U20 World Cup

17,856 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudyjax
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

Let's ****in goooooo

akm91
AG
Quote:

The result means the U.S. are into the quarterfinals of the U20 World Cup for a third-straight time -- a first for the U.S. -- and will face Ecuador in the next round.

Damn that's pretty impressive!

U-20 Into WC QF again!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
Rudyjax
AG
Posting this again and adding to it:

Some "interesting" facts about these starting 11s.

France average age: 19.3. Youngest player is Loiodice at center mid at 18. 4 20 year olds.

US average age:18.4. Youngest player is De la Fuente at 17. No 20 year olds, and 5 19 year olds.

According to transfermarkt, the most valuable player in the game is Zagadou, valued at 30mm Euros.
The most valuable American in this game is Weah, valued at 6mm.
France has 7 starters valued more than Weah.

France average value: 11,068, 810
US average value: 736,000

France 11 total value: 121,750,000
US 11 total value: 8,100,000

Number of French players valued more than the entire U S 11: 5

PatAg
AG

He always has good stats
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

He always has good stats
Its also completely meaningless
Dre_00
Adding to this, those French players are regular starters in big European leagues.

The goalie starts for Fiorentina
One of the two CBs start for Marseille and the other got 15 league games at Dortmund
Diaby got 30 games with PSG.

And it showed because, let's face it, they were the better team for some long spells. But the US wasn't just lucky. They had some good moments and 2 of their 3 goals were exquisite. Would love to see Soto's valuation this time next year. That kid is good.

PJYoung
AG
wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

He always has good stats
Its also completely meaningless

U20 Final 4

2007 Argentina, Czech Republic, Chile, Austria
2009 Ghana, Brazil, Hungary, Costa Rica
2011 Brazil, Portugal, Mexico, France
2013 France, Uruguay, Ghana, Iraq
2015 Serbia, Brazil, Mali, Senegal
2017 England, Venezuela, Italy, Uruguay
akm91
AG
Zagadou is worth every penny of that 30M Euros based on what I've seen today.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Zagadou is worth every penny of that 30M Euros based on what I've seen today.
Absolutely.

akm91
AG
The Frech team was technically much better than the US for sure. They were able to control the passes with their first touch and almost all their players were comfortable in tight spaces with ball at their feed.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

The Frech team was technically much better than the US for sure. They were able to control the passes with their first touch and almost all their players were comfortable in tight spaces with ball at their feed.
THey win that game 7-8 times out of 10.

Except they didn't win this one.

And if I'm a French fan, I'm pissed about the questionable no calls in the box.

Aston94
AG
Great win by the US!!!!

We definitely got a bit lucky in the first half that we didn't give up more than 1, but I thought we were the better team for much of the second half. You could just see the team's confidence growing.

Looking at that French line up you knew we were going to have to score multiple goals to win, but getting 3 on then is unreal. So happy for the boys, huge confidence booster!

PatAg
AG
We scored more in one game than they gave up all groups
OregonAggie
AG
Dre_00 said:

Adding to this, those French players are regular starters in big European leagues.

One of the two CBs start for Marseille and the other got 15 league games at Dortmund

And it showed because, let's face it, they were the better team for some long spells. But the US wasn't just lucky. They had some good moments and 2 of their 3 goals were exquisite. Would love to see Soto's valuation this time next year. That kid is good.

I think Soto absolutely has a bright future and hopefully he gets some first team minutes next year at Hannover. I think he's at Hannover.
oragator
Watching this team is such a joy.
Not only is there talent, but it's so much fun to watch U-20 where they are far less cynical with the flops, the refs let them play because he doesn't have to referee kindergartners who whine at everything, and there are much more optimistic attempts going forward. If senior level played like U-20 it would be fighting for a top 3 sport in the US.
Now let's win this bleepin thing.
jeffk
AG
Looks like we have the early game (10:30 CT) on Saturday.
PatAg
AG

Pretty good angle of this goal. You see Ledesma realize there is an opening and he kicks it into another gear. At the exact same time you see Soto realize the same thing, and he gains a little width and turns the jets on as well. Perfectly timed pass.
Dre_00
OregonAggie said:

Dre_00 said:

I think Soto absolutely has a bright future and hopefully he gets some first team minutes next year at Hannover. I think he's at Hannover.

His contract runs out in 12 months. Rumor is that renewal talks have broken down and the official developer of the USMNT, Dortmund, are interested in making a move.
PatAg
AG
Him and Gloster both apparently have one year left on their contracts and didn't accept extension/new contracts. So hopefully they both end up in better spots
ChipFTAC01
AG
This just popped up on my espn.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3868131/source-uss-sotogloster-may-leave-hannover
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/united-states/660/blog/post/3869311/us-u20-stars-rating-their-form-ahead-of-world-cup-quarterfinal

PatAg
AG
I Am Mine said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/united-states/660/blog/post/3869311/us-u20-stars-rating-their-form-ahead-of-world-cup-quarterfinal

I don't get the report on Scott. He has been abysmal on set pieces, to the point where I fear a team will score on any cross
Aston94
AG
Semifinals are on:

Ukraine beats Colombia 1-0 (Guess our game with them is looking better and better)
Italy-Mali (11:30am today)

USA-Ecuador (10:30am tomorrow)
S. Korea-Sengal (1:30pm tomorrow)

Lot of non-traditional soccer powers in the final 8
Rudyjax
AG
Popov who I was impressed with had a bad ankle injury which led to a red card on VAR.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Wow. Sargent not on the gold cup squad. I have no clue why they did not have him in the U20 squad.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

I Am Mine said:

I don't get the report on Scott. He has been abysmal on set pieces, to the point where I fear a team will score on any cross

I agree 100%. I read that earlier and just laughed. No clue what that author has been watching.
PatAg
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Wow. Sargent not on the gold cup squad. I have no clue why they did not have him in the U20 squad.
The logic for not having him on U-20s I am ok with. Everything else is idiotic
ja86
AG
PatAg said:

AustinScubaAg said:

The logic for not having him on U-20s I am ok with. Everything else is idiotic
Personally, I see the USSF as a giant cluster **** and everything they do is idiotic.
DuncanField91
AG
Quote:

Personally, I see the USSF as a giant cluster **** and everything they do is idiotic.
I don't know about that. They defied odds to avoid WC qualification last cycle. Hard to accomplish that.
OregonAggie
AG
DuncanField91 said:

Quote:

I don't know about that. They defied odds to avoid WC qualification last cycle. Hard to accomplish that.

Hahahaha. I'll give them credit for that too
Seven Costanza
AG
So looking through this roster, I see that we mostly have American-born players (or it seems) that are signed with European teams. This is a fairly new thing to have this many guys being developed by the Euro leagues, right? Is this just a matter of the sport having gained popularity in the US and thus we have more/better players now?
PatAg
AG
Ochoa in goal

de la Fuente with the start

Durkin pomykal mendez midfield

Imagine we will see a Ledezma or Llanez at half or the 60 minute mark
PatAg
AG
Ecuador is a very good team, another great test for these young players
tysker
AG
Most of the Ecuadorian starters are on a yellow including the goalie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.