Which London team to see?

2,199 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jock92
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'll be in London for work the first week of December and there are midweek games, meaning I'll have a chance to get to a match. Of course, Arsenal is away so I'm trying to figure out which other London team I should go watch. The options are:

West Ham vs Cardiff
Fulham vs Leicester
Watford vs Man City
Spurs vs Southampton

I think I'm leaning towards Fulham since they have the Cottage which would be better to see a game at than either of the national stadiums (West Ham and Spurs) but not really sure. Watford could also be cool but i assume will be a hard ticket to get since they are playing City (and I'm not sure if they have a chance in the game either). Any thoughts?
wangus12
AG
Of that list, I'd go Watford-City
missinAggieland
AG
Spurs-SH would be my choice.
Mustang1
AG
CrAven Cottage would be my choice although Watford-MC would be nice too.
OregonAggie
AG
Fulham v Leicester City will probably be the best game of the bunch and the setting would be great. My second choice would be West Ham v Cardiff just due to the fact that it will be more competitive than the City or Spurs games IMO.

I'm not sure what dates those games are on but could you hit a couple of them? Man I'd love to see any of those damn games!
gougler08
AG
Spurs are on Wednesday whereas the rest are Tuesday so I may be able to see two...but since it's for work I'm already going to have to sneak out of dinner as it is for one, may be tough to do both
JJxvi
AG
Does that Spurs game even have an announced location yet? Not caring about any of the teams, a trip to Wembley could be worth it just as a stadium tourist.
monarch
S
Craven Cottage...ran a 5K race around the Cottage and Bishops Palace back in 2015; the area is beautiful, right alongside the Thames. For that reason alone, I would go there. If the Lane was still standing, I'd go there though. The Lane was a very intimidating place in person, particularly when your seats are four rows up from the pitch even with the 18 yard box.
Aston94
AG
Midweek games are usually easier to get tickets to.

Having been to a few of the locations, as a neutral I would rank Craven Cottage the best game experience. If the Spurs are at their new home stadium by then that might be fun to see. Wembley is large, but after being to Kyle, Cowboys Stadium, Georgia Dome, and Superdome it really is a lot like all of them, not real personality of its own.

Just my .02 cents. Have fun!
Bmac04
AG
Craven Cottage for sure. Great place to watch a game
eiggA2002
AG
Easy. Fulham and Craven Cottage v the Lesters.
gougler08
AG
Seems like a consensus, let the hunt for Fulham tickets begin
Serotonin
AG
Craven cottage.

The atmosphere and history are what make English football great, and CC has to be near the top of the list for a great historic environment.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
JJxvi said:

a trip to Wembley could be worth it just as a stadium tourist.
I'd go for craven cottage or vicarage road before Wembley. It's pretty meh and only really gets fun for really big games. If Spurs are in their new digs, then I'd go there.

That said, keep in mind that Fulham is pretty close to town. It's to the west straight south of Hammersmith.

Watford is sort of a far suburb at the end of a train line. So getting there after work might be something of a challenge.
JJxvi
AG
I dont think we know where OP is staying (and if its a work trip that could also really change the calculus), but if its in the truly central London areas, agree that Fulham is likely the quickest easiest trip.
JJxvi
AG
I'd only recommend Watford if combined with a day at the Harry Potter Studio tour.
gougler08
AG
I'm right by Waterloo station so about as central London as it gets
JJxvi
AG
From the Waterloo side of the river, that actually probably makes London Stadium super easy, and the fastest trip, just hop on the Jubilee line.

Craven Cottage is either Piccadilly line plus either a walk or a bus trip, or getting across the river and switching to the District Line which requires you to be on a train with a Wimbledon destination (which you might have to wait a few trains for)
JJxvi
AG
Vicarage Road I guess is at least an hour and is a train trip instead of the tube. You'd need to get from Waterloo to Euston which is the origin for a train trip to Watford Junction. If you've never used the trains, I will say that its just as easy, but maybe a lot less beginner friendly than the tube.
gougler08
AG
JJxvi said:

Vicarage Road I guess is at least an hour and is a train trip instead of the tube. You'd need to get from Waterloo to Euston which is the origin for a train trip to Watford Junction. If you've never used the trains, I will say that its just as easy, but maybe a lot less beginner friendly than the tube.

Yeah I've used both as we have had meetings outside of London and taken the trains so I think transportation wise either would be fine

Appreciate the help on how to get to the stadiums, saves me one thing to figure out!
JJxvi
AG
According to google maps, the fastest way to get to Craven Cottage from Waterloo is by train not tube which is kinda surprising to me.

You take a South Western train to Putney, which is across the river from the stadium. It looks its over a mile bus ride or walk from there vs about a half mile walk from where the District line would drop you off (Putney Bridge).
gougler08
AG
Yeah I just looked it up on Fulham's site and they say Putney Bridge is the closest stop of train/tube. It would only be one change for me from Waterloo so that will probably be option A
H_Aggie
QPR
gougler08
AG
Don't play when I'm in town, but would be cool to see
OneBlitzer
AG
If you have time how about an Emirates Stadium tour? We did it this past summer while in London and it was great. The museum tour is OK but getting a closer look at the stadium was well worth the time.
gougler08
AG
OneBlitzer said:

If you have time how about an Emirates Stadium tour? We did it this past summer while in London and it was great. The museum tour is OK but getting a closer look at the stadium was well worth the time.
I actually did one a couple years ago, I had a lot of fun
gougler08
AG
Started looking around at Fulham tickets and they seem pretty easy to get...should be around 50 pounds to sit in the Hammersmith end which is apparently the rowdier side and they seem to be available about a month before the match

Thanks for the advice guys!
LondonOllie
gougler08 said:

Yeah I just looked it up on Fulham's site and they say Putney Bridge is the closest stop of train/tube. It would only be one change for me from Waterloo so that will probably be option A
When you come out of Putney Station (I lived for 3 years about a 5 minute walk away), you turn right and walk down Putney High Street. At the bottom of the HS, there is a junction right before Putney Bridge. Lots of history here ( History of Putney ).

Cross over the bridge and CC is further along on the left hand side. I can't remember the road you actually turn down, sorry.

Also, although not a football pub, one of my favorites in Putney is located about 8 minutes from Putney Station.
( The Cats Back )

Have fun!!!

gougler08
AG
LondonOllie said:

gougler08 said:

When you come out of Putney Station (I lived for 3 years about a 5 minute walk away), you turn right and walk down Putney High Street. At the bottom of the HS, there is a junction right before Putney Bridge. Lots of history here ( History of Putney ).

Cross over the bridge and CC is further along on the left hand side. I can't remember the road you actually turn down, sorry.

Also, although not a football pub, one of my favorites in Putney is located about 8 minutes from Putney Station.
( The Cats Back )

Have fun!!!

Thank you sir!
Jock92
AG
Ollie, Used to work just south of there on Putney Bridge Road. Fun little pub!

Lived on Disraeli Road and backed up to the train station as well. Small world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.