2018 NCAA Tournament Selection Show

2,990 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Selection Show today at 3:30 PM at ncaa.com

Not really sure what to expect, but I think it involves a path through Waco. The committee loves storylines and historic rivalries. They try, but don't completely shy away from early conference matchups.
CDub06
AG
Here's Chris Henderson's projections:
http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=16786

And if you're interested in the numbers chris_awk is working with:
http://woso-stats.ml/college/2018/index_arpi
Giggem
AG
CDub06 said:

Selection Show today at 3:30 PM at ncaa.com

Not really sure what to expect, but I think it involves a path through Waco. The committee loves storylines and historic rivalries. They try, but don't completely shy away from early conference matchups.
I agree with you, CDub--I think they're going to send us through Waco.
HiddenAg2
3 or 4 seed depending on what they seed Baylor. We will be matched up with the Bears.
CDub06
AG
One more win for either side and I think it would be more clear cut. But Baylor dropping to a 2 seed and A&M arguably a 4 is going to force them to adjust a little bit if they want this pairing.

Soccer seems to be the most fluid of the tournaments in my opinion (I don't know about volleyball). We've benefitted and been on the losing end of the committees "creativity" in the past.

I think we get the 3 seed.
redd38
AG
I'd be happy to play in Waco. Baylor is very beatable and Waco is close enough to drive to. Just need refs that understand that fouling is part of Baylor's plan
Giggem
AG
redd38 said:

I'd be happy to play in Waco. Baylor is very beatable and Waco is close enough to drive to. Just need refs that understand that fouling is part of Baylor's plan
I love your optimism, Redd! I've just never seen us have a ref who will persist in calling foul after foul after foul, predominantly on one team. Eventually they feel like they're whistling too often, feel like they need to "even things out," and Baylor then takes over by fouling and getting away with it. It's their whole strategy, exploiting simple human nature of referees.
redd38
AG
Refs generally do call a lot of fouls on Baylor. Only 19 teams out of 333 average more fouls per game than Baylor. We'd just need a ref that calls at least an average rate of fouls on Baylor, not some Baylor grad that's overly sympathetic to their dirty play.
Serious Lee
are we incapable of playing really physical, or is baylor just that dirty?
redd38
AG
Baylor is that dirty. They're also top 25 in both yellow and red cards. Again, out of 300+ schools. And they're consistently that way year after year.
CDub06
AG
Bracket should go live here in 10 minutes: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-women/d1/2018
CDub06
AG
I lied. Selection show just now starting. https://www.ncaa.com/video/soccer-women/2018-11-05/di-womens-soccer-2018-selection-show
randy828
AG
Texas A&M vs North Texas and plays the winner of TCU vs BYU
CDub06
AG
A&M #3 seed. Tennessee the surprising #2 seed.
CDub06
AG
3. Texas A&M
North Texas

*TCU
BYU

*Arizona
Denver

Louisville
2. Tennessee
mullokmotx
AG
Committee must have taken into consideration all the games that Bunny Shaw missed. Little surprised Vandy wasn't seeded. I assume that if us and BYU win then we will play on Thursday November 15.
Expert Analysis
AG
last time we played UNT it was worse than most games against Baylor from a physical play standpoint...

I'm pissed if i'm Baylor having Vandy in round 2.
mullokmotx
AG
I think 2 players from UNT did not play against us that day because they had reached the yellow card limit.
Expert Analysis
AG
UNT is worse than baylor this year.. 319 out of 333 in fouls per game with 12.2. They had 23 fouls and 6 yellows in our game in 2015 that we won in double OT.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks to me that the only non-power 5 school to get in was Santa Clara and that we were 7-3-1 against teams in the field.
redd38
AG
UNT only played one team in the top 60 RPI: Santa Clara. Who they lost to 0-1, which isn't actually that bad (although they got 3 yellows that game). They also tied Alabama 1-1 (1 yellow card). So they can put together some decent games.

They can also fall apart. Lost 0-4 to #110 Old Dominion (1 yellow card).

Not an easy game if we overlook them, but certainly should be a win.
Expert Analysis
AG
We play at 7 on Friday.
redd38
AG
I'll have November Madness up later tonight. Should be a wild year if it's anything like the regular season.
Here4goodSoccer
I think the girls have a very good bracket to climb out of if they have the drive and want. I'm excited to watch these games.
Gap
AG
Using the RPI site redd showed us earlier this year:

10 Texas A&M
33 North Texas

19 TCU
42 BYU
Expert Analysis
AG
Not to look ahead, but just realized we played both BYU and TCU this year. Beat both 2-0, TCU was an exhibition. Then after that could be Tennessee...
Gap
AG
Round 1 is at A&M.

If Tennessee wins their first game, we play rounds 2 and 3 in Knoxville. So potentially, we play TCU and then Tennessee in Knoxville next weekend.
mullokmotx
AG
Ticket office on the ball as my credit card was just charged for a ticket for the game Friday.
HiddenAg2
Committee seeding is just getting harder and harder to predict. South Carolina with a 3 seed is baffling to me. We didn't get sent to Waco for some reason. Anyway, we have a tough first game against North Texas because they are very physical and we struggle against those type of teams. Definitely don't like our chances of getting by Tennessee if we get that far.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I like our odds against Tyrion lannister and bunny

Hand Of God
AG
Quote:

mullokmotx
AG
Looks like it will be rather cool for the UNT game. I think the last time it was cool like this for the first round game here we beat HBU 5-0 in 2014. Hoping for a repeat!
Giggem
AG
mullokmotx said:

Looks like it will be rather cool for the UNT game. I think the last time it was cool like this for the first round game here we beat HBU 5-0 in 2014. Hoping for a repeat!
Now that's a detailed memory!
mullokmotx
AG
Well, that was a special team with special players. A few weeks ago Leigh Edwards was at a game and she said several members of the team would be in town this weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.