Houston Dynamo 2019 Season Thread

18,832 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dre_00
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
adavurt said:

fig96 said:

adavurt said:

That sort of action isn't getting him sold to Europe completely fed the team tonite this isn't the Honduran league.
One of the best strikers in the world bit a guy and no one cares.
Suraez> Elias
I realize. Just making the point that if you're good enough no one really cares.
oh no
AG
yep. if some club in Turkey really needs a fast winger, they can probably look past that BS red card from last night and focus on that great cross to Hairston in the 3' minute that should have scored.
jeffk
AG
Is this Suraez guy available?
fig96
AG
He's 32, so yes in probably 18 months or so
Aggie09Derek
AG
https://abc13.com/sports/james-harden-buys-in-to-houston-dynamo-ownership-sources/5403748/?ex_cid=SND_KTRK_FBSP&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sndsp
Texaggie7nine
Very interesting. I wonder if he will actually try to influence some change in the spending philosophy of the team, or if he just intends to sit back and try to make a profit along with the rest.

https://www.houstondynamo.com/13?fbclid=IwAR1LIM4YXBP4UXeiKR1J1Y5zr-wjtoAW60FG6rkZLz01jgEumhVD-K2NufM
7nine
oh no
AG
Hopefully the Beard at least tries to promote his new investment to help get butts in seats
gig them
AG
these comments

Texaggie7nine
When I got the alert all I saw was "James Harden joins Houston Dynamo". I figured, well hell, we can't get any worse. why not?
7nine
oh no
AG
lol... can we bring in Usain Bolt too? He was attempting to make a go of soccer up until just a few months ago, IIRC.
Dre_00
I would bet large sums on the latter. He doesn't have the time to invest a lot of effort into the Dynamo. And even if he did, I'd bet he knows very little about the peculiarities of running a MLS team. This will have next to no impact on how the Dynamo is run or decisions made. It's the equivalent of people like Will Farrell owning a few percentage points of LAFC.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Or Magic with the Dodgers

They are given a great deal on a small hit of equity in the team for the publicity/marketing.
Texaggie7nine
It makes it a 4 member ownership now doesn't it? He might can influence how they vote on things.
7nine
oh no
AG
even if only a 5% minority interest, maybe just wearing the gear every once in a while, a few social media posts here and there, an appearance at BBVA a couple of times - might help promote and get butts in seats. ...he's now got a real interest in the Dynamo doing well financially at least. with as many followers as he has, he can at least promote a little bit.
Texaggie7nine
James could afford the whole team if he wanted. Hopefully he bought in at least at like 20%
7nine
oh no
AG
I thought I saw on the scrolling ticker on my tv last night during the Portland - Orlando City match that it is only 5%.

Regardless, does anyone know how MLS ownership works? Someone once told me that owners don't actually own the teams- MLS owns all the teams and the "owners" actually own rights to operate the teams or something..?
fig96
AG
This is pretty great though...

Texaggie7nine
Yeah looks like he bought in at 5% of the team valued at $475 mil. That seems high.
7nine
Bryan98
AG
oh no said:

I thought I saw on the scrolling ticker on my tv last night during the Portland - Orlando City match that it is only 5%.

Regardless, does anyone know how MLS ownership works? Someone once told me that owners don't actually own the teams- MLS owns all the teams and the "owners" actually own rights to operate the teams or something..?
Yes, MLS is a single entity. I don't know much about the set up, but individual owners are associated with their teams, even though it's a single entity.
Dre_00
That includes the Dash as well. And I guess given that expansion fees are $100 million, $475 million sounds about right.
Dre_00
There's a lot of "grey" with single entity. MLS owns the players and pays the salaries. Discovery and allocation rules are born out of the single entity concept. But each team has an owner that is responsible for operating and marketing the team. Owners can make many/most of their own roster and salary decisions as long as it follows the convoluted league rules. I believe that revenues are shared but not evenly amongst all clubs. As convoluted as they are, rules like GAM, TAM, and the DP are mechanisms that were put in place to give clubs more options to inject money into their team in spite of the salary cap. But MLS is still single entity primarily because they claim it ensures financial viability and protects parity.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I'm guessing Harden got favorable terms just like Magic & Dodgers.
MarylandAG
Finally a road win, we needed that! I'm not sure if it was the line up changes, the return of Memo or Toronto's half ass play in the first half lead that lead to the win but who really cares, a win is a win. I'll take it!!!
oh no
AG
They didn't even start Bradley or Altidore. I'll take the 3 road points though.
gig them
AG
Great stuff tonight
oh no
AG
Manotas goal was awesome.
AgRyan04
Is there no TV for the game tonight?
Texaggie7nine
ESPN+
7nine
fig96
AG
Dre_00 said:

But MLS is still single entity primarily because they claim it ensures financial viability and protects parity.
AgRyan04
Thanks - it wasn't listed on the schedule page of the Dynamo website

I also got an email today that tickets were still available? I'm kinda shocked with it being against CA
Dre_00
The Dynamo organization does itself no favors but my god MLS is incompetent.

First of all, the announce the night before the match against the Sounders that they are extending his suspension. Putting aside that extending his suspension is BS, announcing it late the night before is absurd. Cabrera would have already had his tactics and first 11 picked. Now he has to completely rethink them on short notice because he'll be missing his best player.

Then, MLS refs decide to suspend any reasonable use of the basic laws of the game and they allow this goal to stand.

@Zakuani11 my guy you really weren't sure what I was doing? I jumped straight up for a ball and got under cut which caused me to flip. Really in what other league is that not a foul? We can just talk about how many steps he took backwards after I was already up.

https://twitter.com/AJD_20/status/1155324459160678400/video/1
jeffk
AG
Wilmer out apparently.
abacavir
meh no coach will be successful when the ownership runs everything on the cheap.
Dre_00
abacavir said:

meh no coach will be successful when the ownership runs everything on the cheap.
Yep
oh no
AG
welp, bye Wilmer.

Next manager needs better players though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.