U20 World Cup

17,858 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudyjax
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roster announced tonight.

Thoughts about Sargent and Adams playing in the Gold cup versus the World Cup?

Overall it seems like the best squad we've had but still pales to what France has. First time we only have professionals playing, which is a step in the right direction.
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/05/10/12/51/20190510-news-u20mnt-u20-world-cup-roster-release-poland-201

2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster by Position (Club; Hometown; U-20 Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; Foxchase, Pa.; 2/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.; 4/0), Brady Scott (Kln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.; 9/0)
DEFENDERS (6): Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Almere-Stad, Netherlands; 8/1), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96/GER; Montclair, N.J.; 11/0), Aboubacar Keita (Richmond Kickers; Columbus, Ohio; 2/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.; 10/3), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.; 10/0), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER; Birmingham, Ala.; 8/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Edwin Cerrillo (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 0/0), Chris Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.; 2/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; Phoenix, Ariz.; 4/0), Alex Mendez (Freiburg/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.; 15/8), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas; 9/3), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas; 8/2)
FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC/CAN; Brampton, Ont.; 12/9), Konrad De La Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; Miami, Fla.; 2/1), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; Lynwood, Calif.; 11/7), Justin Rennicks (New England Revolution; South Hamilton, Mass.; 13/6), Sebastian Soto (Hannover 96/GER; San Diego, Calif.; 5/2), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.; 0/0)
jeffk
AG
I'm okay with it as we'll need them to have built some cohesion with the senior crew before next WCQ.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I'm okay with it as we'll need them to have built some cohesion with the senior crew before next WCQ.

I agree with that but do you have confidence Berholter will start building the core for the next WCQ?

This may be worrying about nothing, but Weah is still not cap tied.
jeffk
AG
Not worried about Weah leaving the Stars and Stripes. And yeah, I think Berhalter is already looking towards WCQ with his roster selection for GC.
Rudyjax
AG
I think so too. But I still don't trust the powers that be.

I do like where he played Pulisic last time and Dortmund played him in the same place and he had one of his best matches in a whole last week. Hoping he gets the start tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
He does seem to tailor his lineups to our player pool instead of trying to shoehorn players into spots like JK and Arena did.
Aston94
AG
Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

I agree with that but do you have confidence Berholter will start building the core for the next WCQ?

So we're already not trusting Berhalter? That was quick.

The point of the U20 WC is to find players who can help you in the future. Seargent and Adams are already known quantities that will be a part of the future. They will be in the Gold Cup so that they can be a part of WCQ.

deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

He does seem to tailor his lineups to our player pool instead of trying to shoehorn players into spots like JK and Arena did.
Well, he did shoehorn Adams into RB instead of playing him in the midfield where he's better suited... but perhaps that speaks to a lack of better options at RB?
wangus12
AG
If I'm being honest, he hasn't done anything to earn anyone's trust yet
Rudyjax
AG
Trust is earned not given. And it has nothing to do with Berholther.
Dre_00
There's nothing wrong with experimenting. That's what friendlies are for. Adams has played as a RB plenty of times before and it's good to know what your options are should Yedlin get injured...like he is now.
Dre_00
Gold Cup is a rare opportunity to get some somewhat meaningful national team games. I have no doubt he'll use it to build the core of what he thinks his best team is. And it will be vital experience for players like Weah and Sargeant who have never gone to Honduras or Costa Rica in a WCQ and been CONCACAF'd.
jeffk
AG
Yes, getting your first CONCACAF-ing is a vital part of any USNT player's development.
jeffk
AG
Sort of. The way Berhalter uses his marking backs is a lot more similar to a withdrawn wingers than under previous staffs and it utilized many of his strengths. Plus, it really wasn't a "new" position for him anyway.
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

Gold Cup is a rare opportunity to get some somewhat meaningful national team games. I have no doubt he'll use it to build the core of what he thinks his best team is. And it will be vital experience for players like Weah and Sargeant who have never gone to Honduras or Costa Rica in a WCQ and been CONCACAF'd.

Weah is playing with the U20s in Poland.
Dre_00
My bad...meant Adams.

Weah is apparently skipping out early on Celtic loan so that he doesn't miss any of the U-20 games.
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

My bad...meant Adams.

Weah is apparently skipping out early on Celtic loan so that he doesn't miss any of the U-20 games.

He was told to leave as he wasn't going to play in that last game anyway and won't be with Celtic next season.

PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

So we're already not trusting Berhalter? That was quick.

The point of the U20 WC is to find players who can help you in the future. Seargent and Adams are already known quantities that will be a part of the future. They will be in the Gold Cup so that they can be a part of WCQ.

Also, players from this U20 squad could easily play their way into the full team before WC
jeffk
AG
U17s qualified for their WC today.

Claudio Reyna's kid scored five goals in qualifying too.
Rudyjax
AG
Notice that they're all professionals already.

This alone is going to play dividends on the senior team.

I can see these guys getting past the quarters.

Rudyjax
AG

Old Man Pulisic will be 27.

This is why the U-20 WC means more than the Gold Cup.
Dre_00
And he signed with Dortmund recently...the official developer of the USMNT.
Aston94
AG
Rudyjax said:

Old Man Pulisic will be 27.

This is why the U-20 WC means more than the Gold Cup.

I didn't realize we were building a team now for the 2026 WC.

And your premise that the young guys should play in the U20 WC v. With theNT at the Gold Cup isn't proven at all by this.

Rudyjax
AG
Where did I say that that? Why must you poop on my excitement for the future?

The only reason I would have Adams or Sargent on the U20 team is if they're not going to play in the Gold Cup.
PatAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

The only reason I would have Adams or Sargent on the U20 team is if they're not going to play in the Gold Cup.

Why would either of them not play? Adams definitely will be, and I would imagine Sargent will get a lot of time if not starting.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Rudyjax said:

Why would either of them not play? Adams definitely will be, and I would imagine Sargent will get a lot of time if not starting.

I don't know. Nothing surprises me about the USt
PatAg
AG
Also a good point, and I do agree that I'd like to see us take our best team to that u20 world cup.
Thunder18
AG
U-17 loses to Mexico in CONCACAF championship game in ET. US team looked much better, but hit the post 4 times in the first half
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

And he signed with Dortmund recently...the official developer of the USMNT.
Dang it. I was glad Pulisic was leaving so I could unabashedly root against those turds again.

(But good for him; hope he develops well there)
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg
AG
Wonder if it will be broadcast at all
PatAg
AG
Fs1 and Universo
Mustang1
AG

Friday, May 24
1:20 PM
Ukraine vs. USA
FS1

Monday, May 27
USA vs. Nigeria
FS1

Thursday, May 30
USA vs. Qatar
FS2
wangus12
AG
Mexico losing to Italy after 3 minutes
OregonAggie
AG
Mustang1 said:

Friday, May 24
Ukraine vs. USA
FS1

Monday, May 27
USA vs. Nigeria
FS1

Thursday, May 30
USA vs. Qatar
FS2

Thanks for posting that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.