* Liverpool 2019-2020 Thread (Champions of Europe, England & the World) *

89,912 Views | 1303 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!

Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
In.
BenderRodriguez
AG
YNWA
ChipFTAC01
FriedTex
AG
We win the EPL this year!
RossG_2
AG
In. This is the season I watch a game at Anfield.
AG@RICE
OregonAggie
AG
**** YEAH!!!!!!
jeffk
AG
So what roster changes are we looking at for next season?
OregonAggie
AG
Replacement for Mignolet
Another LB to backup Robertson
Winger to backup Mane

I'm curious to see if Harry Wilson can fill in up front for Mane/Salah. We definitely need to bring in a GK that we can trust if Allison gets hurt or needs a break. Same goes for LB.
joemeister
AG
SIX TIMES!
Agvet12
AG
Did we offload Karius last year or the winter transfer window?

But yes I'm curious who we'll bring in up front, as a winger/cf role, and who we get as our LB #2, and a back up keeper

Also since we helped drive the transfer market to neat unrealistic levels I hope we give the younger guys a chance to help fill the voids. As our warchest is a good size but we're about smart business not blowing 80-90m on over valued prospects
eiggA2002
AG
We've conquered all of Europe, we're never gonna stop.....

YNWA
OregonAggie
AG
Agvet12 said:

Did we offload Karius last year or the winter transfer window?

I believe Karius is actually out on loan.
OregonAggie
AG
Departures will be another thing to watch. Rumors of Lovren to AC Milan and also Mane/Salah being targeted by Real Madrid.

I don't either leaving considering they almost won the EPL and they did win Champions League here.

I think buying De Ligt would give us the best central defense in the world but he's going to cost more than VVD. I'd rather see us purchase some younger guys or just give our young guys a chance. No need to break the bank in my opinion.

Ox coming back is going to be like a new signing in midfield as well.

The team is in a great spot but depth is a concern with all the games we're playing next year!
jeffk
AG
I'd like to see us add depth across the back, but I would like to see a couple of our youth guys work their way into the rotation up front and in the midfield.
AG@RICE
AG
Absolutely need a backup for Bobby that can actually play like Bobby. Origi went from transfer $$$ bait to untouchable, but he can't press like Bobby. We need someone who can start league/FA cup games that can establish a high press.
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
AG@RICE said:

Absolutely need a backup for Bobby that can actually play like Bobby. Origi went from transfer $$$ bait to untouchable, but he can't press like Bobby. We need someone who can start league/FA cup games that can establish a high press.
I'm keen on signing Memphis to fill that exact role.
OregonAggie
AG
Dalton Hughes said:

AG@RICE said:

I'm keen on signing Memphis to fill that exact role.

I'm middle of the road on Memphis. I don't know that he'd want to play a role as a backup. Same with timo werner. Steve Nicol recently came out saying Nicholas Pepe isn't a Liverpool type player but I disagree. The kid would fit in well and absolutely push for playing time up front. He's also young enough to mold.
Agvet12
AG
I love Origi especially after his heroics last year and he's a true poacher but his pace is awful as well as his press ever since his injury.

I'm surprised a Bundasliga team hasn't pressed for him honestly, as he'd fit their mold perfectly.

I think we may end up getting Depay/Pepe if the price is right, but I think anything north of 30+ is over priced. That said it sounds like we're keen to give Brewster his chance this year and he can press for the FA cup games and some of the lower table teams to give Bobby some days off.
AG@RICE
AG
Anyone willing to go to Liverpool should already know they will have to earn their place. Even De ligt would not walk into a first team place without tons of stout competition. One could argue the VVD - Matip (or Gomez) partnership was the best in the world.

I read a quote by Klopp that he shares with his knew signees as they sit on the bench and adjust to the physical/mental demands of Liverpool - "Are you here for 5 months or 5 years?" Every player must truly understand and be physically capable of carrying out Klopp's gameplan. Very few non-Liverpool players will have that ability, so I expect that anyone who signs will understand they might be coming off the bench.

Shaqiri is a great example of this. He is an absolute top class player who rarely plays, yet he is happy being a winner so he stays and fights for his place.
OregonAggie
AG
The price has to be right for sure and that's why I'm thinking we don't spend much money this summer and our youth gets a shot.
OregonAggie
AG
AG@RICE said:

Anyone willing to go to Liverpool should already know they will have to earn their place. Even De ligt would not walk into a first team place without tons of stout competition. One could argue the VVD - Matip (or Gomez) partnership was the best in the world.

I read a quote by Klopp that he shares with his knew signees as they sit on the bench and adjust to the physical/mental demands of Liverpool - "Are you here for 5 months or 5 years?" Every player must truly understand and be physically capable of carrying out Klopp's gameplan. Very few non-Liverpool players will have that ability, so I expect that anyone who signs will understand they might be coming off the bench.

Shaqiri is a great example of this. He is an absolute top class player who rarely plays, yet he is happy being a winner so he stays and fights for his place.

Would there be competition? Yes. Would a $100M player sit on the bench? No. You can't spend that kind of money and not play someone. I also think he's better than Gomez/Matip/Lovren.

I think the fact that we have Gomez and Matip makes De Ligt a want but not a need at all. Matip was possibly the most important player for us after Gomez's injury because he played so damn well. Gomez is our CB of the future and I bet we end up selling Matip next summer.
eiggA2002
AG
There is no chance we are in for De Ligt. The journos are even denying it. Just agents trying to drive the price up and it has worked. He's going to make more than Salah at PSG or Barca. Totally ok with Gomez, Lovren (if he stays), and Matip paired alongside VVD.

Definitely need a Left back, Keeper, and a forward. I loved the out of nowhere Fabinho signing from last year, that was great! If Michael Edwards has a guy....we're going to get that guy and I'm ok with that!!!

AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

AG@RICE said:

Would there be competition? Yes. Would a $100M player sit on the bench? No. You can't spend that kind of money and not play someone. I also think he's better than Gomez/Matip/Lovren.

I think the fact that we have Gomez and Matip makes De Ligt a want but not a need at all. Matip was possibly the most important player for us after Gomez's injury because he played so damn well. Gomez is our CB of the future and I bet we end up selling Matip next summer.

They paid 65 million for Naby Kieta and he struggled to find the field.

I agree with eiggA2002 though, it seems counter culture to bring in De Ligt...if anything they are just trying to drive up the price. Also, I'm not sure he is the ideal defensive CB for Liverpool. He can certainly score, but Gomez's recovery speed (when fully healthy) might make him a better defender in Klopp's system.
OregonAggie
AG
Gomez is one of my favorite players on Liverpool but I would take De Ligt over him any day. Gomez is damn fast for a big guy but De Ligt isn't a slow player at all.

But as you said, these rumors were agents trying to drive up a price so in the end it doesn't matter. Also, CB is not a weakness for us when it comes to starters or depth. It's by far our deepest position.
OregonAggie
AG
Considering the "Moneyball" reasoning we've been using, it leads me to believe we'll make signings that are reasonable yet impactful. It's worked so far!

Because of that I don't see us breaking the bank for anyone and that why I never thought we would sign De Ligt. We have more pressing needs.
Agvet12
AG
AG@RICE said:

OregonAggie said:

AG@RICE said:

They paid 65 million for Naby Kieta and he struggled to find the field.

I agree with eiggA2002 though, it seems counter culture to bring in De Ligt...if anything they are just trying to drive up the price. Also, I'm not sure he is the ideal defensive CB for Liverpool. He can certainly score, but Gomez's recovery speed (when fully healthy) might make him a better defender in Klopp's system.

We paid for Keta and it takes a year or so to work him into the system, he was also hampered by Injuries as well as Milner stepping up and Hendo.

Keta wasn't a holding mid, so Fabhino being able to use his engine to cover in the back to enable to hendo to go forward with milner was crucial. Keta should get more playing time next year as a regular, as will ginni until we find the right combo.

Our policy is buying talent when they're undervalued (either by the team or the market), given that we've been ahead of the curve in this, were not paying 80m+ for a surplus
AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

Gomez is one of my favorite players on Liverpool but I would take De Ligt over him any day. Gomez is damn fast for a big guy but De Ligt isn't a slow player at all.

But as you said, these rumors were agents trying to drive up a price so in the end it doesn't matter. Also, CB is not a weakness for us when it comes to starters or depth. It's by far our deepest position.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just agents. I could see Liverpool pretending to be interested in him just to deplete the Manu or Barca transfer money stockpiles.
eiggA2002
AG
Agreed. Klopp has said something similar to we're going to "reinforce not rebuild" this window.

Seems like we are focused on extending some current contracts (Ox, Origi) and giving VVD improved terms while adding depth in the areas of need (LB, FWD, GK).

Fixture release day is tomorrow!!!!
OregonAggie
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Agreed. Klopp has said something similar to we're going to "reinforce not rebuild" this window.

Seems like we are focused on extending some current contracts (Ox, Origi) and giving VVD improved terms while adding depth in the areas of need (LB, FWD, GK).

Fixture release day is tomorrow!!!!

SCHEDULE RELEASE DATE!!!!
deadbq03
AG
I still hope you guys make a run at Timo Werner, but it's looking like he's full-blown Bayern-or-bust now.
jeffk
AG
Schedule release date?

FriedTex
AG
That seems like a pretty good set up - not sure how it will overlap into Champions League though
OregonAggie
AG
We have a tougher end of the schedule than city.

Better amass a big lead going into April this year!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.