Arsenal 2019-2020 Thread

136,419 Views | 2300 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AGC
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2018-2019 is now OVER!

Let's do this.
TXAggie2011
AG
And I still have not watched yesterday's match. I am attempting an epic journey of avoiding spoilers until June 7.

Starting this thread for the rest of you goons who were so lucky to see it.

Don't talk to me.
wangus12
AG
Thanks for starting the thread. Now go away
wangus12
AG
https://arseblog.com/2019/05/arsenal-1-4-chelsea-rip-it-up-and-start-again/?fbclid=IwAR1NeZUgHUeeEF4tdJbYl-VOScEbjG_pUdcIX4MqA_BGhyzbUfhBSSZIR94
byfLuger41
AG
wangus12 said:

2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
OneBlitzer
AG
Good read. Sobering. Thanks for posting.
chjoak
AG
Rumors floating around that we are in for Thomas Meunier. He is said to be on his way out from PSG and ManU has been the primary link. A couple days ago we surfaced as an option due to Emery liking him quite a bit while at PSG. The claims are that we have been talking to him for a month and have already offered a 5 yr deal. If true I can't imagine we plan to keep both he and Bellerin on the roster. Can't help but wonder if maybe Emery feels that Bellerin was sometimes lax in defensive duties???
TXAggie2011
AG
wangus12 said:

TXAggie2011
AG
I watched it this morning. Anyways.
TXAggie2011
AG
Have any fans of Kroenke's teams ever not hated him?

Maybe the 13 LA Rams fans are pleased (for now)???
TXAggie2011
AG
The media is still overwhelmingly saying Meunier will go to Manchester United, despite some hard work by Unai Emery.

But growing rumbles that Arsenal might be able to pry center back/right back Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig.
chjoak
AG
Upamecano would be a huge get at CB. Not sure if he would be the immediate starter we are looking for but he could push his way in short order. Plus he would be just 20yo to start the season so he wouldn't count towards the non-HG slots until next season.
agdoc2001
AG
Rest in peace Jose Antonio Reyes.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
The word of the day is Jerome Boateng can be had from Bayern Munich for 20 million Euros.

I don't buy he'd come to Arsenal. But let's suppose he says he'll come.

Yay or nay?
chjoak
AG
I'm torn. Would prefer younger options (he's 30) but that is potentially a really good deal and I don't think we would get as good a defender for that much. But with his age that is a sunk cost as he will essentially have zero resale value. Biggest question is his form/quality. He has dipped some in the last couple years and I wonder if that is permanent (injuries plus age) or if it is due to not getting much pt after coming back from injury.
agdoc2001
AG
Hard no. This club is a rebuild project looking to be competitive in 5 years. All buys should be in the 20yo area as future club contributors or someone who can be moved on for a profit. Keep in mind he's also on 135k a week and won't take a pay cut.

Blowing half our transfer budget on an out of form 30 year old would be asinine.....so we will probably do it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
texagbeliever
30 isn't that old for a CB but he has had knee issues. I could see him being that upgrade in the center that might be worth 5-7 points in the league (and qualifying for champions league which is worth way more than $20 MM)
wangus12
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I watched it this morning. Anyways.
The go away was so we could complain about the result, not a reflection of you.
wangus12
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Rest in peace Jose Antonio Reyes.

Damn. I was out hiking over the weekend and just heard. I thought he was gonna be the next big thing when he first came to Arsenal. Kinda hard to break into a team when Henry is in front of you and your job was to replace Bergkamp
agdoc2001
AG
texagbeliever said:

30 isn't that old for a CB but he has had knee issues. I could see him being that upgrade in the center that might be worth 5-7 points in the league (and qualifying for champions league which is worth way more than $20 MM)
I guess if you believe we have a realistic shot at Champions League football in 2020, then I could see gambling on an older player with no resell value if you believe he'll make the difference. My own personal belief is that we don't have a realistic shot at qualifying for Champions League for at least a couple more years, so we should be building for the future.

This club has been run like a dumpster fire for the last 8 years. We sell players below market value, we overpay for bang on average players, we allow players to leave on a free or sign them when they are too old to make or at least recoup some profit. Poor financial decisions when combined with a stingy owner yields things like 40 million dollar transfer budgets. The cycle has to be broken and a 20 million dollar Boateng is just more of the same.

Ivan Gazidis, before leaving, had a famous quote that Arsenal could compete like Bayern Munich. Like most of what Gazidis had to say, it was complete BS. Arsenal aren't Bayern, we are, at best, Dortmund and probably need to begin acting like it. Our future success depends on the ability to recognize talent at the youth level, buy these players on the cheap, and then sell them on when they peak in their mid to late 20s. If only we had someone at the club with a proven track record in recognizing under the radar talent...
texagbeliever
Let's wait and see on chances of top 4. Let's see if poch stays and prevents a player exodus. If man u pulls in the big targets or is left without pogba and no new stars. Also is Ole a good coach or a 10 game flash in the pan. Chelsea will be using a top 3 player in the league and beginning a transfer ban.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm not prepared to say we can't compete for the Champions League.

I'm pretty downtrodden right now, I wouldn't put my money on Arsenal.

But there were 18 losses and draws last season of which if any single one was turned into a win, we would be playing in the Champions League this coming season.

I understand that's the favorable presentation of the issue, but it's true that we were thisclose.

I don't know that we'll do what we need to do this off season, but I think our chances are going to also depend on what happens elsewhere in London.

I guess my view is if the summer develops somewhat favorably, you consider some of the older immediate impact transfers and see if we can't sneak in next year.
TXAggie2011
AG

Happy Birthday, Goldi Poldi
wangus12
AG
I agree with you. I don't think we're that far off from Cl. Fix the leaky, aging defense and we'd be in. The bigger issue to me is the mental one. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of fight in this team and they collapse very easily, especially away from home.
chjoak
AG
A few additions with the right mental focus can change the entire team's in short order. Right now we have to many that hang their head when anything goes wrong. We need a couple that step up and rally the troops.
agdoc2001
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Have any fans of Kroenke's teams ever not hated him?

You tell me.

texagbeliever
Eriksen said he is ready to change clubs. Hopefully he is able to follow through better than toby did! Spurs could be taking a big step back this window.
chjoak
AG
Next season could be interesting. Top 4 is available for the taking.

Liverpool will likely be at the top.

City likely stay top 2 but I've heard that Pep is talking about doing a major rebuild.

Chelsea is losing some big players and won't be able to replace them due to transfer ban.

Spurs could be looking at a rebuild with Eriksen and a few others rumored to be leaving and Poch supposedly on several big clubs wish list.

ManU looks to be a dumpster. Several players looking to jump ship and no idea what they really have in Ole. Could be a good manager. Most likely a mistake making him permanent.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
chjoak said:

Next season could be interesting. Top 4 is available for the taking.

Liverpool will likely be at the top.

City likely stay top 2 but I've heard that Pep is talking about doing a major rebuild.

Chelsea is losing some big players and won't be able to replace them due to transfer ban.

Spurs could be looking at a rebuild with Eriksen and a few others rumored to be leaving and Poch supposedly on several big clubs wish list.

ManU looks to be a dumpster. Several players looking to jump ship and no idea what they really have in Ole. Could be a good manager. Most likely a mistake making him permanent.
To be fair, if I was a fan of any other club, I would call us a dumpster fire as well.
chjoak
AG
Won't argue that
chjoak
AG
Seeing rumors that Xhaka's cousin stated via social media that Granit is being sold (assume to Inter) and we will receive a 50m Euro fee.
wangus12
AG
chjoak said:

Seeing rumors that Xhaka's cousin stated via social media that Granit is being sold (assume to Inter) and we will receive a 50m Euro fee.
I actually like Xhaka, but 50m is a steal. Sell him
agdoc2001
AG
Interesting tidbit on Arseblog today, Andrew mentions that we sold The Jeff to Angers for less than 2 million last year. He had a good year with them and now will likely be sold on for 20-25 million. If that doesn't sum up our transfer dealings...
wangus12
AG
What aggravates me is that with our youth system, we seem to rarely give young prospects a decent shot other than some tournaments so we can't sell them high or we send them on loan to a team that doesn't really play them.
TXAggie2011
AG
I know its easier said then done, and I know we cannot fully replicate it, but I would copy cat the Ajax youth model as closely as possible. We actually have a good foundation and a good reputation. Make it better.

Develop a way to play and develop every ounce of technical skill you pry out of each player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.