USMNT January Roster Named

1,704 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PatAg
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC), Sean Johnson (New York City FC), Tyler Miller (Los Angeles Football Club), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC)

DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles Football Club)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Paul Arriola (D.C. United ), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Russell Canouse (D.C. United), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), Christian Ramirez (Los Angeles Footballs Club), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC)

January Camp Roster out
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Purely domestic players because there isn't an ongoing international break during that time period?
ja86
AG
blindey said:

Purely domestic players because there isn't an ongoing international break during that time period?
I believe that is correct.
akm91
AG
Quote:

It's worth noting that the camp occurs outside of a FIFA international window, so clubs aren't required to release players, hence the emphasis on domestic names. Even performers who play in Scandinavia, who are outside their league seasons at the moment, were unavailable in some cases. Swedish side Malmo refused to release Romain Gall given that they have Europa league games coming up in February. All of this led Berhalter to caution against reading too much into the names included or excluded.
This is a good explanation on why it's MLS based roster.

Berhalter on the January Camp Roster
PatAg
AG
this is how the january camp always is
MookieBlaylock
AG
I recognize 2 names and they both suck
akm91
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

You mean Man City signed a player that sucks?
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

No, it means he has little knowledge of the US player pool but likes to make grandiose statements anyway.
akm91
AG
Gotcha.

Really curious to see what Berhalter plans on as system of play for USMNT. I'm not sure we can look at his Columbus team as a model since the USMNT player pool doesn't have anyone close to Higuain's ability as a No. 10.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Aston94 said:

akm91 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

No, it means he has little knowledge of the US player pool but likes to make grandiose statements anyway.

Why would I watch the crap MLS when I can watch you fifa18 fan boys blow each other over the crap league in England

Zardes and the rainbow warrior I am done with
Aston94
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Aston94 said:

akm91 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Why would I watch the crap MLS when I can watch you fifa18 fan boys blow each other over the crap league in England

Zardes and the rainbow warrior I am done with

Gotcha, all leagues suck, why would anyone care about the players that make up the USMNT?

I am not the biggest MLS fan, but I do have an understanding of our player pool and who to look for in those games. If you aren't interested that is fine, but if you are a fan of the USMNT then you ought to have a functional understanding of the MLS player pool, cause that is where most of our young players are starting.

Basketball and Chain
AG
No Wondo. That's a good start for Berhalter.
Pound the Rock
AG
What are everyone's thoughts on Trapp? He always looks lost to me in the international stage. I realize Mckinnie, Adams, Pulisic among others should supplant him in our midfield, but he's a Columbus guy.

Am I off-base with him or does his play concern anyone else?
Rudyjax
AG
MLS is such a catch 22.

It won't be good unless our best stay here but they won't be our best if they play here.

That being said, I know pretty much every American playing in Europe and follow them. I just can't see how playing in the MLS will get them ready to win a World Cup.
OregonAggie
AG
Entourageag07 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Trapp? He always looks lost to me in the international stage. I realize Mckinnie, Adams, Pulisic among others should supplant him in our midfield, but he's a Columbus guy.

I hate watching the guy against the competition we've played against this year. He'd be ok in friendlies against lesser teams but no way should he see the field against the top 6 in CONCACAF or anyone better.

With that being said, I think he should be brought in with almost all the camps early on because of his familiarity with the system. He'll help the midfield understand where they need to be. Aside from that...I don't ever want to watch him play again.
OregonAggie
AG
Rudyjax said:

MLS is such a catch 22.

It won't be good unless our best stay here but they won't be our best if they play here.

That being said, I follow pretty much every American playing in Europe and follow them. I just can't see how playing in the MLS will get them ready to win a World Cup.

100% agreement. I think MLS games can be very entertaining and it's great to watch out young guys play and excel...then go on into Europe. That's where the rubber will meet the road.

It would be great for MLS to be a top League in the world but we are decades away from that. I think the next step is being as good as Liga MX. Then being as good as the Dutch League.

Like I said, decades away.
jeffk
AG
I know he's not in this camp, but this is the most recent USMNT thread.

Weah apparently going out on loan. Possibly to Celtic if the rumors are true.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

He definitely needs playing time and that wouldn't be a bad league for him to play. Also, having Brendan Rodgers as a manager means he'll be in an attack minded system.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

jeffk said:

He definitely needs playing time and that wouldn't be a bad league for him to play. Also, having Brendan Rodgers as a manager means he'll be in an attack minded system.
yep, it's cool to be in Europe but you have to be playing
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

jeffk said:

He'll play in the Scottish League. If it were the bundesliga, epl, serie A, or la liga id be worried. Not in the Scottish League. He's going to get PT.
jessexy
AG
Entourageag07 said:

Just watch Columbus crew and you'll have an idea. They're actually very tactically advanced for MLS standards and Higuain doesn't play as much as you think he does. He's not 90 minutes for every game in the season.
akm91
AG
jessexy said:

Entourageag07 said:

Just watch Columbus crew and you'll have an idea. They're actually very tactically advanced for MLS standards and Higuain doesn't play as much as you think he does. He's not 90 minutes for every game in the season.
Higuain played in 33 games (30 starts) out of 37 games (including playoffs) and averaged 80 minutes per game (including games he didn't start). He played the same number of games as Trapp (33 games) but 8.5 minutes a game less.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

jeffk said:

He'll play in the Scottish League. If it were the bundesliga, epl, serie A, or la liga id be worried. Not in the Scottish League. He's going to get PT.

Not sure I understand your post. I was agreeing that this is a good move, as it will get him playing time. It's cool to be signed by some of the top teams in the world, but a lot of those young players weren't getting playing time.
OregonAggie
AG
It's because I misunderstood your post. I thought you were suggesting that he leave Europe to get playing time...in my defense I had a ton of whiskey before my reply.
PatAg
AG
I thought I had to be missing something in what you were trying to say
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.