*****Official USA v Colombia game thread*****

1,578 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by texagbeliever
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Almost like this team needs a new coach.
AgGrad99
AG
jeffk said:

Meh...let's just pay Tony Meola in cannolis and see if he can do better
Rudyjax
AG
It was like a home game for Columbia. WTF?
Rudyjax
AG
I've seen enough out of Bradley. Get him the **** out of there. No one over 28.

Third Son
AG
Colombia just had more/better finishers. First goal was a world class shot by James. Second goal by Colombia was a clinic on counter attack and punishing the center back for his mistake. 3rd goal, again punishing for nobody closing the space on James allowing the volley and another world class finish. On the plus side USA had two nice goals that they can be proud of. Lots to learn from this, especially defensively when playing against top teams.
LeonardSkinner
AgGrad99 said:

jeffk said:

Meh...let's just pay Tony Meola in cannolis and see if he can do better

Bleh. He couldn't even handle a USL squad.
akm91
AG
Unthought Known said:

It was like a home game for Columbia. WTF?
Lots of Colombians and Venezuelans in Florida.
akm91
AG
Third Son said:

Colombia just had more/better finishers. First goal was a world class shot by James. Second goal by Colombia was a clinic on counter attack and punishing the center back for his mistake. 3rd goal, again punishing for nobody closing the space on James allowing the volley and another world class finish. On the plus side USA had two nice goals that they can be proud of. Lots to learn from this, especially defensively when playing against top teams.
The team, especially defensively, looked like one that was cobbled together. Lots of examples of lack of communication throughout the game. Perhaps some (not all) of Robinson's defensive struggles were due to playing with Saief and Bradley for the first time and the lack of familiarity really showed.

Weah looked really promising (what an absolute beautiful assist) but just need more minutes. Sounds like he'll be going out on loan in January which will benefit his game significantly.

Green is just not suited for the role Sarachan put him in but right now, there isn't anyone on the US roster that's a true #10.

Saief didn't look sharp and didn't really put in good defensive effort.

Wood's confidence from scoring last week carried into last night's game and had a really good finish with decent hold-up play.

carl spacklers hat
Can someone please explain how it does this team any good having Bradley start the full 90? I just don't get why he continues to get meaninful minutes when the US should be developing the next generation of midfielders.
wangus12
AG
Because he is fit. All our other central midfielders seem to be hurt half the time. Acosta missed the spring, McKennie is hurt. Pulisic is hurt. Adams is hurt.
carl spacklers hat
Pretty brutal when you can't find anyone besides Bradley to fill the role. Which goes back to an observation I've made before: with nobody else but Bradley getting the PT, the US has failed to develop a suitable replacement. That to me is a glaring lapse on the part of previous coaching staffs.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Poor left side of our defense - replacements needed !
texagbeliever
US has replacements they are just hurt. We aren't going to be 3-4 people deep in one position without real drop off.

Danny Williams would have been a better call in though he doesn't have the "leadership" bradley does. But I think it is clear bradley has been mailing it in for a year or so.
Rudyjax
AG
texagbeliever said:

US has replacements they are just hurt. We aren't going to be 3-4 people deep in one position without real drop off.

Danny Williams would have been a better call in though he doesn't have the "leadership" bradley does. But I think it is clear bradley has been mailing it in for a year or so.

Bradley was called up before Pulisic and McKinnie pulled out.

I'd rather see Keaton Parks in there as I can excuse young crappy play.
akm91
AG
Unthought Known said:

texagbeliever said:

Don't disagree with wanting to see more of Parks but there is a balancing career of players and call up to national teams. It may be that Parks needs the reps in training over the international break to stay in contention for regular playing time at his club.
Rudyjax
AG
Very true, doesn't mean I don't want to see the future.

texagbeliever
akm91 said:

Unthought Known said:

texagbeliever said:

Don't disagree with wanting to see more of Parks but there is a balancing career of players and call up to national teams. It may be that Parks needs the reps in training over the international break to stay in contention for regular playing time at his club.

There is also balancing of team performance. If parks doesn't cut it in the middle than every other player will look bad and gain nothing. You can't just say eff it and throw in all young players.

Also bradley getting called in /= starting. Having experience in a camp for training can have some benefit.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.