Mexico Fined - So exactly what is the chant? What are they saying that got a fine?

2,722 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JJxvi
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes political statements =/ insults so the comparison is off for sure. Maybe a good example would be the use of cock****er which was common when we were kids (I recall Whoopi Goldberg once saying it was her favorite insult) but has changed to be homophobic slur by in recent years.

I think much of teh argument agsint FIFAs sanction/fine is that its disallowing the Mexican fanbase and culture to 'be itself.' Instead its using some arbitrary ethical standard to enforce language other countries might fine offensive. It does have a hint of cultural colonialism.

edited to add: discussion such as this is why the Soccer Board is awesome and the gem of TexAgs. smart people that respect each other. Even when our allegiances and ideologies dont align we can have real reasonable dialogue about the good and bad of a sport we all love.
aTm papi
Change puto to burro and be done with it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
At least its Mexico's problem, not our problem.
Mathguy64
AG
Apparently "puto" isn't as bad a word as we thought. Neymar just called a Tico "puto" to his face with the ref between them.
randy828
AG
mathguy86 said:

Apparently "puto" isn't as bad a word as we thought. Neymar just called a Tico "puto" to his face with the ref between them.
My wife caught that too. Puta = beotch
Dre_00
aTm papi said:

Change puto to burro and be done with it.

I was kinda hoping for a Selena "bidi bidi bom bom". Everyone wins.
JJxvi
AG
mathguy86 said:

Yeah, but thats kinda like how its ok when black guys use the N word I guess.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.