Need help choosing my EPL team

2,881 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rooftop18403
gig them
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Be selfish and choose someone from the Top Six

Most of the time, we're bound by honor (or location) to a team and we have to hope they don't suck. This is one of those times where you can pretty reliably avoid that fate.
LondonOllie
I don't post so much anymore, but I'm a Tottenham fan.

Funnily enough, growing up in North London, my first ever match I attended was an Arsenal FA Cup match (against Ipswich Town if I remember correctly). Despite being only about six years old, I quickly realized that Arsenal fans are generally a bunch of bell-ends so I soon started to support Spurs and have been suffering ever since. However, this has improved over the last five or so years.

I also learned that Spurs are the original team from North London with the goons being the impostors who moved north of the river from South London many years ago.

All joking aside, I do agree with what some others have said, should you down the road decide to go and watch a match, trying to get to some crappy backwater like Stoke will prove challenging.

So that being said, it might be wise to pick a team in or around London. Of course, Manchester or Liverpool are also doable, but not generally as simple as getting to London. Liverpool is harder than Manchester because you would have to fly to London or Manchester and then get to Liverpool from there (not that far from Manchester mind you).

Spurs are often a lot of fun to watch. We've got a good history but haven't won much recently. We are just finishing building a nice, state of the art stadium too. Despite not having revenue coming in that Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, or Arsenal do, in the last few years we have quite well and I would say that only Man City really had our number. Then again, with the money they have....very few teams can compete.

If you want to pick a London team that is not in this top tier, you could go for Palace (good atmosphere) or Fulham (nice family club). You'll likely find it easier to get tickets to those matches than the clubs I mentioned. I wouldn't pick West Ham, purely because their stadium probably has even less soul than the Arsenal one. Watford are quite far out in NW London.

COYS!

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Speaking of West Ham - I got to see a match at upton Park the last year it was open. That was a hell of a fun time. Took the tube, had the green street (non hooligan) experience, pints at the Boleyn pub, the full bore.

I really feel for their fans. Leaving a ground that was dated and crappy but packed with soul for the Olympic stadium that has as much soul as a religion whose sacred texts are manuscripts compiled from electric bills.

Hopefully Everton doesn't screw up a new build stadium the same way.

When spurs open the new digs, can you post some pictures here? Looks like a great place.
LondonOllie
That is unfortunately very true about Boleyn ground for West Ham once they demolished it, and their new ground is not fit for purpose. Arsenal's stadium is also very sterile compared to the old Highbury ground.

We will see if Spurs loses some of it's soul once we move into the new stadium. It's unfortunate but to be honest....there was a huge change in atmosphere once they stopped fans standing and they went to all seater stadiums. Tottenham are building in to the new place the ability to have fans standing if the government decides that people can stand again.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
At least spurs had the wherewithal to stay in the same place and the ability to (hopefully) learn from previous clubs' mistakes. Hope you're pleasantly surprised when the time comes.

I sort of worry about Goodison and I sort of don't. On one hand, the place has loads of character. On the other hand, it is an absolute festering **** hole and a massive fire hazard crammed into an awkward city block.

If they can make the new Bramley Moore Dock site work and come up with a stadium that is purpose built and pays some sort of homage to Goodison, it should be pretty cool. I assume that the surrounding development might come across as a bit cheesy/Disneyfied, but that's the trade-off. As it is, there really just isn't much in the neighborhood around Goodison and being on the waterfront might be just the ticket.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Epl blows

College football starts in 20 days

Saving you 30 weekends of terrible soccer

wangus12
AG
LondonOllie said:

That is unfortunately very true about Boleyn ground for West Ham once they demolished it, and their new ground is not fit for purpose. Arsenal's stadium is also very sterile compared to the old Highbury ground.

We will see if Spurs loses some of it's soul once we move into the new stadium. It's unfortunate but to be honest....there was a huge change in atmosphere once they stopped fans standing and they went to all seater stadiums. Tottenham are building in to the new place the ability to have fans standing if the government decides that people can stand again.

I remember going to Highbury in the 90's/early 00's and it was fun. When I went back after the move to the Emirates, it was like someone murdered your friend (aka your checkbook). Its like a damn library and I can't stand the atmosphere.

Craven Cottage is still one of my favorite grounds to go to. Glad Fulham are back up in the prem. Stoke City typically have a great atmosphere as well.
Here4Beer
AG
jeffk said:

Does the OP have a team picked yet? The fan transfer window closes here in a couple days.

Arsenal
gougler08
AG
Here4Beer said:

jeffk said:

Does the OP have a team picked yet? The fan transfer window closes here in a couple days.

Arsenal

Welcome, come join the thread for the misery!
jeffk
AG
Vaya con Dios.
DuncanField91
AG
Chelsea. New coach this year - Maurizio Sarri - coming over from Napoli. Sarri was a banker until age 40 when he decided he wanted to coach soccer. He started at the bottom, worked his way through the Italian ladder to become the manager at Napoli where he took his team to a 2nd place finish last year in Serie A behind Juventus.

Joining him is his key man, midfielder Jorginho. Jorginho runs the team from the holding mid spot. Also new this season is midfielder Mateo Kovacic from Real Madrid. A midfield of Jorginho, Kovacic, and N'golo Kante should be spectacular to watch, especially running "Sarri-ball".

Oh, and watching Eden Hazard is worth the price of admission alone.

The reason to follow Chelsea this year is to see how this style of play that was so successful in Serie A translates to the EPL. The style is a derivative of what Pep Guardiola plays at Man City (and they did okay last year).

https://www.theringer.com/2017/10/17/16487210/soccer-napoli-maurizio-sarri-dries-mertens-jorginho-exciting-serie-a

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/manager-analysis/tactical-profile-maurizio-sarri/
Chef Demas 2020
AG
COYS!

I remember having this dilemma 7 or so years ago...I grew up playing soccer and always watched Man U. In college I wanted to get back into it but didn't want to pick a team at the top. I really just watched a few games, liked that Tottenham went by the Spurs and they had cool jerseys. Over the last 5 years they have done quite well and are full of young, exciting talent.

Basically, pick a team you enjoy watching and just keep up. It is a lot of fun.
JJxvi
AG
I agree with those that said to pick a club from London (and it seems you did).
TXAggie2011
AG
Here4Beer said:

jeffk said:

Arsenal

You should register this allegiance here: https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/2950728/last#last.
TXAggie2011
AG
Too late. He's ours.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Here4Beer said:

jeffk said:

Arsenal

rooftop18403

- I want to root for a team that is similar to A&M

I've been an Aggie my whole life. When I went through this same process a few years ago i went total opposite. I know what heartbreak is like. That's why I went straight to La Liga and all in in on Real Madrid. Pick a winner and don't look back.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.