******BTHO Tennessee (Sweet Sixteen)******

8,141 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M has advanced to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in three years. The Aggies face host Tennessee in Knoxville at 4PM Central time. The game will stream live on SEC Network+.

The last time Texas A&M faced Tennessee, it wasn't pretty. The Aggies gave up 4 goals in just over 6 minutes in what became the worst home loss in school history. It was a demoralizing 4-0 loss in the midst of a rough stretch of the season. However, this match comes while the Aggies are excelling and are playing some of their best soccer of the season.

If you're curious how the Aggies have bounced back in the past after suffering a multi-loss goal to an opponent. The last time they got a rematch after losing by 2+ goals was in 2015. The Aggies lost early in the season to Florida State 1-3. The lost 0-5 in the Elite Eight rematch (in the worst loss in school history)...

Ok, ok, let's focus on the last time the Aggies had the opportunity to avenge a multi-goal conference loss. In 2015 they lost to Florida 0-2 and were able to defeat the Gators in the SEC Championship 2-1. That's the bounceback we're looking for.

Now a refresher on Tennessee:
Tennessee is currently 12-5-3 on the season. They advanced to this point with tournament wins over Lousville (2-1) and Arizona (3-2). The Vols outshot Louisville 16-6 and tied Arizona in shots 16-16. Both games were decided in the final 5 minutes with the gamewinner against Louisvlle coming in the 90th.

Bunny Shaw is the all-star for the Vols. Shaw has accounted for 13 goals on the season and has 4 assists. 7 of her goals have proved to be the gamewinners. Danielle Marcano is the other name most Aggies probably remember. Marcano has 7 goals on the season and 4 assists. 2 of her 7 goals came earlier in the season at A&M.

Shaw and Marcano have thrived in the post season. Shaw was the star of the Lousville game as she scored both goals. Marcano had 2 goals against Arizona including the gamewinner in the 90th minute.

Goalkeeper Shae Yanez has allowed 13 goals on the season while making 69 saves. The Vols had 11 shutouts on the season, but haven't shut an opponent out since the Aggie game last month. They've only been shutout twice this season. One of those shutouts came at home where the Vols are 10-2 on the season.

This appearance marks the Aggies' 15th Sweet Sixteen appearance. A&M is 5-8-1 in Sweet Sixteen games. The all-time series versus Tennessee is not pretty. Tennessee is the only SEC team that the Aggies have a losing record against. A&M is 1-5 all-time against the Vols.

Despite the fluky multi-goal loss earlier this season, these two teams should be pretty evenly matched. I don't expect this game to be a shutout, especially since our backline won't be at full strength. But the Aggies should have confidence and be fired up for a big revenge game.
jeffk
AG
I was at the last Tennessee game but won't be there today so we should win.
mullokmotx
AG
I too am worried about injuries on the back line and wonder if Jimena might be moved there to help out. Our only win over them had a hat trick by a senior so maybe we can get that today. Also Ally did not play in the previous game and that will be a huge difference today.
redd38
AG
IF we're gonna win this game I think it'll have to be something like 2-1. Gonna need to find a way to put in multiple goals.
redd38
AG
Texas A&M is undefeated when Watt has scored
Tennessee is undefeated when Shaw has scored
MookieBlaylock
AG
Gotta press esp on Tyrion turnover machine in middle

Gonna be a good one
HiddenAg2
Karlina Sample vs Benny Shaw will be the key matchup of the game and will probably decide it.
Giggem
AG
We had a great crowd on Friday, and hope we do again today. Shoutout to Mullokmtx who is amazingly dedicated to supporting this team on the road. We'll be as loud as we can!

I bet we'll see both Karlina and Brianna in the middle today, so we'll have great strength and skill to battle with Shaw.

This should be a terrific match. We have terrific speed up front, great skill in the attacking midfield, and a back four that GK that are restoring the defensive wall. I like our chances!
akm91
AG
Game is at 5pm ET on SEC Network+
AggieDO97
AG
BTHO UT !
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chapa96
AG
UT already scored.
Hand Of God
MookieBlaylock
AG
What happened I tured it on at 404 and it is 1 nil
Hand Of God
AG
Aggies came close to equalizing.
EvenPar
AG
This camera man is horrendous. This is nearly unwatchable.
redd38
AG
My freaking internet went down like 30 seconds into the match. Missed the goal. Watching on my phone now.
MookieBlaylock
AG
EvenPar said:

This camera man is horrendous. This is nearly unwatchable.

Yeah gonna have to start on the beer to level out the bouncy video
AggieDO97
AG
I can't seem to find the link to watch it on SECN+. There's usually a link on the boxscore page.
Can anyone post a link?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDub06
AG
One camera in the stadium today. I guess they sent everyone else to the lady Vols basketball game. At least get this man a tripod. It's not even windy there.
Chapa96
AG
Several chances so far. Hope they break thru soon!

Hand Of God
AG
A&M has had a lot of the ball and a couple dangerous moments.
jeffk
AG
Y'all spoiled. Need to watch more horrible, motion sickness-inducing HS manager-filmed video.
TRM
AG
https://t.co/mijGRQDRn3
MookieBlaylock
AG
Is he filming and commenting at the same time
AggieDO97
AG
Thank you!
CDub06
AG
4 saves for Vol keeper already.
MookieBlaylock
AG
2 saves that could have been goals other 2 kicked right at her

Atm been the better side but losing
CDub06
AG
I don't know why we refuse to play the ball wide.
Hand Of God
AG
A&M actually playing pretty well. Unfortunate that the early lapse could be the difference.

Bates and McCain have been very active. Watt has been neutralized so far. As has Shaw.
CjAg
AG
Is Asdis hurt? Not sure on this lineup.
HiddenAg2
Shouldn't be down at the half. A&M won the 1st half with possession and chances on goal. Need to take better shots though. Trying for the extra pass instead of turning and shooting when in the box. The first goal was terrible defending and poor GK. Tennessee's weakness is getting trapped in their defensive third. A&M just needs to kick it down in the corner and then trap them for 5-10 minutes at a time. That's what Arizona did with a lot of success against them.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Hand Of God said:

A&M actually playing pretty well. Unfortunate that the early lapse could be the difference.

Bates and McCain have been very active. Watt has been neutralized so far. As has Shaw.

Watt is being doubled she had her chance and didn't finish

Bunny isn't nearly the thread Marciano is

She isn't fast or highly skilled

redd38
AG
I thought we did pretty good that half except for giving up a goal and Watt not getting a shot off. Bates was very close to putting a few in and we seem to be controlling the ball more than Tennessee
CjAg
AG
Terrible
redd38
AG
Welp, that should just about do it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.