Injuries and putting the ball out of play

835 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
ptothemo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Few things up front: 1) I'm going to try to do this concisely but it may be scatter shooting a bit, 2) I can probably google it and find more information but would prefer the discussion; 3) there is probably a lot of subjectivity here so I am really just interested in the viewpoints.

I didn't grow up with soccer even being a thing in my world but have really grown to become a fan in the past ten to 15 years (stereotypical FIFA, EPL, NBC Sports convert). One thing that I still feel that I don't completely understand is putting the ball out of play when someone is injured. I totally get that there is a sportsmanship and fair play aspect to it but I don't think that I completely understand it. I also understand that a team doesn't have to do this, but it anecdotally seems to me that it is done more often than not.

So, is it generally accepted that putting the ball out of play is serving the purpose of:

1) allowing the injured player to get medical attention from the physio?
2) allowing the other team to not play a man down?
3) some combination of both?

For those of you who have played, coached, refereed, whatever, is there something more to the unwritten rules about when to put the ball out and when to not? For example, if a team feels that a player is faking an injury (totally subjective in the world of soccer, I know), are they more entitled or inclined to not put the ball out? From a refereeing perspective, I know that head injuries now stop the game automatically, so that part isn't really what I am looking for here. I am more talking about the opposing team voluntarily doing it.
wangus12
AG
Since the game basically doesn't have any stoppages unless the ball goes out of play, players cannot receive medical treatment until said stoppage. Its definitely more of a sportsmanship thing to get the injured player some help. There is no obligation to do so. Refs also have the power to stop play for something that they believe needs immediate attention
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Pretty much agree with what Wangus said. When I played, there was also some element of self-policing involved. If a player goes down and it's obvious simulation or it's a big overreaction to a soft foul, he won't get the benefit of the doubt.

The other time it's controversial is in the waning minutes of a highly competitive match. Usually when a player goes down in that situation, its a real injury but because of a shortage of time remaining, players will keep going.

But the general practice is for whoever to play the ball out of bounds and then for the opposite team to return the ball on the inbound.

When the ref has to make a call to stop play, he'll frequently restart play with a dropped ball, except that he will just drop the ball to the team that had possession's goal keeper instead of having a player from the other team involved as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.