Mexico Fined - So exactly what is the chant? What are they saying that got a fine?

2,670 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JJxvi
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
None of the articles will say what they said, only that it was considered anti-gay. The mexicans are saying that it is not anti-gay and is just fun teasing.

So what did they say?

Is it bad?
titanmaster_race
It's the dumb "puto" yell they do every time an opposing keeper punts the ball
jeffk
AG
I guess they think that if they tell everyone enough times that yelling PUUUUUUTTTTTOOOOO! at someone isn't offensive then people will just eventually believe them and let it go.

JLawOK . GIF

Here's a Guardian article from this week about it - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/18/puto-chants-mexico-football-world-cup
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's so dumb. The context of the word makes a huge difference. That word has many meanings depending on the context, like most of Mexican slang.

Funny how there's people dying and slave labor being used in Qatar, but FIFA does nothing. All about their bottom line.
JJxvi
AG
Out of curiosity, what acceptable and civilized meaning of the word do mexicans actually mean when they drown out the entire stadium with it by chanting it at a player on the opposing team?
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's so dumb. The context of the word makes a huge difference. That word has many meanings depending on the context, like most of Mexican slang.

Funny how there's people dying and slave labor being used in Qatar, but FIFA does nothing. All about their bottom line.
I've never had a single Mexican friend think it was anything other than what FIFA is fining them for.
elchucoag93
AG

This.
jeffk
AG
JJxvi said:

Out of curiosity, what acceptable and civilized meaning of the word do mexicans actually mean when they drown out the entire stadium with it by chanting it at a player on the opposing team?

Not a rhetorical question. Feel free to chime in and educate us on what context the word is being used that makes it inoffensive.
Mathguy64
AG
I would encourage anyone to walk into a bar in Juarez and walk up to 10 random dudes and say that magic word. If you are still conscious and able to walk out of the bar at the end of the experiment I will gladly buy you a drink.
tysker
AG
Its as silly a controversy as the issues some people have the BTHO yell. Yes it lacks class and civility but at the same time its mostly harmless, in good fun and generally stays inside the stadium. The people that stir up a bunch of **** to end these things basically make the diehards even more vocal.
byfLuger41
AG
Page Juan
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Try doing the same in the USA and the word b*tch. Not sure what your point is.

It's not a "nice" word, my point is it's not an anti-gay slur. It's just all in good fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto
titanmaster_race
If FIFA takes away this lovely tradition, El Tri fans will only be left with throwing glass bottles and bags of urine.
gambochaman
AG
totally agree all in good fun...its like here in the US we all collectively yelled the F then A then G word when other teams kicked...its a horrible slur guys but we're just doing it in good fun!
gambochaman
AG
/sarcasm
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto

Oh? So because some people in Mexico think it's okay then everyone else who's offended (by the literal definition of the word) should just get over it?

Also, if a player on the field or a coach on the sideline yelled it on a goal kick, they'd be rightly carded.
jeffk
AG
I mean, I honestly don't care if Mexican fans keep on keeping on. Yell til your hearts burst. Fight the man. Wear your FIFA fines like badges of honor.

But you don't get to argue that because you personally don't find it offensive then everyone else should be okay with it too. That's not how the world works.
JJxvi
AG
As far as I can tell from seeing this argument many, many times...Mexicans thinks its ok because they arent screaming the equivalent of the word "f****t!" at anybody, but its actually "only" something more like the way somebody would use "p***y" to call a dude a little b***h, or a whiner or whatever. The problem where this breaks down is that there would be real universal outrage if somebody did that as well. Imagine, if like Fenway park started screaming "P***y!" in unison every time a Yankees pitcher delivered a pitch and it was audible over all broadcasts. There would be a ****storm about that even absent of overt homophobia (which even then, calling a dude a p***y, DOES still have some of that in there, btw)
Mike Elko
AG
Stay classy, Mexico.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Oh? So because some people in Mexico think it's okay then everyone else who's offended (by the literal definition of the word) should just get over it?
People need to stop being putos, yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JJxvi
AG
Molotov, bastion of decency and harmony in Mexican culture.

BTW, pretty sure they refuse to play that song on international tours...probably because they are smarter than Mexican soccer fans.
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

I mean, I honestly don't care if Mexican fans keep on keeping on. Yell til your hearts burst. Fight the man. Wear your FIFA fines like badges of honor.

But you don't get to argue that because you personally don't find it offensive then everyone else should be okay with it too. That's not how the world works.
Wait until players start kneeling during opposing teams national anthems
tysker
AG
C*** can be a term of feminist pride. Just yell that...
airboatag
Are you sure it is the P word they chant on goal kicks and not the C word they chant at injured players? I ask because the latter is the equivalent of maggot with an F
Mathguy64
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's not a "nice" word, my point is it's not an anti-gay slur. It's just all in good fun.
Everyone else's point is that word is generally interpreted a homophobic slur. You seem to want to deny that. I'm not sure why.
tysker
AG

I thought they were cheering for Pluto
jeffk
AG
tysker said:

jeffk said:

Ok? US Soccer mandates players stand during anthems and I'd imagine other nations' federations do something similar. What point are you trying to make?
tysker
AG
mathguy86 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Everyone else's point is that word is generally interpreted a homophobic slur. You seem to want to deny that. I'm not sure why.
If the fans collectively were able to change the chant to **** Trump! you know they'd gain some band-wagoners from across the world
Mathguy64
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

tysker said:

jeffk said:

Ok? US Soccer mandates players stand during anthems and I'd imagine other nations' federations do something similar. What point are you trying to make?
Mostly just making conversation. That being said, I guess you're OK with sanctions against players and fans kneeling or turning their back to the flag during national anthems. Some people are offended or insulted by it, so the players and fans must cease and desist or by punished by a corrupt and ethically inconsistent governing authority...
jeffk
AG
I'm not personally offended by the kneeling, but I understand why some would be. If the players know they'll be fined and they protest anyway, then I guess that's the price for their activism and they have to decide if it's worth it or not. Since we're just talking about it, I do think the situation involving national teams and players playing for their national federations is a bit different than NFL players or MLS players protesting while with their clubs.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not certain that its a fair comparison between people making a political statement (whether or not you agree with it) and fans chanting "puto". If people at a football game chose to yell "fa**ot" at opposing players on the field, the NFL would slap that team down fast. And the media would go crazy over the fans behavior. And everyone would agree with the NFL and media coverage.
tysker
AG
Agreed. National team play is different than professional team play and codes of conduct should reflect that. Also players should be held to different standard than fans. But even the most rowdy of fanbases should keep a reasonable level of decorum and that level should, and will, change as cultures change.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.