***USMNT 2019***

93,394 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's probably because of the sun, but lol.

PatAg
AG
They also are most likely having this discussion between physical training sessions too, so tired/sore.

Still funny though
Rudyjax
AG
The future is US.

Zardes and Arriola.

Not Pulisic and McKennie or Adams or Boyd any other Eurobased player.

Am I reading to much into this, or is this just an MLS marketing ploy that the MLS is as good for Americans as playing overseas?
Furlock Bones
AG
the sad thing is that the MLS has been great...for other Concacaf teams. the MLS best aren't Americans.
tysker
AG
Furlock Bones said:

the sad thing is that the MLS has been great...for other Concacaf teams. the MLS best aren't Americans.
US fans have been underwriting the development of CONCAAF players willing to work for MLS, USL, etc on the cheap. Hard to know if it's a feature or a bug
Furlock Bones
AG
tysker said:

Furlock Bones said:

US fans have been underwriting the development of CONCAAF players willing to work for MLS, USL, etc on the cheap. Hard to know if it's a feature or a bug
yep. Houston Dynamo are a prime example.
OregonAggie
AG
I think you're reading into it too much.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

Probably so but if those two are the future of our tea,m, we're in trouble.
fig96
AG
I Am Mine said:

OregonAggie said:

Keep in mind that marketing/social media probably has little to no interaction with the actual coaching staff.

I think we all know the future of the USMNT starts in Germany.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

I Am Mine said:

OregonAggie said:

Keep in mind that marketing/social media probably has little to no interaction with the actual coaching staff.

I think we all know the future of the USMNT starts in Germany.

I guess they're marketing the MLS children.
Bryan98
AG
tysker said:

Furlock Bones said:

As much as I resonate with this, I also think that we should be beating everyone but Mexico regardless of whether we develop their players for them. The aforementioned Houston Dynamo now employs what, four Honduran starters, but those guys didn't make the World Cup. We spanked them 6-0 in Arena's first game as coach, and drew 1-1 in the away leg.

The other CONCACAF nations should not be a long-term threat to the US. Most of our issues are self-inflicted.

As far as the benefits of MLS for Americans, I think it's hard to imagine that not having a healthy domestic league would be preferable for the development of the sport and its players in our country. Kids need to grow up in a place where soccer is a bigtime, aspirational sport. That wasn't the case when I was young. This is better, the game is on the rise here, and it will continue to grow over time.
Rudyjax
AG
I agree but saying the MLS is a premier league doesn't make it so.

And that what I feel the USSF is doing.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bryan98 said:

tysker said:

Furlock Bones said:

As much as I resonate with this, I also think that we should be beating everyone but Mexico regardless of whether we develop their players for them. The aforementioned Houston Dynamo now employs what, four Honduran starters, but those guys didn't make the World Cup. We spanked them 6-0 in Arena's first game as coach, and drew 1-1 in the away leg.

The other CONCACAF nations should not be a long-term threat to the US. Most of our issues are self-inflicted.

As far as the benefits of MLS for Americans, I think it's hard to imagine that not having a healthy domestic league would be preferable for the development of the sport and its players in our country. Kids need to grow up in a place where soccer is a bigtime, aspirational sport. That wasn't the case when I was young. This is better, the game is on the rise here, and it will continue to grow over time.

Totally agree. But currently much of the league has found superior value in foreign players from Honduras/Jamaica etc that are more than willing to play for significantly less money. And why not? They get to come to the US and live a better life. I would bet there are a number of US players every year trying to decide do I keep plugging away making 40K a year or go get a job.

My post was more of an acknowledgement of where the league currently is rather than a right/wrong post.
Rudyjax
AG
Just a reminder.

A dominating performance is going to happen tonight and all it means is Guyana sucks.
JJxvi
AG
Thanks
ja86
AG
I Am Mine said:

Just a reminder.

A dominating performance is going to happen tonight and all it means is Guyana sucks.
Well at least a dominating performance is better than a 1-nil squeaker. They need some success in the system to gain confidence even if it is only Guyana.
fig96
AG
MLS minimum is around 56k and average nonDP salary is 345k per their latest survey. These guys aren't struggling to pay the rent anymore.
Rudyjax
AG
ja86 said:

I Am Mine said:

Just a reminder.

Well at least a dominating performance is better than a 1-nil squeaker. They need some success in the system to gain confidence even if it is only Guyana.

A 1 nil squeaker is reason to be very concerned.
Rudyjax
AG
What do y'all think?

Furlock Bones
AG
fig96 said:

MLS minimum is around 56k and average nonDP salary is 345k per their latest survey. These guys aren't struggling to pay the rent anymore.
think the point still stands. you're going to get significantly more people from other concacaf nations to play for less money.
PatAg
AG
We should every player with the team, right now, that will matter going forward
Maybe next gold cup isn't as important, but we are trying to establish a system and see who fits in it
PatAg
AG
I also imagine the MLS might enact a rule similar to what England did, where a percentage of your team has to be American.

I also don't think anyone is arguing the MLS is a tier 1 league, but I personally think it's on par with the 2nd tier leagues. The advantage to playing in a European 2nd tier league is the possibility of league play, more exposure to the top tier, and once you are over there it's easier to move to another league.
fig96
AG
Furlock Bones said:

fig96 said:

think the point still stands. you're going to get significantly more people from other concacaf nations to play for less money.
Theoretically this is true early on, but it's not like a player who excels is going to settle for less money on his next contract.

Might a player from a less developed nation be willing to take less up front? Maybe, but I don't think it amounts to any significant difference than an early career American player who isn't ready or good enough to go overseas.

Now, does having a very accessible league with a lot of development benefit players from other nations more? That's a different question.
deadbq03
AG
salloh_tamu said:

What are some thoughts on Tyler Boyd? LW/ST who is a dual national with New Zealand. He is 24 and is holding out for the US to come calling....

He had 5 goals and 3 assists in the Super Lig this year....
I felt compelled to go back to page 4 and give this a blue star. He was fantastic last night. I'm glad GB called him up... like PatAg mentioned, he's the kinda player that would've been overlooked in the past.
jeffk
AG
Just wanted to share with you all that as of this morning I am finally the proud owner of a Kyle Beckerman USMNT jersey.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Which one?
wangus12
AG
Good lord why?
jeffk
AG
This one. It's not my favorite, but I already have a bomb pop jersey and the centennial and Waldos are almost impossible to find.

jeffk
AG
wangus12 said:

Good lord why?

Shut your pie-hole.

I don't know, I've always had a thing for scrappy, slow, defensive-minded players. I used to play holding mid and marking back in my youth.
jeffk
AG
I forget that some of you haven't been around this board very long. I've been a KBeck stan for a good long while now.
PatAg
AG
This man fought the good fight for Beckerman.

I've also been basically unable to find a Waldo jersey, it's very frustrating
JJxvi
AG
Has basically everyone realized now that the Waldo's are the best and most iconic jersey combination we've ever had? I feel like even the current mens jersey is a nod to going back to that theme. Although they still havent given up the idiotic ghost that we are somehow classy and historic just with a white t-shirt for world cups, judging by the women's shirt.
OregonAggie
AG
deadbq03 said:

salloh_tamu said:

What are some thoughts on Tyler Boyd? LW/ST who is a dual national with New Zealand. He is 24 and is holding out for the US to come calling....

I felt compelled to go back to page 4 and give this a blue star. He was fantastic last night. I'm glad GB called him up... like PatAg mentioned, he's the kinda player that would've been overlooked in the past.

I think the kid looked great last night and might stabilize our right wing spot....BUT it was against Guyana. Wondo scored tons of MLS goals and also put in probably 10-12 goals for the USMNT against a ton of minnows. Let's see how he looks against T&T and Panama. Then Costa Rica or Mexico.

Good news is he's young and I'm excited to see him grow. This kid could very well get a call from a side in a good Euro league and develop into a really good player. Bundesliga or Dutch League would be good fits IMO.
OregonAggie
AG
JJxvi said:

Has basically everyone realized now that the Waldo's are the best and most iconic jersey combination we've ever had? I feel like even the current mens jersey is a nod to going back to that theme. Although they still havent given up the idiotic ghost that we are somehow classy and historic just with a white t-shirt for world cups, judging by the women's shirt.

Someone else, which might have been you, said we should make them out national shirt like the Argentina stripe jersey. I'm down 100%
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

deadbq03 said:

salloh_tamu said:

I think the kid looked great last night and might stabilize our right wing spot....BUT it was against Guyana. Wondo scored tons of MLS goals and also put in probably 10-12 goals for the USMNT against a ton of minnows. Let's see how he looks against T&T and Panama. Then Costa Rica or Mexico.

Good news is he's young and I'm excited to see him grow. This kid could very well get a call from a side in a good Euro league and develop into a really good player. Bundesliga or Dutch League would be good fits IMO.
You know what is scary? He's the only one that looked really good. Pulisic had some flashes. McKennie had some too. Boyd looked really good the entire match.

And they went from playing the American Style Soccer (ASS) to playing more direct to get the results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.