Travel within the EPL

1,449 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BullSprig07
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Honest question...England is not a large geographical place, so how do the teams travel to games? If Chelsea play Crystal Palace do they take a team bus? Of course London traffic is terrible. What if City play at Fulham; do they fly into London, stay in a hotel the night before and bus to Fulham? Really, maybe the travelling side takes a rail car into London and move about that way?

I've been to London a few times but have always wondered how these guys get from match to match; any idea?
Peace for Ukraine!
mrmill3218
AG
I believe they take a team bus.
monarch
S
Sounds like playing Double A baseball in the US. On the other hand, I really don't think there are any two points in the EPL that you need to or can fly back and forth to. Playing on the continent- fly by chartered jet. Anything else- take a bus.

Thanks.

AA

Peace for Ukraine!
agsalaska
AG
mrmill3218 said:

I believe they take a team bus.
Or a train
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
An Ag in CO
AG
Manchester City takes the train to London.

TexasA&M
AG
I've always wondered about this too.
JJxvi
AG
You can get clear across the entire country by train in a couple hours, especially if your destination or starting point is a major city. But I would imagine that for most extremes, like say Bournemouth vs Newcastle, or other long distances with tricky routes that you'd be flying a charter.
JJxvi
AG
Apparently Arsenal was once criticized for taking a 15 minute flight from London to Norwich
agsalaska
AG
My guess is, other than the top 4 or 5 clubs, most have never flown to a domestic game in their histories. And even those 4 or 5 rarely if ever do. Thay flight to Norwich was a one off.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
monarch
S
I figured they were taking a train in most cases. Then again, Craven Cottage and Stamford Bridge are maybe two miles apart. Look at Everton and Liverpool- you can see both locations from the roof top of the other.

Have always wondered about this. Thanks for everybody's input.
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
How many of y'all have witnessed an EPL match in the UK, regardless of who played? I saw United play at Selhurst Park vs Crystal Palace back in 2015 but schedules didn't allow me to catch anybody else.

Peace for Ukraine!
bbattbq01
AG
Saw city play Swansea at the Etihad in 2015. Took the train up to Manchester for the day from London when visiting for anniversary.
eiggA2002
AG
I'm headed to Liverpool for a match at Anfield this Fall. Not sure which match yet since fixtures don't come out until Summer. Hoping to catch a match with a Championship club in London later in the week as well.
wangus12
AG
Seen most of the teams in the greater London. A whole bunch at Highbury to watch Arsenal
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Saw West Ham in their last season at Upton Park. Having experienced the stadium and Green Street before/after, I really feel for their supporters and the reality of the very soulless Olympic Stadium. That was maybe a 20 minute tube ride from central London.

Saw Everton v. Liverpool at Goodison Park a couple years back. Liverpool is not really on the map as a tourist destination but it's actually a really cool town. As for Goodison Park itself, the place is an absolute dump. It's really good that Everton is finally making headway on a new stadium in the Liverpool docklands. There are very few seats in the entire stadium that don't have obstructed sight lines. Match day experience was amazing and it was a bucket list item.
Dre_00
Saw Man United play Liverpool at Old Trafford back in 2010. Also saw Newcastle play S****horpe back when Newcastle were in the Championship.

Funny side story on how EPL teams travel...read this Twitter thread.

ptothemo
AG
I just read the article about the Twitter thread on ESPN and came over here to post the link, good stuff!
BullSprig07
AG
LMAO! The screenshots of the exchange with the parents, so much innocent ignorance.

The response by Paul Pogba is great
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.