Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,098 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ryan_m said:

Aaron Wan Bissaka incoming?
Ole wants him but Crystal Palace may want too much for him.
Dre_00
Eddie and the board better get use to teams asking for insane sums for their players. Can't believe they haven't already.

You're a publicly traded company so your finances are there for all to see. You have a recent history of paying gobs of money for players. And you have completely sucked for the last 7 years so you're desperate. Any club worth a damn should multiply their demands by 10 when Manchester United comes calling for a player that they don't want to lose.
Dre_00
Supposedly Wan Bissaka is frustrated at Palace over their valuation and wants to move to United. He hasn't formally asked for a transfer but if he did, the chances of this happening improve greatly as Palace would likely sell for something closer to what United are willing to pay rather than keep a player who has formally requested to leave.
Dre_00
Fixture list is out and we start the season at home to Chelsea then away to Wolves.

That is not an easy start.
Thunder18
AG
At least Hazard is gone. Wolves will probably kill us
ryan_m
Last big 6 game is March 14
Dre_00
Pogba has officially publicly said that he wants a new challenge somewhere else. Cool. You can go if/when Real pays our asking price.
Thunder18
AG
Hasn't RM already dropped close to 300 million this transfer window?
ryan_m
We shouldn't sell him for less than 150 million
Thunder18
AG
ryan_m said:

We shouldn't sell him for less than 150 million

Woodward will probably agree to a straight swap deal for Bale
Dre_00
Supposedly United has slapped a 160 million price tag on him. I'd say 125 would be enough.
AGC
AG
Thunder18 said:

Hasn't RM already dropped close to 300 million this transfer window?

Yes. But last few years we haven't bought any galcticos (unless you count courtois as one, not sure I do), mostly homegrown talent on the youth national side (a few exceptions in Vinicius and rodrygo). Mariano was the most expensive.

We'll offload more this summer than just Bale too. We have James, probably Isco, Marcelo, and Keylor Navas. Some role players will probably go as well.
Griffle
Seeing reports that #8 has decided to stay on another year. I hope that is the case, I love Mata even though he's not the player he once was.
Dre_00
If there's a better person in football, I've yet to see him. Unbelievably good guy. Pretty sure he was the one who started the 1% initiative. His mere presence at Old Trafford is enough reason to keep him around.
Dre_00
Official. Mata signs a new deal till 2021. Love that guy so I'm good with this. Just hope he doesn't ever play on the wing...which I doubt Ole will want to do.
ja86
AG
rumors that a fee with Crystal Palace to sign defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been agreed to, according to a report in the Scottish media, for around 55 million pounds.
Dre_00
Yep, saw the same thing in a different source.

If true, this could be a truly legit signing.

Pulled this from a February article but feel like it was more or less the same at the end of the season as well.

Quote:

For a young player who is still in the process of learning his trade, Wan-Bissaka's statistics defy all sense. He is miles ahead at the top of the list of players who have made the most successful tackles this season with 66; the next best is Leicester's Wilfred Ndidi with 54. That is reflective not just of the frequency of his tackling, but an impressive success rate: he has failed fewer tackles (25) than Cesar Azpilicueta (27), but won 74% more than the Chelsea man's 38.
Yet to suggest Wan-Bissaka is a purely defensive talent would be mistaken. He has successfully completed more dribbles (40) than any defender in the Premier League or, indeed, anybody who is not a winger or a centre-forward.

https://www.football365.com/news/forget-trent-is-wan-bissaka-englands-long-term-right-back

I feel for Dalot as I do really like him as well. I'm hoping they can both grow because I think they could both be top fullbacks. If this goes through, my hope is that they share time at the position at Ashley Young is relegated to being the leader off the pitch and nothing more.
ja86
AG
competition is never a bad thing to have. I think Dalot will have his shot. And Young better not sniff the pitch next season.

I would like to see shaw and WB with Dalot as the sub.
ryan_m
I could envision a scenario where Dalot makes a move to RW
Griffle
Betting has been suspended on Wan-Bissaka's potential move to United.
Dre_00
He did get a fair bit of playing time there though mostly against teams who were far superior. He was used almost as a defensive winger.

But yeah, competition isn't a bad thing. It just needs to be managed correctly so that development for both can continue unimpeded.
Dre_00
BBC reporting that AWB is a done deal pending his medical. 50 million pounds and United retain their 25% sell on fee for Zaha which Palace was trying to get rid of.

Considering that the player is young, English, pretty damn good (so far), and had 3 years remaining on his contract, that's not a horrible fee.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

BBC reporting that AWB is a done deal pending his medical. 50 million pounds and United retain their 25% sell on fee for Zaha which Palace was trying to get rid of.

Considering that the player is young, English, pretty damn good (so far), and had 3 years remaining on his contract, that's not a horrible fee.

4th largest fee in club history, he will have a lot to live up to
ryan_m
I hate this effect of the modern market. Is he the 4th best player we've ever signed? Probably not. But he will be critiqued because of his high price tag, and that's a lot of pressure for a 20 year old fullback
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Hopefully he is Rio 2.0 (yes i know AWB is a RB)
texagbeliever
Market is just crazy. The kid is good but, $50MM?! I guess that is just is an indication of how much TV money is flooding into these European leagues especially EPL.
TheStunned
Rooney still has it. What a goal.

https://streamable.com/51mqw
ryan_m
What a legend
Dre_00
That's a meaningless stat in my opinion. It speaks more to the money in the game than anything else.

In 2002, United spent 30 million on Rio.
In 2002, EPL TV revenue was 1.2 billion per yer

In 2019, United spent 50 million on AWB
In 2019, EPL TV revenue was 5.1 billion per year

Any discussion of "does this add pressure because he's X highest transfer ever" needs to have context like this...and more.
Dre_00
boogieman
Thunder18
AG
It may be a meaningless stat to you and you can rationalize it in any context you want, but it is a big deal to many fans and media judging by the number of times it has been mentioned in articles, interviews and across social media- that's just the nature of social media driven journalism.

People still talk about Pogba's fee relative to his performance pretty much every time he takes the pitch
Dre_00
Oh I completely understand and I agree with that...it's just a ridiculously disingenuous argument to make if you don't acknowledge the massive economic explosion that has happened in English soccer.
Griffle
It's officially official. We have a new right back.
ryan_m
Ashley Young is no longer our starting right back!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.