UCLA Soccer in on Admissions Scandal

1,574 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now, this is surprising to me. UCLA, a storied program and one that was competing for a national title carried a player with ZERO experience on their star studded team.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ucla-admissions-soccer-recruit-20190319-story.html

Quote:

Her fellow freshmen were heralded as the second-best recruiting class in the nation. It included the top recruit in the country, a member of the Canadian national team, and five players on the U.S. youth national team. A university press release quoted head coach Amanda Cromwell saying, "When all is said and done, this class may be one of the best."
Isackson did not play competitive soccer before matriculating at UCLA, prosecutors say, and yet for an entire season she was listed as a midfielder on the roster of a team that finished the 2017 season as runner-up to national champion Stanford.
aTmAg
AG
You say Stanford in your post, but I assume you meant ucla?
biobioprof
Would love to know how they handled this on the team. Did she go to practice? Did they pretend she was injured?

Does this cost the coach her job?

Will this lead to unrestricted transfers?
mullokmotx
AG
Will be interesting to hear what the UCLA coach has to say. If she says she didn't know who the girl was, then does that mean she doesn't know her own roster? If the coach did see her practice then did the coach not realize this girl couldn't play?
Some teams have big rosters. When we played UNC in Chapel Hill in 2013 they had a whole bunch of girls come out of the stands to join the team after the game since I believe there is a roster limit for NCAA tournament games.
akm91
AG
Stanford soccer wasn't involved in the scandal but their sailing program was.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
CDub06
AG
Yeah, I obviously meant UCLA as my title suggests. Not sure why I typed Stanford in the post. My bad.
CDub06
AG
mullokmotx said:

Will be interesting to hear what the UCLA coach has to say. If she says she didn't know who the girl was, then does that mean she doesn't know her own roster? If the coach did see her practice then did the coach not realize this girl couldn't play?
Exactly. There's no way Cromwell didn't know about this.

An interesting twist is that the men's soccer coach was involved in this (as was the USC program).

Quote:

Isackson's parents began conspiring with Singer in 2015 to have their daughter admitted as an athletic recruit, according to an indictment unsealed last week. Their first choice was USC, but because of a "clerical error," Isackson's fake athletic profile was diverted to the normal admissions process in February 2017, foiling Singer's scheme, according to an FBI affidavit.

Singer then sent the fake athletic profile of Isackson in May 2016 to Ali Khosroshahin, a former USC women's soccer coach, who passed it onto Salcedo (UCLA Men's Soccer Coach), prosecutors say. Khosroshahin has also been indicted on charges of conspiracy to commit racketeering.

Salcedo sent the girl's transcript and test scores to an unnamed UCLA women's soccer coach, according to the indictment. About a month later, the "UCLA Student-Athlete Admissions Committee" approved Isackson for admittance as a recruited non-scholarship athlete, the indictment says.
aTmAg
AG
mullokmotx said:

Some teams have big rosters. When we played UNC in Chapel Hill in 2013 they had a whole bunch of girls come out of the stands to join the team after the game since I believe there is a roster limit for NCAA tournament games.
I'm not sure if it's a NCAA rule, but lots of school have a "travel team" that is a subset of the girls on the roster. Some even have two practices: one for girls who typically start and play a lot, and another for everybody else. So it's possible that the starting team had no idea who this girl was and didn't noticing anything weird, but I would think the 2nd team would notice. Perhaps the girl was on an injured status and never showed up?

My daughter's school had two sisters on the roster, one was able to play, and the other was told by doctors in high school she could never play again due to a heart condition. She was given a partial scholarship anyway, and was a trainer/equipment manager, but she wasn't on the roster as a player, but as a trainer.

BTW, there is no way in hell the coach wouldn't be 100% knowledgeable.
deadbq03
AG
It's a rare thing, but I know in college football there are cases where guys are heavily recruited, show up with a severe injury and then ride the rest of their time in college getting a full scholarship but not counting against scholarship limits due to their medical condition. The idea being that it builds goodwill with recruits/players and it's really just a drop in the bucket for large athletic programs.

Maybe it's a thing in soccer too? If so, it'd be really easy to explain the situation to current players (although it'd still be odd that the player never came around to hangout, do weight training, etc; or that no one ever met the person during recruitment).

Also... it'd be interesting to see the compliance record. Did this student have athletic department folks coming to check in on class attendance/performance? If not, that's a new level of folks in the AD that had to be in the loop about this. If so, did this girl have to continually live the lie to play the compliance game?
jeffk
AG
mullokmotx
AG
Found a 2017 UCLA team photo. There are 27 girls in the photo and 28 on the roster. Guess who is not in the photo.
I doubt if any of these players thought by playing soccer for UCLA they might have to give depositions.
CDub06
AG
That's how we've been able to successfully recruit California. "Come play in Texas, you won't have to give a deposition."
biobioprof
CDub06 said:

That's how we've been able to successfully recruit California. "Come play in Texas, you won't have to give a deposition."
tu tennis is also involved, IIRC.
CDub06
AG
Yes, their coach got fired for this.

I was simply speaking from our standpoint. A&M recruits Cali. USC & UCLA have been implicated. Come on out to College Station and get away from that mess
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.