Messi

15,569 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AGC
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/barcelona/83/blog/post/3803969/lionel-messi-routinely-delivers-magic-for-barcelona-but-his-third-goal-vs-betis-was-interstellar
gambochaman
AG
Saw it live
Lost my ****
snowdog90
gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

What other player even thinks of taking that shot? He is the most incredible player of any sport I've ever seen.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was the video on that link or not because ESPN doesn't have rights to the game?
AG@RICE
AG
snowdog90 said:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/barcelona/83/blog/post/3803969/lionel-messi-routinely-delivers-magic-for-barcelona-but-his-third-goal-vs-betis-was-interstellar
You are bad at the internet.

A link that actually has the video
aTmAg
AG
Clearly GOAT in my book
Truvada_for_prep
If Ronaldo wins Cl with juve he will be the goat.
wangus12
AG
snowdog90 said:

gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

What other player even thinks of taking that shot? He is the most incredible player of any sport I've ever seen.

Nic Lodeiro took the almost the exact same shot for the Seattle Sounders this weekend against Chicago. Granted his was barely saved.

Messi's ability to make that look so smooth is ridiculous

And here is a version for the thread that you don't have to link.

TXAggie2011
AG
The Betis fans could do nothing but stand up and clap. Wow.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Been watching YouTube videos for the last hour. Just stupid sick.
OregonAggie
AG
Louis botha said:

If Ronaldo wins Cl with juve he will be the goat.

Why does that make him the greatest?

If I'm building a team around one player today, it's Messi. Messi has a ton more goals and assists this year compared to Ronaldo. He's also a player that, in my opinion, makes others around him better. I don't classify Ronaldo as that.
aTmAg
AG

Mike Elko
AG
snowdog90 said:

gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

Answer: Raul did it vs Gijon in 1997/98, and Frank Lampard in recent memory. Although brilliant, others have done the same (if not better).
aTmAg
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

snowdog90 said:

gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

Answer: Raul did it vs Gijon in 1997/98, and Frank Lampard in recent memory. Although brilliant, others have done the same (if not better).
Better in what way? Messi's was pretty much the perfect placement. At best, I can see the others being equal.

Do you have a link to video?
aTmAg
AG
nm
OregonAggie
AG
That's an awesome graphic.
wangus12
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

snowdog90 said:

gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

Bergkamp had one as well.
deadbq03
AG
I agree. Fantastic.

I would like to see the same chart with penalty goals added, but at a lesser rate, maybe each penalty goal counting as perhaps 10% of a regular goal. I understand removing them completely, but I'd argue that it shows that a player has good composure and finishing skills if they're a regular penalty taker for their team, so I think it ought to provide a slight bonus.

Also I'd like to add an obligatory "Pogba is overrated."
Mathguy64
AG
Deuce against Juve in Europa League. Not a one timer but still...

Ag-in-a-Box
AG
Was just about to post this same goal. Think Fulham even voted this one of their greatest goals.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
A great shot but not uncommon .
aTmAg
AG
To me, what made this shot special was not the mere fact that it was a chip over the goalie (Messi does those all the time), it was that the goalie was in a good position to not be chipped (making the tolerance really small) and that it was a one timer from a medium pace ball coming from an angle. Balls coming right at you (or barely moving) are a lot easier to chip where you want. Neither of those are the case here. Hell even professional players on the opposing team recognized the quality of that shot. They would know better than any of us.
OregonAggie
AG
mathguy86 said:

Deuce against Juve in Europa League. Not a one timer but still...

The call was awesome and Burley's comments at the end were great too.

I forgot about that goal.
AGC
AG
Hat tip for coming up with Raul. Guy was class and fun to watch.
Mike Elko
AG
aTmAg said:

AustinAg2012 said:

snowdog90 said:

gambochaman said:

Saw it live
Lost my ****

Better in what way? Messi's was pretty much the perfect placement. At best, I can see the others being equal.

Do you have a link to video?
Just in case...

Raul:

Lampard (Ironically, vs Barca):

For my money, both are better. All three are great, though.
bagger05
AG
I don't know, man. Messi's caught the underside of the crossbar. And the commentator for Messi's s##t a squirrel in the aftermath of his which has to be worth something. All three are awesome. Tough call and arguments could be made for all three.
aTmAg
AG
For my money, neither are better. The first one was was so high that the goalie was able to get a hand on it. The second one was a slow roller going right at him. Messi's was more difficult and better placed.
wangus12
AG
bagger05 said:

I don't know, man. Messi's caught the underside of the crossbar. And the commentator for Messi's s##t a squirrel in the aftermath of his which has to be worth something. All three are awesome. Tough call and arguments could be made for all three.
I'm sorry, have you never heard Ray Hudson do commentary. He is the greatest ever. And he does that for every goal, especially Messi's.

****, I'd watch him call grass growing

Mike Elko
AG
To each their own. Raul used the outside of his foot to get that chip effect. Much more difficult than Messi's. And the fact that neither nicked the post means better touch/placement in my mind. Granted, only one of the three allowed the GK to get a hand. All are amazing, so no complaints here.
aTmAg
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

To each their own. Raul used the outside of his foot to get that chip effect. Much more difficult than Messi's. And the fact that neither nicked the post means better touch/placement in my mind. Granted, only one of the three allowed the GK to get a hand. All are amazing, so no complaints here.
The others had more room to work with. Messi had a couple feet tops.

I assume you are a Ronaldo fan boy?
gambochaman
AG
+1 for ray hudson
I recently found his talk show on sirius in the morning....my commutes are so much better now
PatAg
AG
Personally, I think the standing ovation is more for the hattrick and overall domination in the game. The goal is good, but I dont have it as a "best ever" goal.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

Personally, I think the standing ovation is more for the hattrick and overall domination in the game. The goal is good, but I dont have it as a "best ever" goal.
I agree. I think his Maradona-esq goal is his best ever. But he has so many amazing goals that if anybody else made them, it would be their best goal ever. I'm also a big fan of this goal against Arsenal in the championship league. To have the calmness and ability to touch the ball like that blows me away.
gambochaman
AG
I dont know if I mavel more at Messi's finish on that, or Iniesta's abracadabra assist
aTmAg
AG
gambochaman said:

I dont know if I mavel more at Messi's finish on that, or Iniesta's abracadabra assist
Both are great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.