Away goals

1,617 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeffk
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this really a good tie breaker. It has not really changed the way teams play on the road IMHO.
eiggA2002
AG
I believe UEFA is discussing alternatives or to do away with it all together. However, it doesn't seem to frustrate many until their team loses because of it.
bbattbq01
AG
I'm a city fan so obviously hate it after going out of champs league 2 of last 3 seasons on it now I think... but did any neutral fan really want that game to end today????
DeangeloVickers
AG
It makes the most sense

It's honestly better than PKs and each team knows what they have to do before the game
jeffdjohnson
Extra Time + PK > Away Goals
DeangeloVickers
AG
I HATE PKs deciding this sport

Those last moments were WAY better than PKs
deadbq03
AG
I'd love to see data behind it, because I'm pulling this out of a hat here, but I gotta think that extra time favors the home team.

Home advantage seems to be stronger in soccer than any other sport. I like rewarding teams who take care of business there and then prove they can get points on the road too.

That said, I don't like it when both matches are draws and one game happens to have more goals than the other. I'm not sure why that feels different to me, but it does.
DeangeloVickers
AG
bbattbq01 said:

I'm a city fan so obviously hate it after going out of champs league 2 of last 3 seasons on it now I think... but did any neutral fan really want that game to end today????

City lost because they didn't play 1st team in London
bbattbq01
AG
Ryno01 said:

bbattbq01 said:

City lost because they didn't play 1st team in London

Can't disagree. I did a big wtf when line up came out last week but can understand Peps thinking. 3 comps and that was the "least" important match, need to rest people sometime.
AustinScubaAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'd love to see data behind it, because I'm pulling this out of a hat here, but I gotta think that extra time favors the home team.

Home advantage seems to be stronger in soccer than any other sport. I like rewarding teams who take care of business there and then prove they can get points on the road too.

That said, I don't it when both matches are draws and one game happens to have more goals than the other. I'm not sure why that feels different to me, but it does.
Would be best to do a third match if tied on total goal. Play at a neutral site. If domestic cups can have a replay why not champions league.
agsalaska
AG
Ryno01 said:

It makes the most sense

It's honestly better than PKs and each team knows what they have to do before the game
I agree. I hate PKs.

In my world single elimination games would just be replayed, similar to the FA Cup(though that may change soon). I understand that's no longer doable, but still.

In a situation like a two legged event Away goals is the best solution IMHO.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Dre_00
I think it's the English League Cup that goes to extra time in the semi final round if the aggregate is tied at the end of the 2nd game and then goes to away goals if it's still tied at the end of extra time. Not sure if that's still the case but I know they used to do it that way. It's an interesting thought if nothing else and at least tries to find a middle ground.
jeffk
AG
I'd prefer ET and then letting away goals break the tie instead of pks.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

I'd prefer ET and then letting away goals carry break the tie instead of pks.
I like that idea.
deadbq03
AG
I think you could get away with it domestically because there's fewer moving parts.

Trying to do it in the UEFA competitions would frequently result in Mon/Tues games with teams playing a league or domestic cup game on Weds/Thurs and then another league game on Sat/Sun. One or both teams would have to make very hard personnel decisions and would have a tougher time in the other games that week because of fatigue.

This is just how sports go. Tightly contested games/series could always have gone the other way if things were different. At some point, like Ryan said, in all competitions in all sports, both teams know what they have to do, so the one who gets it done deserves it. And on the flip side, the "we ran out of time" or "we got hosed by the refs" or whatever feeds the drama, which if we're honest with ourselves is what makes sports fun. Games aren't meant to be played on paper.
OregonAggie
AG
I'm probably my a loner here but I like the away goal rule. It's an added wrinkle to the games and we wouldn't have had that crazy ending yesterday without it. As another poster said, ET on the 2nd leg would basically give the home team that day an advantage over the away team.

I think it's great because of the number of boring games I've seen over the years in world cups or euros where teams are playing too conservative and the game just trudges along. This rule does incentivize attacking play away instead of bus parking.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jeffk said:

I'd prefer ET and then letting away goals break the tie instead of pks.
It's a good idea, but I think that you'll see a lot of resistance from the leagues, clubs, and players for that. That is because the away goals makes extra time a real rarity in a high-stakes competition that is already a serious intrusion into domestic campaigns.

Ultimately, I think you just have to leave it as-is. I know in the round of 16 that group winners get the second leg at home. It would be interesting to see more robust seeding (as in actually ranking the final 8 from 1-8) and then giving the highest seed the second match at home against the lowest remaining seed all the way to the final.
AG@RICE
AG
Leave the game alone.
deadbq03
AG
Speaking of away goals, if you've got time/ability to catch the 2nd half of Frankfurt-Benfica, it ought to be worth watching. First half was fantastic... capped off with the Benfica manager getting sent off.
jeffk
AG
Oh, yeah. I don't see them changing it up at all either, that's just my personal preference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.