***** Official 2018 World Cup Group C Thread *****

7,335 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by deadbq03
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
World Cup Group C contains one of the big favorites in France, a darkhorse in Denmark, Peru and the greatest from underneath the world in Australia.

I see France and Denmark moving forward. I don't Peru or the Aussies can make anything happen.

Group C Standings:
-----------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
France----------------2----2---0---0___+2----6
Denmark-------------2----1---1---0___+1----4
Australia-------------2----0---1---1___+0----1
Peru-------------------2----0---0---2___-2----0
JJxvi
AG
In
OregonAggie
AG
I'm thinking France and Denmark but there's been plenty of pundits on SiriusXM FC that have said to not sleep on Peru. I don't recall the last time o saw them play so I really don't know. Should be fun to watch!
Juan Solo
AG
Allez les bleus!!
MB19
AG
Peru were obviously solid enough to force their way into the playoff and win. They may not be as good as their 1978 team was, but they are solid.
wangus12
AG
France vs Australia is on now
deadbq03
AG
Aussies working hard.
MB19
AG
And VAR just ruled that foul was a penalty. And Griezmann converts from the spot to give France the lead.
duck79
AG
Damn. Replay for a PK.
MB19
AG
And now France concede a stupid handball penalty. 1-1
duck79
AG
Crucial mistake. You can't throw your hands around like that.
deadbq03
AG
Man. France is a cluster of superstars, but not a team.
duck79
AG
Unlucky for Australia there.
Mike Elko
AG
For all their talent, France has looked meh the entire match. Hoping that continues the rest of their tourney.
MB19
AG
deadbq03 said:

Man. France is a cluster of superstars, but not a team.
Definitely the case today
TheMasterplan
Diving was terrible this match with France. FFS.

I can understand the penalty given...my Dad said it ruins the game but substitute USA for France and you'd be praising it.
JJxvi
AG
I think France will figure it out.
JJxvi
AG
I didnt see much diving, Australia was a fouling machine, and it was smart really
deadbq03
AG
JJ - I agree with you on both counts... But it's practically criminal to see so much talent get wasted right now. I hope they figure it out; they'd be a ton of fun to watch if they do.
JJxvi
AG
Im just gonna whine about my twitter feed here...

It annoys the **** out of me to see all these idiots say "it probably was a penalty, but it wasnt a clear error!" Its counterproductive every time there is a replay system or new technology, everybody wants to get all wrapped up in bull**** minutae. All that road leads to is officials not doing anything. Just get the call right, and if its right be happy.

I think some people actually WANT sports to be more murky, political, and subjective all the time.
JJxvi
AG
Another annoyance is the other group of "he got the ball therefore no penalty" nonsense. The aussie defender did not win that tackle, he may (im still not 100% certain) have barely grazed it, but Griezmann won the ball and dribbled forward toward the goal before being taken down.
wangus12
AG
I think France is way more effective with Giroud up top rather than Mbappe. They were lethal in qualifying with his hold up play
duck79
AG
deadbq03
AG
JJxvi said:

Another annoyance is the other group of "he got the ball therefore no penalty" nonsense. The aussie defender did not win that tackle, he may (im still not 100% certain) have barely grazed it, but Griezmann won the ball and dribbled forward toward the goal before being taken down.
I don't think he ever touched it, but you're spot on that it doesn't matter.

As for your other post, I do like VAR, but one of the things I like most about soccer is that it's far more of an art than a science.
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64
AG
If there was going to be an issue with a game that got away from a ref this was going to be the first real test. Gassama (CR) really struggles with man management at this level.
deadbq03
AG
Poulsen is awesome. Glad that tweet is wrong on the lineup.

Edit: I'm an idiot. He's using his father's name this game and is clearly in the tweet. I was surprised to think he wouldn't start.
TXCityAggie
AG
Pulling for Peru!
ryanhnc10
AG
This announcer is effing annoying
deadbq03
AG
I don't know what you're talking about. These 50-50 balls need to be called out for what they are.
fig96
AG
I dunno, he's kinda entertaining.
ja86
AG
Peru looks good so far.
fig96
AG
Beautiful tackle. And risky as hell.
Spore Ag
Really pissed as I am unable to get much coverage where I am so reading updates helps.
Mathguy64
AG
Peru just got away with one. Defender pulled the DEN player down in the area on the throw in. Right out in the open.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.