-up tells me all I need to know. Ellis is going to ride her out of a job. My guess if she plays the entire game like last game, the US loses.

Wish I could enjoy a victory, but their politics has ruined it.
Shes the best crosser on the team and plays tenacious defense on the same side as a somewhat untested outside back. Just give it up and watch
BlueAg2003
AG
My stomach is going to be in knots this entire game.
hurleyag
AG
That was a good set up by Rapinoe!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.