Little kid soccer

1,097 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by carl spacklers hat
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This morning driving to work I noticed a sign in the local elementary school's Boulevard advertising sign-ups for fall soccer. I think it said the league ran 3-10 y/o I think. The idea of watching 3 y/o playing soccer sounds both hilarious and maddening.

That being said, how old were your kids when they started playing? I have 2 almost 2 y/o who love to kick the soccer ball around the room with mom and dad (and hilariously will throw up their arms when they kick it into the corner of the couch for a "goal"). I have no intention of being crazy youth sports parent as I really, really, really don't want youth activities to overwhelm family time. Maybe that's because I'm lazy or selfish or because I was a below average athlete as a kid. Who knows?

That being further said, if they might enjoy it in a year or three then I'll support them. Especially because my kids have British passports so they're cleared to become the next great American youths playing in the EU.
jeffk
AG
Interested to hear the replies to this too. My son is five and we play a ton at home, but with him starting kindergarten and all the rest of our family's craziness, I think we're going to shoot for age 6 as his first year on an organized sports team.
gig them
AG
My son is three, and I feel like we're still a couple of years away. He likes soccer, but I'm still going to give it a little bit of time.

Personally, I started at five and the league didn't keep score until we were seven. No complaints there.
belowpar
AG
My daughter just played her first season at the age of 3 and yes it was fun and hilarious. Sometimes they won't play sometimes they do great but it was very entertaining. She's the youngest of 4 kids and had been begging to play.

My son is 5, going in to Kindergarten and has been playing since he was 4. He's pretty good and his team is very good but I've seen some amazing things from some young kids.

Take a look at this video....This is my son's league, this kid in his league is amazing and he's a 6 year old.

02skiag
AG
OregonAggie
AG
My oldest daughter started playing in an indoor league at age 4. We had 1 practice a week that was pretty much footwork for 20 minutes, then a game/drill that worked on dribbling, then scrimmage. I was the assistant coach that coached the team since the head coach had no idea what he was doing...which happened 3x in the last 10 years.

All the kids had fun and I made sure the feedback was always positive: I just simply wanted the kids to want to play soccer again. My daughter played academy/club soccer from age 9-14 and now just wants to play high school soccer.

I don't think 3 or 4 is too young but that also depends on the kid, which you won't know till you sign them up. 5 of the 8 kids on that initial team wanted to practice and play...the other 3 were just there because mommy signed them up.

It's all fun at that age and your kids might make some more friends, which is never a bad thing. Most of the parents realize at 3 years old that it can't be taken too seriously......MOST of them. Just don't talk to the ****** parents that act crazy.
OregonAggie
AG
02skiag said:

I don't know if any local group that goes 3-10, you probably read it wrong. There is a small informal group I believe for around 3-5 yr olds (Hot Shots?).

I would assume they organization had leagues for age groups 3-10 and not a 3-10 league.
wangus12
AG
Any local club coach is going to tell you that you are too late and they are already way behind in their development. Luckily for the low cost of $100/hr, he'll have them back up to speed within 25 private lessons
Basketball and Chain
AG
My oldest played last year as a 4 year old (3v3, 8 minute running quarters, teams of 6 kids). At age 3, our league has a parent/child 6 week season where you go out to the field and participate in drills with your child once a week. They do mostly coordination drills, with some minor introduction to basic ball skills each week.
agdoc2001
AG
Daycare has a Soccer Shots program where they play and learn teamwork for 30 minutes a week. Started both boys at 2. Put the oldest on a team in rec league at 4.

Family time is important, but sports build character and may help a wallflower come out of his shell. Im not an expert, but I feel like team sports can be an integral part of a childhood without defining it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Smokedraw01
We started the Y at 5 or six. Before that, I could see her playing in a league before. We'd go out in the yard, kick the ball around, she'd try to take it from me, I'd knock her down to see if she got up, and then we'd laugh and tickle fight. It was much fun as a league for her with none of the cost or time commitment. She still playing ball but bumped up to club last year.
ChipFTAC01
AG
OregonAggie said:

02skiag said:

I don't know if any local group that goes 3-10, you probably read it wrong. There is a small informal group I believe for around 3-5 yr olds (Hot Shots?).

I would assume they organization had leagues for age groups 3-10 and not a 3-10 league.
Yeah, I definitely assume that's what it is.

Actually I looked at the sign again on the way home from work and it's advertising ages 2-7. Yikes. My kids can't really talk, but they expect them to be able to understand offsides?
DuncanField91
AG
I think soccer is a particularly good sport for early coordination. Working on running while dealing with a ball builds balance, coordination, and quick feet - all of which are valuable in any sport (not that I think you are questioning it...). I coached my kids from age 4 in a church league much like other posters above. Low stress, positive, fun environment focusing on having fun and making the ball go where you want. My two daughters are still playing (one in high school, the other for a club team) while my son has moved on to football (Americano).
agracer
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

OregonAggie said:

02skiag said:

Yeah, I definitely assume that's what it is.

Actually I looked at the sign again on the way home from work and it's advertising ages 2-7. Yikes. My kids can't really talk, but they expect them to be able to understand offsides?

offsides usually isn't enforced at the younger ages or it's modified too what amounts to a no camping in front of the goal rule. Also, usually no goal keeper until u9
tysker
AG
Is it SuperSoccerStars? My eldest did one of those when she was about 2 or 3. If I recall, to call it soccer it like calling Gymbroee classes gymnastics. Its more just like organized play with a soccer ball and parents cheering when the kids actually get the ball into the popup goals.
Bearded Fruit
Both my kids started playing at age 4 as that was the first year they could play in the rec league here. Now many years later their good friends all seem to be from sports - not school. So like another poster said it is great for them socially. Plus all the studies show that participation in organized sports leads kids to be more successful in school, life, etc.
swc93
AG
Rec at 4. Rec and Academy at 5. Fall/Spring outdoors; Summer/Winter indoors, good times.

Very few of the super stars he played against at 5-8 are still playing.
oh no
AG
my oldest started at 5, my middle child started at 4, and my youngest started at 3.. kids love running around, playing with other kids, kicking a ball around... they all enjoyed sports at that age. It doesn't overwhelm your family time if you take them to a short practice once a week and short game on Saturdays - kids love it.

Now, my oldest is 10 and he's in the DA. Pretty serious little soccer player. My daughter in the middle is 9 and a competitive gymnast and she loves it.. My youngest is 6, first grade turning 7 this fall, he has really enjoyed playing soccer, flag football, basketball, tee ball, cub scouts, etc. . he just enjoys playing and he enjoys people.. he's not as competitive as his older siblings, but he's only six. We're letting him enjoy different things and try different things. Not one single care or regret that we brought him out to kick a soccer ball when he was only 3.
carl spacklers hat
All three started at 4, but only the youngest has stayed with it, now playing DA at U-17 age group. Oldest plays tennis in college and the middle kid plays HS tennis.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.