Copa America

2,412 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXCityAggie
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On telemundo. Argentina currently losing 1-0 to Paraguay. Lost their opener to Colombia 2-0. They look awful and not just in comparison to their high level. They really look like an awful team.
Furlock Bones
AG
2nd half underway. Kun Aguero subbed on.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was just picking up tacos from my local shop and the Uruguayan guy who works there and I had our usual chat about soccer. He was loving Argentina laying an egg.
Furlock Bones
AG
A VAR review for handball leads to a Messi PK for Argentina. Telemundo isn't in hd. But I can't see that ball touching the Paraguayan defender.
Furlock Bones
AG
PK to Paraguay after an awful tackle by otamendi. But it is saved. Still 1-1.
Furlock Bones
AG
1-1 draw. Argentina currently tied on points with Qatar but down on goal differential. Will have to beat them to advance. Could and maybe should have lost this game to Paraguay.
Furlock Bones
AG
So as terrible as I think the US is right now and feel like there is no relief for the future, an Argentine fan must just be distraught beyond belief. Messi, Kun Aguero, Di Maria etc and they look like absolute dog sheet. One of the all time greatest players in the history of the game and they will go down with way less trophies than they expected.
OregonAggie
AG
Furlock Bones said:

1-1 draw. Argentina currently tied on points with Qatar but down on goal differential. Will have to beat them to advance. Could and maybe should have lost this game to Paraguay.

Qatar looked like a decent side against Paraguay the other day. I didn't get to see them against Colombia today but I could see them tying it even beating this Argentina team. Argentina just looks terrible!
Furlock Bones
AG
OregonAggie said:

Furlock Bones said:

Qatar looked like a decent side against Paraguay the other day. I didn't get to see them against Colombia today but I could see them tying it even beating this Argentina team. Argentina just looks terrible!
i looked up the Qatari team was shocked to find out they are mostly Qataris and play in the Qatari league. assumed Qatar had just given players from around the world passports and money.
jeffk
AG
And then seized those passports once they arrive...
Furlock Bones
AG
Japan drew tournament favorites Uruguay 2-2 last night.
wangus12
AG
South America really not showing off this year in their tournament
MB19
AG
wangus12 said:

Too many tournaments on CONMEBOL's part. They need to stage it every 4 years.
Furlock Bones
AG
MB19 said:

wangus12 said:

Too many tournaments on CONMEBOL's part. They need to stage it every 4 years.
supposedly after next year, it will be back to every 4 years on the new schedule in line with the Euros.

played 2015 and then again in 2016 because it was the centennial year. now playing 2019 in the last odd year.

ChipFTAC01
AG
I wish every other cycle we'd do a combined North/South America cup. Maybe 10 from conmebol and 6 from concacaf
OregonAggie
AG
Ecuador v Chile tonight at 6pm.

Chile can book their way to the next round with a win tonight.
OregonAggie
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I wish every other cycle we'd do a combined North/South America cup. Maybe 10 from conmebol and 6 from concacaf

I thought Copa Centenario was awesome and I really hope we find a way to partner with them just like you.

We need our team to play more meaningful games between world cups.
gambochaman
AG
VENEZUELA!
jeffk
AG
Argentina continues to squander Messi's talent. Getting pushed around by Brazil. 2-0 in the second half.
who?mikejones
AG
They've hit a crossbar and a post. Really have controlled a lot of the game.

But, they really dont play well together. It looks like an NBA team running isolation plays out there.
jeffk
AG
They've had some good chances for sure. Games been back and forth; mainly just commenting on Brazil being the more physical team.

Allison has been huge for Brazil tonight.
who?mikejones
AG
jeffk said:

They've had some good chances for sure. Games been back and forth; mainly just commenting on Brazil being the more physical team.

For sure.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

I got a little nervous when his back got hurt after that corner kick.

The game was a great one to watch and the comments about Argentina looking like a NBA team is 100% spot on. Brazil play as a team, defensively and especially offensively. Argentina relied way too much on individuals dribbling past defenders to open space vs Brazil using passes to open space.

I'm not a Brazil fan but I do feel good for them. They've had a tough run lately and winning Copa would be great for that country.
jeffk
AG
And Bobby scored, so everything was fantastic.
MB19
AG
It's astonishing that Argentina have not won a major trophy since winning the Copa America in 1993. That's a heck of a drought for a nation that produces so much talent.
oragator
Does Messi ever do anything but whine like a baby after a tournament?

Copa America three years ago he quit the team.

Now he refused to take his medal and celebrate with his team, and called the refs corrupt.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/argentina/story/3894693/angry-messi-cites-corruption-after-copa-red-card

I am a big fan of his play, but man, the dude needs to grow up.
TRM
AG
I don't know about the refs robbing them against Brazil because I didn't watch that game, but he didn't deserve a red card today. The ref today lost control of the game.
boogieman
AG
Was that a call deserving of the penalty?
La Bamba
AG
MB19 said:

It's astonishing that Argentina have not won a major trophy since winning the Copa America in 1993. That's a heck of a drought for a nation that produces so much talent.

They honestly should have won the 2014 WC when they outplayed Germany for 90 minutes but couldn't put the goal away. But I think your point stands and shows just how hard it is to win at that level. Lots of things need to fall in place, not just good players.
akm91
AG
MB19 said:

Their federation has been in shambles for a long time. That plays a part of it.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TXCityAggie
AG
I was at the Final today in Rio. Great atmosphere and entertaining game. It was definitely worth the trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.