U20 World Cup

17,852 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudyjax
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there's plenty of folks that dislike Panama but damn I hope they win tomorrow. It'll look bad for concacaf if only one of the 4 teams moves on in the tournament.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

I know there's plenty of folks that dislike Panama but damn I hope they win tomorrow. It'll look bad for concacaf if only one of the 4 teams moves on in the tournament.

**** them all for colluding to keep us out of the WC.
PatAg
AG
I Am Mine said:

jeffk said:

OregonAggie said:

Our team looks poorly coached

Pretty sure this lineup is just causing some problems - we've looked a ton better in other games.
So the lineup isn't coaching?
You can't judge lineups off one game in a World Cup. Strategy is played out over multiple games.
That being said, I think he made some errors in judgement. Specifically playing 2 defensive minded players centrally together, who basically play the same role in Servania and Durkin.
However, his two subs had immediate impacts on the game, and created that majority of our quality chances.

Further edit. Having potentially critical players already on yellows starting this game is the biggest blunder. This team has quality depth, yet we really only rested Dest on a yellow. Gloster, Durkin, Mendes all played. Two are now suspended, and Gloster wasnt subbed out until very late, speaking too strategy.

Basically the more I think about it, the worse my opinion of Tab Ramos gets. Just inexplicable choices for the lineup for this game, leading to losing tactics. At least he made good choices in the 2nd half.
PatAg
AG
My take on the game. Not having Pomykal in was clearly going to affect our play, as he has easily been our best player. Both with keeping the flow of the game, and providing that ability to split the defense with a pass or incisive dribble.

I think de la Fuente played himself out of a starting spot, losing it to Llanez. I actually think de la Fuente has looked subpar overall, but shows a lot of potential. Which is what you might expect from a 17 year old.

Mendes had moments of skill, and while his free kicks were sub par, his service on set pieces were excellent. His defensive play also led to the goal from Weah.

A lot of struggle to build from the back, while appearing ot be on the defense, are more to blame on the midfield imo. Servania and Mendes didn't do enough to make up for the lack of Pomykal there.

Without knowing for sure who is out on yellow cards, Im fairly sure Durkin and Mendes are out this next game.

Id imagine us to go with a similar back line. Weah on the left, and Llanez on the right. Soto up top. Pomykal and Servania centrally.
For the last spot, I remember reading that Cerillo was someone that we might have seen in for Durkin this game, and he and Pomykal have experience together at FC Dallas. That Ledezma had a lot to say off the bench, so he might be an option as well
PatAg
AG
Think Mali has to beat France for us to avoid France in the next round
PatAg
AG
Ironically, these suspensions allow us to potentially run out a better lineup in our next game, if Tab is smart
Thunder18
AG
Llanez definitely looked better than De La Fuenta
Aston94
AG
Win and advance, that is the objective!

Team looked much better in the second half, don't blame Tab for resting some key players. This tournament is an endurance match. Will probably have to face France in Round of 16, so will be a big challenge, and we will need our guys in top form.

This tournament really needs to add more countries so it can go to top two advancing and avoid this "top 4 3rd place teams".
Rudyjax
AG
Holy crap. Watching Norway/Honduras....

Noway had a goal called back in the 12-0 rout.

Chef Demas 2020
AG
Not sure that is fair to judge off of a single half....

I do agree that Llanez provided a good spark off the bench in game 3 where as De la Fuente was struggling to create any opportunities....but Llanez was fresh...hadn't played at all at that point where as De La Fuente hadn't missed a minute all tournament.

De La Fuente has great skill and has looked great on the wings with Pomykal....I just think he was tired and trying to do too much on his own and taking one too many touches in game 3.
Thunder18
AG
My apologies Mr. De La Fuente
Chef Demas 2020
AG
haha I promise I have no connections to Konrad

Just wanted to start some discussion...I like these young players but yesterdays game was an outlier.
Rudyjax
AG
Hearing about the game, I figured that it was a perfect storm and Norway scored on every chance they had.

Not even close. They scored on about 20% of their chances.

It reminds me of when my sons U14 team somehow got matched against a DA team in a tournament.
Rudyjax
AG

These are good to see what they do with the ball. More important to me is seeing what they do off the ball.
carl spacklers hat
So much fail in my post.
Rudyjax
AG
Are the late games today televised anywhere??
carl spacklers hat
Arg v Kor is on Fox Sports Plus. Watching now.
PatAg
AG
salloh_tamu said:

haha I promise I have no connections to Konrad

Just wanted to start some discussion...I like these young players but yesterdays game was an outlier.

I disagree, I think it's clear he has a lot of potential but I think he has struggled to actually produce anything all 3 games. Whether Llanez couldn replicate a full games worth of his sub appearance who knows, but I think I'd like to see if he could. Probably should have just started him against Qatar
PatAg
AG
If Tab chooses the right lineup/tactics I think this team is very capable of beating France. Would be nice to have Mendez in though.
Mustang1
AG
France beats Mail 3-2. US-France is on Tuesday morning.
carl spacklers hat
France looks really dynamic, which is going to present problems for the defense. The back line will have to play its best match of the tournament to have a chance. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the last match but I'm not optimistic given how many chances Qatar created.
Hand Of God
AG
12-0 at a World Cup? Epic level embarrassment.
PatAg
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

France looks really dynamic, which is going to present problems for the defense. The back line will have to play its best match of the tournament to have a chance. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the last match but I'm not optimistic given how many chances Qatar created.
you are
Dre_00
Hand Of God said:

FIFA is apparently investigating for match fixing. Not sure what's worse. If they come back and say "Yeah, you fixed the match" or "No, you guys just really really suck".
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Hand Of God said:

FIFA is apparently investigating for match fixing. Not sure what's worse. If they come back and say "Yeah, you fixed the match" or "No, you guys just really really suck".
Was there a line Norway -11?

Match fixers usually don't ask you to get your ass stomped, just to lose by more than the line. That would be super obvious if someone put big money on Norway -10 or something.

But that sounds like something FIFA would investigate.
PatAg
AG
Tomorrow is the day, the lineup should tell us a lot about what to expect
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

I'm looking forward to it. In fact, there's a ton of soccer this week with the U20 WC and also UEFA Nations League Semis/Finals going on.
jeffk
akm91
AG
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
gambochaman
AG
almost time!
PatAg
AG
Dest is going to have to prove that first game was a fluke defensively and continue to be a threat going forward.
From what I read on soccer Twitter, Servania is a more offensive minded center mid 6 than Cerillo, so I'd love to see us just take the game to France

Big Opportunity for de la Fuente to show up and be a bit more decisive. He has gotten into a lot of great spots and lacked the final play so far.. should be well rested

And finally another game for Pomykal to display his skills. I imagine France is going to try to hound him all game, if Lledesma can influence the game that will force their hand.

And of course I won't get to watch this game live
Rudyjax
AG
The camera showed Pomykal's mom and brothers.

She's from my neighboring town and I have 10 mutual facebook friends with her.
Rudyjax
AG
The size difference between Zagadou and Pomykal.

Wow.
Bryan98
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

I'm looking forward to it. In fact, there's a ton of soccer this week with the U20 WC and also UEFA Nations League Semis/Finals going on.
USMNT also has pre-Gold Cup friendlies on Wednesday and Sunday. There's over a month of international soccer starting basically tomorrow: U20 WC, WWC 2019, Gold Cup, Copa America, UEFA Nations League...it's nuts. These dudes barely get any time off.
OregonAggie
AG
Damn Ledezma almost got it in!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.