***USMNT 2019***

93,374 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
General thread to discuss everything about the National Team outside of just game threads.
PatAg
AG
https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/03/josh-sargent-werder-bremen-usmnt?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=si-soccer&utm_medium=social
jeffk
AG
Josh Wolff (thatsanameihaventheardinalongwhile.gif) to be first assistant for the senior men's team.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

Josh Wolff (thatsanameihaventheard.gif) to be first assistant for the senior men's team.
Wolff was a USMNT player around the same time as Clint Mathis, I think.
jeffk
AG
Lol. Yeah, I didn't finish my .gif run-on. Should have ended with inalongwhile.
Rudyjax
AG
Why didn't anyone tell me Adams is with Leipzig now?

PatAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

Why didn't anyone tell me Adams is with Leipzig now?

I think because when it was announced he was still set to finish the MLS season with redbulls as part of the deal

I actually like the idea of Wolff as a coach. I don't know why exactly, it just made sense when I found out that he was.
jeffk
AG
January camp roster for the senior men's side:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0),
Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati; 10/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)

MIDFIELDERS (11): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 0/0)*, Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0)

FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)

Rudyjax
AG
Who they playing?
jeffk
AG
Pahdz
He's going to be so good, his runs and knack for being in the right place at the right time is amazing
deadbq03
AG
Pahdz said:

He's going to be so good, his runs and knack for being in the right place at the right time is amazing
Believe it or not, I'm a big Leipzig fan*, so I'm very happy to see a young American join the team. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's a marvelous situation for him.

1) As a club, Leipzig love to play young players: the average age of their starting 11 is almost always under-25, and it's dipped below 23 once this season... and they perform well with the youth, currently sitting at 4th in the league.

2) They won't shy away from putting an English-speaker in the lineup (see Ademola Lookman's loan from Everton in the back half of last year, who they liked so much they pursued for a full transfer).

3) I'm still green when it comes to soccer, but it seems like the club is well-managed. Ralf Rangnick is a brilliant Sporting Director, stepping in as manager twice (his first stint got them promoted from B2; he's currently managing in the interim while the 31 year old 2017 German Coach of the Year winner, Julian Nagelsmann finishes his Hoffenheim contract).

4) Perhaps most importantly, the former NYRB head coach Jesse Marsch is an assistant at Leipzig this year and was instrumental in bringing Adams in. (On a related note, I think it's fantastic for US coaching that we've got a guy who voluntarily stepped down from a HC position to get experience in Europe).

TLDR: I think the transition will be quick for Adams and he'll get playing time early and often.

* this is a bizarre enough choice that I feel the need to explain - after WC 2014, I had finally fallen in love with soccer enough to want to do more than simply watch major international tourneys. I spent the next couple of years watching club soccer here and there from a variety of leagues, but I was drawn to Bundesliga based on my German ancestry and the number of Americans playing there. I didn't want to simply default to Bayern or Dortmund... Leipzig's rise to Bundesliga 1, instant success, and style of play drew me in. Yes, I realize their corporate relationship and lack of any history makes them a pariah, but I don't care - in fact I see it as very fitting: a new fan of soccer became a fan of a brand-new club.
akm91
AG
I think Leipzig is the only Bundesliga club that is based in a city located in the former East Germany, which is pretty amazing even though the Berlin Wall came down almost 30 years ago.
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

I think Leipzig is the only Bundesliga club that is based in a city located in the former East Germany, which is pretty amazing even though the Berlin Wall came down almost 30 years ago.
You're correct, and that was a factor in my choosing them as well (also due to ancestry).

What's even stranger is that the situation has seemingly gotten worse as time went on. Since the Oberliga was disbanded and merged with the Bundesliga, there have been 8 seasons with no East German representation... of those 8, it was 7 in a row before Leipzig joined in 2016.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only East German team to thrive after being promoted to B1 is the only one with an infusion of corporate money that most Germans find distasteful. The locals don't give a rip though, they're happy to have top-flight football.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91
AG
Possible opponents for March Friendlies.

If it's in Orlando, I may be able to watch the team play.
gig them
AG
Chile in Houston on 3/26...
ChipFTAC01
AG
A Houston friendly would be at BBVA, right?
gig them
AG
Looks like it

akm91
AG
Good gawd, USSF's web ops totally suck. The event is not listed as of yet on their Schedules and Tickets page.

They need some professionals running the website.
PatAg
AG
DFW and Houston should definitely both be World Cup sites
OregonAggie
AG
Neymar had some very positive things to say about Weah do I figured I'd post it here. Things the Celtic loan is great for Celtic and Weah.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/celtic/story/3751637/psgs-neymar-us-starlet-timothy-weah-can-be-one-of-europes-top-attackers

stillmerk
AG
Weah made his first appearance with Celtic.
stillmerk
AG

https://streamja.com/PKwk
PatAg
AG
These young stars wont be denied.
PatAg
AG
http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/united-states/660/blog/post/3746639/how-us-prodigy-ben-ledermans-career-was-almost-ruined-at-barcelona

crazy story, the name sounds familiar
Bryan98
AG
When you do this sort of thing you need to drop a link in the previous thread.
PatAg
AG
Bryan98 said:

it wasnt even on the first page anymore
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

Bryan98 said:

it wasnt even on the first page anymore

I'm saying, so people who were in the old thread can find the new one. Otherwise, some of us won't until, say, January 20.
stillmerk
AG
PatAg
AG
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/01/22/18/56/20190122-news-mnt-gregg-berhalter-names-final-travel-roster-panama-costa-rica-friendlies
akm91
AG
Not sure what to make of Kellyn Acosta not making the friendly roster and released back to club. Did he pick up an injury?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
All MLS players. Are those friendlies outside of a European international break?
Rudyjax
AG
blindey said:

All MLS players. Are those friendlies outside of a European international break?

Yes.
Bryan98
AG
USMNT play Chile in Houston on March 26. At BBVA; I hope to be there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.