Coach G Interview on Season Review and Next Year

4,899 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Giggem
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to give kudos to Coach G for having a post-season wrap interview with Ryan MacDonald after the tough loss to Tennessee yesterday. One of my criticisms in the past about Coach G was the lack of communication or follow-up with the fans at the end of the season, especially after crushing losses in the tournament. It does give us insight into his thoughts and conclusions on the year and where the program goes from here in preparation for next season. I don't necessarily agree with some of his points about the game itself, but I really appreciate him taking the time to do this for us and discussing next year's team as well.

Here are some of the takeaways for me from Ryan's interview:

• While Yanez had a good game for the Vols, I really don't agree she was the major difference in the match. She had one fantastic save off a low near-post shot from Watt, but many of her saves were on shots without much velocity that were basically within 2 yards of her positioning in goal. I thought the biggest difference was our inability to create enough truly dangerous shots on goal despite having the ball in their defensive third for long stretches at a time.
  • He mentioned that defender Maya Neal really did a good job on Watt and limited her chances. After re-watching the game, he's right about this. Neal really shut down Watt's ability to make big plays. This is why having Taylor Ziemer up there with Watt next year is going to really open up Watt's chances on goal because opponents can't key on her anymore.
  • It was interesting that Coach G specifically mentioned that other programs around the country are investing in soccer and implied that we have fallen behind some of our competitors. Certainly it was directed at our administration that we need to continue to improve our facilities to be able to sell the program in recruiting. I have also noticed some other major programs spending upwards of $20 million on soccer fields and facilities. We are starting to fall behind no doubt and this needs to be addressed immediately after the new volleyball facility (rumored) is completed.
  • Kendall Ritchie played with basically a numb left foot because it was badly sprained before the match. She couldn't even feel it, which is quite a feat and might explain why some of her free kicks had dropped off in their quality at the end of the season.
  • It sounds like Ali Russell will play outside mid next season with her speed and ferocity on the ball to get wide and make passes into the box. That is exciting to hear. The class coming in next year is very mature and ready to go.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Is the soccer team not allowed in the training facilities for nutrition and physical training?

I doubt there is a program in the country that has a better facilities with these results

This is RC level
coloradoag69
AG
I also listened to Coach G's interview, and I appreciated his straight-forward answers.

I also want to thank HIdden, Cub, and all the other fact based posters on this board. Over the years you've given reasonable opinions that have upped the general discussions on this board - unlike other boards! I love watching all Aggie sports, but I have little technical knowledge of what's going on. I really appreciate your insights. I have no problem with folks critiquing the coach's decisions and disagreeing. That's a part of a D-1 coach's job.

Here's to a longer run next year.

oldfart79
sorry 25 yrs is long enough with out a title. time to look for a coach that can make the sale and cash the check. doesnt who he can get to play. if the coach hasnt done it in 25yrs hes not going to do it in the next 25.
oldfart79
aTmAg
AG
As long as Coach G gets into the NCAA he is going nowhere.
HiddenAg2
I don't know why some folks continue to bring up Coach G's job status. There is zero chance that he would ever be fired by Woodward with his current results. The reality is that no AD is going to fire a soccer coach for consistent 2nd round and Sweet 16 round exits in the NCAA tournament. Coach G is here to stay barring missing the tourney for 2-3 consecutive years. I accepted this several years ago but I want to see the program improve.

We need to focus on how to advance the program and make it more attractive to elite prospects, whether that is through building better facilities or strategic and technical changes in the program. I think it would be a good idea to bring in another assistant coach or at least a consultant in the off-season to bring a different perspective and some fresh ideas as well. Maybe visit some elite programs like UCLA, Stanford, or Florida St and see what they do that is effective against physical teams. Or maybe we should start focusing on more international players since we are struggling to sign the top kids in Texas now. Overall we do need to try some different ideas because what we are currently doing is not getting us beyond the Sweet 16 level.
oldfart79
its been moving forward for 25 yrs what does he need 50 yrs to get a title
oldfart79
oldfart79
heard the same with shellby in bb
oldfart79
Diego
AG
oldfart79 said:

its been moving forward for 25 yrs what does he need 50 yrs to get a title
Tom Osborne was the head football coach at Nebraska for 21 years before he won his first national championship, and then ended up winning three of them. Many Nebraska fans wanted him gone after 20 years because he "hadn't won it all".
mullokmotx
AG
I think G has talked about upcoming facility improvements. Kendall Ritchie was injured early on in the TCU game and played through the rest of the game. G saying her foot was numb Sunday was a revelation. I was wondering if we went to 4 on the back line in the last 3 games because of the injuries back there. Jordan was on crutches leaving the stadium Friday and the injuries could be part of giving up the 3 goals.
It was also news that Taylor Ziemer was our main recruit 3 years ago but she went to Virginia. I remember watching her in the Elite 8 game at UCLA last year. It will be interesting to hear how it happened that she is coming here after all.
Incidentally, Shantel Hutton was at the game Sunday.
rfvgy12
AG
I think coach G is the guy and will get us multiple championships. My only issue is style of play.

The way you learn to handle physical teams is to be physical even when you can win with a finesse approach. G seems to want to avoid being viewed as dirty at all cost including tournament runs.

You can be physical without being dirty. We need to focus on this in SEC play and in practice.

I always hoped a finesse game would breakout when playing but was fully prepared and willing if the opponent wanted to go hard on tackles.
oklaunion
Hidden: Thanks for the years of evaluation and opinions. I think they are generally spot on. I sit near you when you attend.

I would like to think that T.Z. will help Watt next year but we had the services of the elder Bates for the last few years who also fit that bill and she wasn't encouraged to do so. I will, however, be encouraged by your optimism in the off-season.

I still don't understand why A.B.C. wasn't utilized more this season. Her ability to pass seemed wasted and that ability was needed this season. Not related to her and never seen her play before this year.

I completely support the current staff. Not perfect but very competitive and how many home losses has anyone seen in the past few seasons? Not very damn many. National Championships for any sport are 1 in every season. One would be nice eventually but, for me at least, isn't a deal breaker. I enjoy going to a match and expecting a win, which is exactly what I have gotten the last few years.

Mookie: Please go away.
oklaunion
rfvgy12 said:

I think coach G is the guy and will get us multiple championships. My only issue is style of play.

The way you learn to handle physical teams is to be physical even when you can win with a finesse approach. G seems to want to avoid being viewed as dirty at all cost including tournament runs.

You can be physical without being dirty. We need to focus on this in SEC play and in practice.

I always hoped a finesse game would breakout when playing but was fully prepared and willing if the opponent wanted to go hard on tackles.
Agree with the physical aspect opinion but, like you, appreciate the finesse game. I got tired of the yearly trips to Iowa State on Friday and Missouri on Sunday and coming home with half of our squad on crutches. Plus playing Baylor, especially the year Annie had a hit out on her in the first couple of minutes.
MookieBlaylock
AG
oklaunion said:

Hidden: Thanks for the years of evaluation and opinions. I think they are generally spot on. I sit near you when you attend.

I would like to think that T.Z. will help Watt next year but we had the services of the elder Bates for the last few years who also fit that bill and she wasn't encouraged to do so. I will, however, be encouraged by your optimism in the off-season.

I still don't understand why A.B.C. wasn't utilized more this season. Her ability to pass seemed wasted and that ability was needed this season. Not related to her and never seen her play before this year.

I completely support the current staff. Not perfect but very competitive and how many home losses has anyone seen in the past few seasons? Not very damn many. National Championships for any sport are 1 in every season. One would be nice eventually but, for me at least, isn't a deal breaker. I enjoy going to a match and expecting a win, which is exactly what I have gotten the last few years.

Mookie: Please go away.

You go away
sorry our coach that has failed 25 straight years is playing the facilities card bc he has nothing left to defend his coaching

Unless we can clone female ACLs there ain't much we lack facility wise for ladies soccer

dgrogers88
oklaunion
"there ain't much we lack facility wise for ladies soccer"

However, I do agree with this statement. We have gotten way too wrapped up in upgrading for the sake of upgrading. See women's softball expenditure.

oldfart79
its time to put coach g under pressure. He must win and win now, no more reasons he cant win title. i dont want to hear of injuries or what ever.
oldfart79
redd38
AG
oldfart79 said:

its time to put coach g under pressure. He must win and win now, no more reasons he cant win title. i dont want to hear of injuries or what ever.

Ok, good luck with that.
oldfart79
woodard did it with vollyball and ladys golf what makes you think it wont happen in soccer
oldfart79
BQ_90
AG
oldfart79 said:

woodard did it with vollyball and ladys golf what makes you think it wont happen in soccer
Those sports where not making post season, G hasn't missed a post season since 1994.
oldfart79
well, will see after next yr im sure another well my players were hurt or well if this happen and that happened. woodard will move on him.
oldfart79
redd38
AG
oldfart79 said:

well, will see after next yr im sure another well my players were hurt or well if this happen and that happened. woodard will move on him.

I'll bet you $100 G doesn't get fired next year.
BQ_90
AG
oldfart79 said:

He gave Kennedy a contract extension for making the post season twice in 7 years.

G isn't going anywhere. He just made sweet sixteen which is winning a title to the BK apologist
Like above I'll bet you $100 G is here after next year
AgsSoccerFan
MookieBlaylock
AG
redd38 said:

oldfart79 said:

I'll bet you $100 G doesn't get fired next year.

Considering he got 5 more years I will take that bet as well

sharpdressedman
rfvgy12 said:

Teams with a reputation for being soft get taken advantage of by the opposition in any sport, and the refs usually let it happen.
mullokmotx
AG
The NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 2001. In those 18 years we have advanced to the second round 18 times, Sweet 16 12 times, Elite 8 6 times and the College Cup 1 time. So every third year we make it to the equivalent of the College World Series in baseball or softball. Is that consistent enough? Seems so to me.
Speaking of toughness, I remember the baylor game in 2013 when Ashlynn Harryman became one of my favorite players when she gave a baylor player a bloody nose during the game after Annie Kunz had gotten knocked into the wall in the first 10 seconds.
I am concerned that it seems that baylor may have passed us. They took advantage of playing at home this year which is something that we did not do last year.
It is encouraging that a high profile player like Taylor Ziemer has decided to transfer here from a program of Virginia's caliber.
oldfart79
hay guys keep thinking that way, maybe after another five yrs he mite get title but when recruiting starts to fall and other schools pass us by just remember hes hasnt won anything any trophies for all that hes done. in all this please tell me other than all the trips to the dance what do we have to show for it.
oldfart79
redd38
AG
oldfart79 said:

hay guys keep thinking that way, maybe after another five yrs he mite get title but when recruiting starts to fall and other schools pass us by just remember hes hasnt won anything any trophies for all that hes done. in all this please tell me other than all the trips to the dance what do we have to show for it.

We have lots of trophies
redd38
AG
Also, you gonna take me up on my $100 bet or are you gonna admit you don't know what you're talking about?
oldfart79
lol come kid , got to learn not to get mad sorry if im not in step with you younger guys just chat and have fun. i know you must have learned that in band right.
oldfart79
CDub06
AG
It's weird that no one is taking you seriously with such well crafted arguments.

Even Mookie can construct a coherent thought.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Thanks?
AggieZman
AG
Ali Russell video
Chef Demas 2020
AG
At a minimum he needs new assistants with a new tactical and training philosophy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.