Rapinoe Kneeling for National Anthem

bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read the article. Don't see anything in there saying she is going to kneel for the anthem. USSF has a rule saying you have to stand; presumably she'll comply or not be allowed to participate.

Personally I think the whole kneeling thing is bad marketing. The conversations I've seen started by the kneeling controversy seems to lead to a lot of discussions about kneeling during the national anthem and not many conversations about how to fix police violence against minorities.
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really hope political media stays away from the issue. I guess it help ratings and exposure for the team. Even bad press is good press. But will anyone really be watching until the knockout stages anyways?
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She would kneel if she could.
She's ticked USSF passed a rule saying she can't without letting her complain and compromise.
So she won't sing instead.
But she views her whole existence as a protest.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
Ban Cow Gas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per the article...

Quote:

"I feel like it's kind of defiance in and of itself to just be who I am and wear the jersey, and represent it," Rapinoe told the website. "Because I'm as talented as I am, I get to be here, you don't get to tell me if I can be here or not. So it's kind of a good 'F you' to any sort of inequality or bad sentiments that the administration might have towards people who don't look exactly like him. Which, God help us if we all looked like him. Scary. Really scary. Ahh, disturbing."

Man, she is all over the place. The whole USWNT needs to take a step back and help get the magic back that made them fun to support.
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

Per the article...

Quote:

"I feel like it's kind of defiance in and of itself to just be who I am and wear the jersey, and represent it," Rapinoe told the website. "Because I'm as talented as I am, I get to be here, you don't get to tell me if I can be here or not. So it's kind of a good 'F you' to any sort of inequality or bad sentiments that the administration might have towards people who don't look exactly like him. Which, God help us if we all looked like him. Scary. Really scary. Ahh, disturbing."

Man, she is all over the place. The whole USWNT needs to take a step back and help get the magic back that made them fun to support.

Yep, struggled to follow her on that quote.
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

wangus12 said:

Its gonna look really bad at the World Cup this year.
Why? Its going to look bad for whom and for what reasons?


I don't think when you accept a position on a national team that you should use that position to protest anything. You are agreeing to represent the country and you should do so gracefully and without turning it into your own personal agenda.

But that's me. If she feels the way she feels that is fine, and she has all rights to protest as she sees fit, but there is something unseemly about accepting a national team position and then using that position to protest against the nation you are representing.
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston94 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

wangus12 said:

Its gonna look really bad at the World Cup this year.
Why? Its going to look bad for whom and for what reasons?


I don't think when you accept a position on a national team that you should use that position to protest anything. You are agreeing to represent the country and you should do so gracefully and without turning it into your own personal agenda.

But that's me. If she feels the way she feels that is fine, and she has all rights to protest as she sees fit, but there is something unseemly about accepting a national team position and then using that position to protest against the nation you are representing.


You have stated your position as an opinion in terms of what you believe another person ought to do. That's a reasonable approach.

Now the person you are directing your opinion to merely has to hear it and interact with it or you're mainly "preaching to the choir" of people who live their lives imagining rules others should follow. The USSF has to respond to the broader body politic and may choose not to restrict her as the mood of the nation changes.

But the notion that the flag is bigger than the people is wrong. It's fabric. The nation is stronger when we stand together voluntarily.
Gigem Trevas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stop giving her attention and she will stop doing it.
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
greg.w.h said:

Aston94 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

wangus12 said:

Its gonna look really bad at the World Cup this year.
Why? Its going to look bad for whom and for what reasons?


I don't think when you accept a position on a national team that you should use that position to protest anything. You are agreeing to represent the country and you should do so gracefully and without turning it into your own personal agenda.

But that's me. If she feels the way she feels that is fine, and she has all rights to protest as she sees fit, but there is something unseemly about accepting a national team position and then using that position to protest against the nation you are representing.


You have stated your position as an opinion in terms of what you believe another person ought to do. That's a reasonable approach.

Now the person you are directing your opinion to merely has to hear it and interact with it or you're mainly "preaching to the choir" of people who live their lives imagining rules others should follow. The USSF has to respond to the broader body politic and may choose not to restrict her as the mood of the nation changes.

But the notion that the flag is bigger than the people is wrong. It's fabric. The nation is stronger when we stand together voluntarily.


I literally said "that's just me" and "she has the right to do what she wants" but you focus on what you want to focus on.

I do draw a distinction between a flag protest and a flag protest while wearing a national team jersey. Much like a protest while in military uniform, I, my opinion, don't think it should be done.
If you feel strongly about it then don't wear the uniform. That's fine, but I don't understand the idea of wanting to represent a country that you won't even do the honor of standing for the national anthem (unless ordered to do so). Those two things don't really jive to me.

And let's stop this "it's just fabric" discussion. If it was just fabric then she wouldn't be protesting against it. The flag is more than fabric, no matter what side of the discussion you are on.

By the way, I had no issue with the NFL protests or any similar protests. My only issue with her is that she is doing the protest while wearing a NT uniform.
gig them
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

By the way, I had no issue with the NFL protests or any similar protests. My only issue with her is that she is doing the protest while wearing a NT uniform.

This is a really important qualifier, and one I wholeheartedly agree with.
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gigem Trevas said:

Stop giving her attention and she will stop doing it.


This is the irony of it all. The people complaining about how it's a "me me me" act meant to draw attention are the ones that are creating 75% of the attention.

But I 100% disagree she'd stop doing it if that side stopped complaining about it. As has been mentioned before, this isn't a one off thing . If she had done nothing else for causes she supposedly cared about then I might be inclined to think she was doing it for only the attention. But that's clearly not the case.
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If somehow she is allowed to kneel during the World Cup I won't be watching any USA games.
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
USSF has already made their stance on this. She hasn't said she is going to kneel. She just said in some interview that she probably wouldn't sing the national anthem ever again and FoxNews made a sensational headline about it.

The OP's title is the only thing I've seen suggesting she is going to kneel during the WC.

Half the people with no cause to support or beef with America don't sing the national anthem anyway. She may not have sung it before all this kneeling stuff began. I don't think many people know because few cared or paid attention to who did or didn't sing.

There is no story here.
Page 2 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.