Not the same team I saw a month ago

5,427 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by alamoaggie 64
speedy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Few sharp passes. Lots of long balls right to the other team.

Where's the coaching?
Expert Analysis
AG
Same team, just not converting chances. We had plenty of chances tonight. Passing is still horrid, as is our strategy.
redd38
AG
Second half tonight looked pretty typical of us. Santa Clara game was an outlier.
sharpdressedman
Disappointing tie tonight. Seems the team habitually starts very slowly and waits until the second half to get the engine running. Several very good opportunities foiled by an excellent GK. Our GK continues to be outstanding. The PK was a horrendous hiccup. Very happy that so many players appear to be staying healthy.

I keep hoping to field an elite team, but understand it is a big step from excellent to elite, and it is a lengthy and difficult process. Like others, the Santa Clara game really elevated my expectations.

Plenty of games left and tournaments to play where magic can happen. Gig'em ladies.
HiddenAg2
sharpdressedman said:

I keep hoping to field an elite team, but understand it is a big step from excellent to elite, and it is a lengthy and difficult process.
26 years and A&M has had maybe 2 elite teams, in 2007 (upset in 2nd round by Texas) and in 2014 (only College Cup appearance). That's it. That's probably not a realistic goal with Coach G at this point.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Maybe you're new, Hidden, but if you're going to go back 26 years, you best include the '96 and '97 teams.
redd38
MookieBlaylock
AG
The injury to #9 has changed the offense
She is good and not having her healthy is the diff

Not sure what the injury is but it has come at a bad time
MidTnAg
AG
Same team. Currently just struggling.
We will get back on track. You can count on that.
Need sharper passes and better marking.
HiddenAg2
No, I'm not new around here. You probably have missed my comments on the program for about the last 15 years on TexAgs. In my opinion, an elite team is one that is among the best 4-5 teams in the country in a particular season with a #1 seed or high #2 seed and then usually finishing the season at the Elite 8 level or better. A&M has had a few teams that have been in that top 4-5 consistently during the season (2007, 2014) and seeded highly, while several teams have had good W/L records but then tanked in the tournament when they faced elite teams. They've also had a few teams that were okay during the season and then pulled a few upsets to get to the Elite 8. I don't consider either of those type of teams to be elite. Let's take a look at the teams you mention in 1996 and 1997.

• Finished 19-4 (9-1 in conference)
  • A&M lost to the only elite teams they played (0-3 to UNC, twice to Nebraska 0-1, 0-1)
  • A&M lost to San Diego 3-5 in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament at home
  • A&M was a very good team but clearly not elite based on a being a team with a good W/L record but then playing poorly against the best teams in the country when it mattered.

• Finished 18-3 (9-1 in conference)
  • A&M lost to the only elite team it played (1-2 to UNC)
  • A&M lost to SMU 0-1 in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament at home
  • A&M did beat a few ranked teams but for the most part played mediocre teams most of the season. This team may be a bit similar to the 2017 A&M team that had a lot of wins and good talent, only to falter when it mattered most in an upset at home. I don't think this was an elite team but I guess you could make an argument based on the eye test as I wasn't there in person to see them play.

Some could question the 2007 team because some of their results were head scratching despite truly elite talent. The difference for me was the eye test in person as they were just a dominant team for most games, dominating possession and outshooting opponents by a 5:1 margin. We usually kept the ball in the attacking half of the field for long periods of time. The argument against that team was losing to an overrated Texas team twice at the end of the year, including the infamous 2-3 loss in the rain in the 2nd round at home in a year when we hosted the College Cup and probably could have won it all based on USC winning the title in an upset. That team also included the best recruiting class (2004) in school history.

The 2006 team also was near elite as well as it had similar results but actually came within a few minutes of advancing to the College Cup, only to lose a heartbreaker to UNC 2-3 in OT after leading 2-1. Coach G has seemingly been on the cusp of elite status for many years but can't seem to punch through after devastating upsets at home in the tournament. 2014 was really the only year where everything went mostly according to form as a #1 seed, advancing to the College Cup. But unfortunately he followed it up with disappointing season in 2016., erasing the gains of the 2014 season. Last year in 2017 we had the talent and W/L record but collapsed in the tournament vs ND in one of the most disappointing results in school history.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

Maybe you're new, Hidden, but if you're going to go back 26 years, you best include the '96 and '97 teams.

Haha Hidden ain't new. Hidden is a true and great devoted fan but also a bit of a wet blanket. It is what it is.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Sorry... I must've missed your posts. I don't frequent this board.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The 1996 team earned a top 8 seed (equal to a 2-seed now). The loss to San Diego was an upset, only the second ever home loss for A&M. The Aggies missed a PK and also hit the post in an attempt to tie in the final minutes.

The 1997 team was competitive in both of those losses to Nebraska, the second in OT. The Aggies gave the Tar Heels all they could handle in Spring. The team finished the regular season ranked #3 but didn't get a top 8 seed. In my opinion, the SMU loss was a bigger upset/failure than the Texas loss in 2007.
DogCompany74
AG
Careful Hidden...you'll be eviscerated by the Geno fans who see nothing but greatness in 1 Final Four in 26 years. Holding true to form this team will do well in the SEC tourney but won't win it , and then will end up with an 8-9 seed and out in the second round. But...but ...but .... Weve been to 18 straight NCAAs"
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
redd38
AG
DogCompany74 said:

then will end up with an 8-9 seed

Methinks you don't know as much as you think you know.
rausr
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

Maybe you're new, Hidden,

Thanks, I needed that.
HiddenAg2
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

The 1996 team earned a top 8 seed (equal to a 2-seed now). The loss to San Diego was an upset, only the second ever home loss for A&M. The Aggies missed a PK and also hit the post in an attempt to tie in the final minutes.

The 1997 team was competitive in both of those losses to Nebraska, the second in OT. The Aggies gave the Tar Heels all they could handle in Spring. The team finished the regular season ranked #3 but didn't get a top 8 seed. In my opinion, the SMU loss was a bigger upset/failure than the Texas loss in 2007.
I remember the '97 team and followed them, but I didn't see them in person at all, so you may be right about the loss to SMU that year. It was a terribly crushing loss and shouldn't have happened.
HiddenAg2
redd38 said:

DogCompany74 said:

then will end up with an 8-9 seed

Methinks you don't know as much as you think you know.
I think he meant 8-9 overall, meaning low #2 seed or high #3 seed. That's been about our historical average, which isn't bad at all. We just need to win more games in the NCAA tournament and make more College Cups. That would in turn produce more elite recruiting classes (Top 5) and thereby better chances of getting #1 seeds, which is a huge advantage in the current format.
CDub06
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Careful Hidden...you'll be eviscerated by the Geno fans who see nothing but greatness in 1 Final Four in 26 years. Holding true to form this team will do well in the SEC tourney but won't win it , and then will end up with an 8-9 seed and out in the second round. But...but ...but .... Weve been to 18 straight NCAAs"

Oh good. When we were on our winning streak, I was afraid I wasn't going to see these guys post this season. How refreshing.
policywonk98
AG
Cdub-you know they have a point. I think it goes without saying that any of us that have followed the team since their first years as a D1 sport truly want these ladies to succeed every single year and root for them. This year's team is one of the better ones, but the history speaks for itself. Evidence for the following 20 years of ball occurred when Waldrum took Baylor to parity with us virtually overnight using girls less highly recruited than our own. Thankfully he was snatched up by Notre Dame when Petrucelli took the Sip job. But then he had the sips beating us within just a few years where they never could stay on the field with us in our early years. Waldrum, Petrucelli, and Ratcliffe(Stanford) all had college cup appearances and wins within their first four recruiting classes reaching senior years. I've always places Dorrance and UNC as an outlier. Never comparing success of our program against what he's done, that's just not realistic. But these other programs that have won championships have done so with a modest coaching carousel. West Virginia is the only program I can think of whose patience with a coach paid off after Brown played for the championship in her 18th or 19th year. USC started the same year as us. Neither of their first two coaches took them to the promised land in their first 12-13 years. Their last coach and current coach now have one championship a piece.

This year is not over. Like every year since 1993 I'm rooting for our team to get to the cup with a chance to bring it home, but I'm getting pretty impatient now that we are in an era where UNC is beatable and I've watched Stanford, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Florida State, Duke, Notre Dame, West Virginia, and Virgina all play for titles in the last 7-8 years when we've fielded some of our most talented teams in program history.
CDub06
AG
You're right. I think this year is as wide open as it's been for a few years. We have a chance to compete if we can figure out our road woes. Those are 2 starkly different teams for some reason.

However, coming into this season, I don't think anyone expected this team to be a #1 seed. I thought this unproven group would get to the 2nd round. My expectations were blown away during the run we had early in the season. It's a talented group, but I they've outperformed my original expectations.

But that Arkansas result is a huge disappointment either way.
HiddenAg2
policywonk98 said:

This year is not over. Like every year since 1993 I'm rooting for our team to get to the cup with a chance to bring it home, but I'm getting pretty impatient now that we are in an era where UNC is beatable and I've watched Stanford, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Florida State, Duke, Notre Dame, West Virginia, and Virgina all play for titles in the last 7-8 years when we've fielded some of our most talented teams in program history.
I think this sums up where some of the fans are right now. It is frustrating but there is really nothing that can be done about it except hope that Coach G and Phil figure it out one day. They are locked into new contracts for a long time to come and no AD in the country would make a coaching change when you make 24 consecutive NCAA tournaments. As a non-revenue sport, there is no real pressure to win at an elite level. You only need to make the tournament on a consistent basis. Basically I look at Coach G as soccer's R.C. Slocum. Good coach with consistent winning at a Top 15-25 level, but really not able to win the big national match-ups in the tourney to enter the elite level and compete for national titles. And for a large contingent (majority) of fans that is perfectly fine. I do think that there will be one season in the next 10 years that we'll make a magical run to the title game but whether we win that game is 50/50 at best.

To be fair and to CDub06's point, no one really expected big things from this team in 2018 as it was seen as a rebuilding year. They surprised us early with some athletic play and the addition of Asdis really helped ease the loss of Harvey. But from what we've seen now, I do expect that this should be able to get a #2 seed and make a run in the tournament as it's more wide open this year than any year I can ever remember. Stanford is good but they are beatable in the right circumstances.

My biggest complaint is when you have unexpected losses in the 2nd round when you have borderline elite teams, there is no real accountability or follow-up from the coaches to the fans in form of at least acknowledging/apologizing for the loss and vowing to get better in the future. Maybe we aren't entitled to that but it would go a long way to soothe the fan base after crushing losses, especially the diehard fans. Other coaches at A&M do this routinely following difficult losses in the postseason to keep the fans engaged. The perception here is to just quickly move on to next season and forget what happened. It just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm alone in that assessment.
Expert Analysis
AG
level of play and win-lose record are not always correlated

we had and still have a good record, but our level of play has not been as good as our record indicates for the most part. Outside of the santa clara game we haven't played a full 90 minutes of good soccer. several of our games we have barely played 45 minutes of good soccer. Our defense even when getting shutouts looks shakey, our offense is hit or miss. We struggle with basic skills, and our whole style of play is not organized enough for me.

I watched vandy yesterday and was impressed with their style, I'm glad we are not playing them.
mullokmotx
AG
I'm a little surprised we are still so highly ranked. Top Drawer Soccer has us at #4 today and Chris Henderson of All White Kit still projects us as a #1 seed.
redd38
AG
I like the way Coach G runs the program, it's a program that I can be proud to support both on and off the field. An extra win or two at the end of the year doesn't really affect my life at all. Do I want to win every game? Of course. But it would take more than a few losses to make my support waiver.

I'm not sure why a national championship is so important to some of you, I'd really like to know.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

I'm not sure why a national championship is so important to some of you, I'd really like to know.
why isn't it important to you? I mean if at the end of the day winning doesn't matter, why even try, just roll the ball out and not give a ***** Don't have stands, don't have promotions, don't have scholarships. Just grab some girls off the rec fields and just have rec league team.
redd38
AG
BQ_90 said:

Quote:

why isn't it important to you? I mean if at the end of the day winning doesn't matter, why even try, just roll the ball out and not give a ***** Don't have stands, don't have promotions, don't have scholarships. Just grab some girls off the rec fields and just have rec league team.

I didn't say winning doesn't matter did I? I just don't know why winning that particular game is so important. How have all the track national championships affected your life? I'd be happy if we won the national championship, but as long as we're winning enough to be a top 10 team then the results of a game here or there doesn't really change how I feel about the program.
CDub06
AG
Yo redd, are you new here? If we're fielding a team, I personally think we should be competing for championships.

I was thrilled when we won track & golf. Man, I ate that stuff up and I don't follow those teams very closely. And when the women won march madness, I felt such pride and happiness for the team that I'd supported so closely.

Soccer is a different level for me. I long for the day in which we finally win that championship.

This coaching staff has consistently competed at such a high level for a very long time. It's impressive. They know how to compete and I'm convinced we'll be back to the college cup again.

I'm proud of this program and the consistency we see year after year.
redd38
AG
CDub06 said:

Yo redd, are you new here? If we're fielding a team, I personally think we should be competing for championships.

I was thrilled when we won track & golf. Man, I ate that stuff up and I don't follow those teams very closely. And when the women won march madness, I felt such pride and happiness for the team that I'd supported so closely.

Soccer is a different level for me. I long for the day in which we finally win that championship.

This coaching staff has consistently competed at such a high level for a very long time. It's impressive. They know how to compete and I'm convinced we'll be back to the college cup again.

I'm proud of this program and the consistency we see year after year.
How many golf matches (games? events?) have you been too since that national championship? How much has your donations to the golf team increased as a result?

I'm happy for all those teams and I'll be happy if/when soccer wins one, but it won't change the number of games I attend and won't change how much I donate to the program.

The year after we went to the College Cup we only had a 4% increase in attendance, which is a fairly typical year-over-year change for us.

I bet if you ask 10 random people maybe 1 will know who has the most women's soccer national championships, so it's not like winning one will bring the university much prestige.

We're already at peak soccer, we can only go down from here. If we fall off the map like Portland then I'm all for bringing in someone new. But until that happens, if you're not enjoying the current soccer program then you're not going to enjoy it any more with a national championship.
redd38
AG
And I agree, we should be competing for championships, which we are.
CDub06
AG
I think a soccer championship will have the same effect on most people as the track championship had on me. I follow it more closely now, I've been to a handful of events, and I watch the championships on tv.

But as true fans, it means more. I'd be out of my mind if we won the college cup. I don't care what the typical Aggie football fan thinks or how they react. They aren't the ones driving to Tallahassee, watching a match, then immediately driving back. We take these things personally.
redd38
AG
CDub06 said:

I think a soccer championship will have the same effect on most people as the track championship had on me. I follow it more closely now, I've been to a handful of events, and I watch the championships on tv.

But as true fans, it means more. I'd be out of my mind if we won the college cup. I don't care what the typical Aggie football fan thinks or how they react. They aren't the ones driving to Tallahassee, watching a match, then immediately driving back. We take these things personally.

Right, you ALREADY drive multiple states away to watch games. Winning a national championship won't change that. Of course you'd enjoy winning the actual game, but it wouldn't change anything for you.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be excited to win one. I'm just saying it wouldn't change anything for me, and wouldn't change anything for most people.
CDub06
AG
It won't LITERALLY change anything for me. But it will be like a dream realized.

That win to send us to the college cup was one of my all-time favorite sports experience. I mean, how much fun was that. How much more fun would a championship be for us & the players? That's what I'm looking forward to.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Damn you fans from 1993 damn you to groundhog day
HiddenAg2
redd38 said:

I like the way Coach G runs the program, it's a program that I can be proud to support both on and off the field. An extra win or two at the end of the year doesn't really affect my life at all. Do I want to win every game? Of course. But it would take more than a few losses to make my support waiver.

I just can't understand this mentality. If A&M is competing in any sport our goal as fans should be to be elite and play for a national title. Why shouldn't A&M be the best in soccer? What exactly is missing for us to be the next Florida State, Penn State, or UCLA? Noticed I mentioned large state schools and not the private schools like Stanford.

First, winning a national title would move A&M into a different tier of success and we would be better able to land more elite recruiting classes, making multiple College Cup appearances a common practice instead of once every 20 years or so. Second, winning a national title is very important the diehard fans that have loyally followed and supported the program for many years, through tough times and some good ones as well. And of course most of us love the sport and want to be the best in this sport. Only a football title would be higher on my personal list of coveted Aggie national championships.

I know there are always some fans that just enjoy the games with friends and family and aren't that concerned with winning big, and that's fine. But I would still guess that a majority of fans want to win it all and that it's important to them. I don't think many fans' support is waivering, I think we're having an open discussion about why A&M can't seem to break through to that truly elite level. Maybe it will be this year if everything falls right. We'll see.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.