Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,080 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
ryan_m
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm an optimist. When I heard the news Ajax agreed terms, I got excited. I acknowledge that it might be a play to get Barca to drive up their price, but if Barca pay De Ligt what he wants, they will have to offload players to afford him, and no one wants to leave.

This is actually a win win. If we sign him, that's a win. If Barca fork up the money, they must lose players which is a win for us as a European foe. And some of those players might be someone we want.

As far as why De Ligt might choose United, look no further than Pogba. He could be the "posterboy" of a rebuild. And he would have to beat out the likes of Smalling, Jones, and Baily, rather than Pique, Lenglet, and Umtiti.
Dre_00
Reports Pogba to RM for 120 million is nearly done. I've always said if you get 125 and he doesn't want to here, then do it. They can use that for Wan Bissaka and a CB (Koulibaly) or a CM.

I like Pogba and think he's gotten a raw deal but it's probably time he go.
jeffk
AG
Is RM releasing anyone to make room for him?
eiggA2002
AG
Not sure they need to but probably will. They did sell Ronaldo for 100m+ pounds last summer. Ramos is out and Modric may be as well and that clears a good chunk off the wage bill. Hazard potentially incoming as well.
ryan_m
Selling my shot now: Pogba isn't leaving
Mike Elko
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Not sure they need to but probably will. They did sell Ronaldo for 100m+ pounds last summer. Ramos is out and Modric may be as well and that clears a good chunk off the wage bill. Hazard potentially incoming as well.

You realize Modric was extended an extra year and Perez shot down Ramos to China, right? Just sayin'. And I'll be unpleasantly surprised if Pogba does in fact end up at RM. Dude's an overrated diva. Hazard and Erickson, por favor.
ryan_m
This thread is dead....
Hearing that Rabiot is scheduled for a medical in Carrington very soon. Can you imagine a midfield of
Pogba Bruno Fernandes Rabiot
Dre_00
It's hard to get excited when this far it's the same transfer nonsense that we've seen every year and no movement on the DoF that was supposedly on its way.

Things I've heard/read:

United are going to offer 180 million for Salah (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Rabiot is going to sign for Liverpool
RM doesn't want to pay for Pogba and instead wants to include players (Bale and Navas mentioned)
Juve want Pogba back
De Ligt is leaning towards Liverpool

It's all a bunch of nonsense. I get that it's barely June but United's season has been over for a month and...nothing. Seems they haven't learned a damn thing.
jeffk
AG
Y'all should buy Coutinho.
ryan_m
All of that is from low tiered journalists, and those stories are usually pretty confined (i.e Salah "rumor"). But when multiple sources confirm the same thing (De Ligt, Rabiot, Wan Bissaka), you can believe we've actually made bids for those players.
TheStunned
Blah..who cares. No amount of players coming in or going out is going to fix this mess. United haven't learned from mistakes and I expect nothing from next season already.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. I don't see a DoF. Until I do I see no reason to follow the transfer season silliness.
TheStunned
I real DoF and not a Rio or Fletcher DoF.
jeffk
AG
That's the spirit!
ChipFTAC01
AG
In the bright side, Maradona has declared that he's the man to fix United and he's up for the task.
Dre_00
Looks like Daniel James is having his medical at Carrington today.
ryan_m
A Welsh winger? Yes please!
Thunder18
AG
Rashford drew and scored the PK for England today vs Netherlands. Lingard had a goal overturned by VAR for offside
Griffle
ESPN reporting that DeLigt is most likely going to sign with Paris St Germain. I'm not sure how that would work with FIFA FairPlay...I thought they were up against it last year.
ryan_m
ESPN, apart from a few writers, are known to make up stories all the time. Don't read ESPN articles for legitimate information. Some good sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/wiki/transfer-reliability-guide
ja86
AG
another winger in the house....

Swansea City have agreed terms, in principle, for the transfer of Daniel James.
Griffle
Agreed about ESPN, I found it more interesting than anything considering the FairPlay stuff they were up against.
planoaggie123
AG
I dont know much about this one. What are his qualities?
ja86
AG
A promising young player that had a breakout season in the Championship league. For players who are 22 or younger in the Championship, Daniel James ranks:

1 successful goal-scoring actions per 90
1 dribbles per 90
1 crossing accuracy
2 dribbling accuracy
2 crosses per 90
2 touches in box per 90
2 shots per 90
3 xA per 90
Mathguy64
AG
Can he play CB? Can he play RB? Can he play DM? Because, those are like glaring areas of weakness on this team. I mean huge, blinding, massive areas of weakness.
ryan_m
I wasn't aware the transfer deadline was today...come on dude.

Still a lot of time to sign players. Just check any of the dozen players we're linked with
ja86
AG
well the releases have begun with 14 let loose including Ander Herrera and Antonio Valencia as expected. Always liked Ander.
Dre_00
Right winger may not have been the weakness that CB is but it is a weakness. Before James, we didn't really have a true winger. Not like you have to sign your players in the order of greatest need and winger was still a need.

That said, I still don't have faith that the other areas will be addressed. It's impossible and unrealistic to think they'll all be addressed by even a competently run club but when Woodward is running the show? No chance.
Thunder18
AG
If we dont sign a new CB, the message will be that no signings were needed because they just renewed Smalling and Jones
Dre_00
I hope we sign a new CB but...I do think that it's simplistic to expect all holes to be plugged in one transfer window. In fact, I would say that if you want to build a proper team capable of winning the EPL, you shouldn't try to plug all the holes in one transfer window. Because more than likely, the right player isn't available at every position of need. It takes time to come back from the depths United is in and part of the reason is you can't find 7 amazing players that are available, able to play the system you want, able to pay their transfer fee and able to play their salary.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree we need a new CB and hope we get the right one for his window. But we literally need like 7 new players. If we get 3 or 4 this window that turn out to be talents who significantly improve the team, I'll be happy...regardless of whether one of the 3 or 4 is a CB.
ryan_m
If we don't sign a CB I'll be disapointed. Easily the biggest position of need right now. But I believe we'll get it done, and hopefully before pre-season camp. There's a lot of good players out there
planoaggie123
AG
Gareth Bale rumors seem more intense this year. Could be interesting. He is a signing I wouldn't hate despite his high price and the fact that he is starting to age a little.
Griffle
planoaggie123 said:

Gareth Bale rumors seem more intense this year. Could be interesting. He is a signing I wouldn't hate despite his high price and the fact that he is starting to age a little.

5 years ago I'm interested, but I'm weary of guys that the Spanish giants don't believe can play anymore.
planoaggie123
AG
Probably right but a part of me would still like to see what could happen. He is complete opposite of what we need (aging attacking player vs young defensive) but next year will be rough and having someone like him would make watching potentially a little more intriguing.
ryan_m
Aaron Wan Bissaka incoming?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.