USWNT sues US Soccer for discrimination

3,626 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jeffk
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate the timing of this...but I think the timing is exactly why it's happening.

Quote:

Three months before kickoff for the Women's World Cup, players for the U.S. women's national team filed a gender discrimination lawsuit Friday against the U.S. Soccer Federation.

All 28 members of the team were named as plaintiffs in the case filed in United States District Court in Los Angeles, and they are seeking class-action status over "institutionalized gender discrimination" toward the team. The lawsuit was filed under the Equal Pay Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

"Despite the fact that these female and male players are called upon to perform the same job responsibilities on their teams and participate in international competitions for their single common employer, the USSF, the female players have been consistently paid less money than their male counterparts," the lawsuit said. "This is true even though their performance has been superior to that of the male players -- with the female players, in contrast to male players, becoming world champions."
Quote:

In 2016, five members of the U.S. women's national soccer team filed a similar complaint against the U.S. Soccer Federation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

That filing noted that, despite the women's team generating nearly $20 million more revenue in 2015 than the U.S. men's team, the women are paid about a quarter of what the men earn. No action was taken on that complaint, and Friday's filing will effectively end the EEOC's involvement.

The team took the fight into contract negotiations and struck a collective bargaining agreement in 2017 that runs through 2021.

So normally, I'd look at it like the NBA/WNBA. Want to earn more?...make yourself worth more (or pick a different line of work). But since they did generate more than the men in the past, that changes the conversation.

But is 2015 an anomaly? It looks to be a pretty large anomaly, based on the 2015 Women's World Cup and victory tour. And in that year, after expenses, the women's profit was only 6 million for US Soccer. The US Men's team made 2 million that year (without a World Cup to boost their bottom line like the women's team).

It's also worth noting that the previous time the ladies sued, it was to push for a new CBA...and they had a huge amount leverage after winning the WC. Seems like this might be a case of, 'it worked last time, let's do it again'.

Below is an article from 2016, where it broke down the pay scale. The top woman made 1.2mm, the top man made 1.4mm...and in some cases, the women made more than their male counterpart. But as you go down the list to #25-50, the disparity is large. But shouldn't that be expected? I've turned on the TV to see if someone down the player pool list was going to play for the UMNT, but how many people do that for the USWNT?

The article does a good job of explaining the complicated revenue/pay situation: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html

It's also interesting to note, that the 2017 numbers from the US showed a huge revenue jump, due to the Copa America tournament...which is due to the Mens side. Then you have the Men's WC, where they get paid a Lot more, the Gold Cup, etc...

All this to say....it's going to be an interesting battle. The Men have the capability to generate more, and often do...but when they dont, should that be considered? Is it already based on the top pay scale for both?
AustinScubaAg
AG
I posed this in politics since it seem more relevant there.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3024883
AustinScubaAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I hate the timing of this...but I think the timing is exactly why it's happening.

It's also worth noting that the previous time the ladies sued, it was to push for a new CBA...and they had a huge amount leverage after winning the WC. Seems like this might be a case of, 'it worked last time, let's do it again'.
That worked out so well for the team. The quarter final exit from the olympics right after the squabble.
AgGrad99
AG
I almost posted it there...but didn't.

Thanks for the assist.

I'm curious to see what comes of this.
PatAg
AG
Someone posted this on the last thread this happened, but they did major cherry picking with the data they used.
Expert Analysis
AG
how much do they make at their regular football jobs that they leave to take part in the national team? that is the only argument needed.
wangus12
AG
After watching the team in the SheBelieves Cup, don't be shocked if they get bounced early in the knockout rounds. There's potentially having to play Spain, France and England all before getting to the final in the way the knockout sets up.
bigjag19
AG
Fine. Agree to pay strictly for appearances. The 30 of so that leaves in the dust every time will quickly turn on the others. Take out the guaranteed money and benefits.

Of course exhibitions will be greatly cut as the appearance fees will be too much and it can't cover.

So the standard set the men play basically.

For olmypics, pay them what the men's Olympic team would be paid (mostly non-major players).

Once the bottom half realizes how quickly the top half will be screwing them...
gig them
AG
Another angle to consider - in large parts, the USWNT drives the WWC. That's not exactly the case on the men's side, and 2018 proved that. Should that matter? Is it quantifiable? How much of our Gold Cup revenue comes from El Tri supporters that couldn't give a flip about their women's side?

I do agree with the other posters that note the likely outcome that trues up the top end of the player pool and bones the girls who rarely get call ups
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Here's my comment from the politics board. Long story short, comparing what the USSF pays the men v the women is completely irrelevant.

Like I've said repeatedly on this thread: men's soccer and women's soccer - though cosmetically similar - are completely different skills in completely different markets. It would be like trying to figure out how much you should pay a car mechanic based on how much you pay an accountant.

It makes no difference what you pay the men relative to the women. If you don't pay the men enough they won't show up because national team duty is a risk to their primary source of income (their salary from their club).

For the women, the national team is their job and primary source of income. What the men make is a red herring but an easy way to get political sympathy. The USSF values the women's team at a specific level and funds it as such. To make the team a consistent winner, the have to pay enough to maintain the player pool (because the club market can't and won't). On top of everything else, they have no reason to over pay for their players. That they don't like how that compares to what the men make is irrelevant.
MidTnAg
AG
Surprised this has not already occurred.
Smokedraw01
wangus12 said:

After watching the team in the SheBelieves Cup, don't be shocked if they get bounced early in the knockout rounds. There's potentially having to play Spain, France and England all before getting to the final in the way the knockout sets up.

It any understanding that the lineup and the way they played in the SheBieves Cup was more of a practice round. In 2015 everyone thought the USWNT was playing terrible and they ended up doing okay then.
Kramer
AG
USSF has responded. Doesn't look particularly good for the girls.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
Kramer
AG
So they went to mediation but talks broke down. It appears they are headed to federal court.
who?mikejones
AG
Well, this went well for them
PatAg
AG
Turns out that not everything in the world is decided via social media
who?mikejones
AG
Who'd thunk it. Social media still thinks the judge is wrong
PatAg
AG
who?mikejones said:

All they had to do was be reasonable in what they sued for. There were things that came up, if I remember correctly, that were definitely not right. I think I remember the per diem not being equal, for instance. Once they started their public crusade with clearly modified numbers, they lost my support.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Wow a judge with common sense
jeffk
AG
who?mikejones said:

Joe Biden too apparently.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.