Hydration Breaks Required

1,047 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mathguy64
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found the below on the NCAA.org website.

Hydration breaks approved in men's and women's soccer
Rule kicks in when wet-bulb globe temperature reaches 86 degrees
April 23, 2019 2:59pmGreg Johnson
During a teleconference Monday, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved hydration breaks at a set time during each half of men's and women's soccer matches for the 2019-20 academic year.
The proposal from the NCAA Men's and Women's Soccer Rules Committee was based on a recommendation from the NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports.
The new rule will be applied when the wet-bulb globe temperature is at least 86 degrees.
The hydration breaks will occur between the 25- and 30-minute marks of the first half and the 70- and 75-minute marks of the second half and last for a minimum of two minutes. Appropriate host personnel will conduct temperature measurements before and throughout the game.
Appropriate host personnel will instruct the on-field officials if the threshold for hydration breaks is met. The referee is responsible for informing the head coaches and implementing the hydration breaks. Additional breaks are permissible at the discretion of the referee.
The wet-bulb globe temperature is a measure of heat stress in direct sunlight that accounts for temperature, humidity, wind speed, angle of the sun and cloud cover. Schools that do not already own wet-bulb globe thermometers must buy them. The cost is minimal.

I would think the Meteorology Department has plenty of wet bulb thermometers. Maybe they will give partial credit for a student doing this at our games.
aTmAg
AG
My daughter will appreciate this.
CDub06
AG
I've also needed a water break during many Sunday afternoon Aggie soccer games.
young eugene
AG
Seems excessive to mandate it. I remember in club we would take water breaks when the coaches would agree to it, usually during tournaments or when it felt like 95+ outside. Also, don't they have unlimited subs? If a player is tired or thirsty why wouldn't they just get subbed off?
aTmAg
AG
young eugene said:

Seems excessive to mandate it. I remember in club we would take water breaks when the coaches would agree to it, usually during tournaments or when it felt like 95+ outside. Also, don't they have unlimited subs? If a player is tired or thirsty why wouldn't they just get subbed off?
You do not have unlimited subs. In the first half, when you get subbed you are done for the half. In the 2nd half you can get subbed out and then go back in one more time. (weird I know)
Mathguy64
AG
FIFA mandates them at certain wet bulb temperatures. Last year in the State Cup in Round Rock we did them. Heck last August here in town for the Aggieland Challenge Friendlies it was so hot and humid we were doing 2 water breaks per half at one point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.