*** FIFA 2026 Vote ***

3,308 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by akm91
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Read potentially Jerryworld for semifinals. That'd be sweet.
JJxvi
AG
gougler08 said:

JJxvi said:

FIFA can apparently decide on a different mix. But the Canadian and Mexican stadiums preferred by the bid group are set already.

Azteca (Mexico City), Estadio BBVA (Monterrey), Estadio Akron (Guadalajara), BMO Field ( Toronto), Olympic Stadium (Montreal), and Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton)

10 cities expected to host games in the United States, and I think there are like 20+ stadiums curently in consideration.

My guesses would be

NY/NJ (Final)
LA (Opening US Match)
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Palo Alto
Seattle
DC
That seems like a weird choice considering Vancouver or Calgary would make more sense from a host city, but maybe their stadiums suck
Vancouver, like CHicago and Minneapolis decided not to bid.
JJxvi
AG
I also assume that Phoenix did not bid, which is odd to me.
AgGrad99
AG
1994 was so awesome as a teenager.

This will be so much better. I cant wait.

Wherever the games are, I'll be heading to a few of them for sure!
Aston94
AG
Here are the 23 current sites which will need to be paired down to 16 (I don't see Canada or Mexico having less than 3 sites each so really it is 17 US cities that will need to be reduced to 10).

Terk
AG
I'm going to be touring the country in 2026... Looking forward to it, 8 years to go.
JJxvi
AG
This is my final gut feeling looking over the map.

NY
LA
SF
Seattle
Denver
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
DC
Miami

I could see Philly or KC getting one of those spots as well. If FIFA is involved in the final choices as it seems they are then you may also see weird nonsensical **** happen too, though.
Heisenberg01
AG
Gut feel is Texas will only get 1 location and Boston or Philly will get one if not both. Hope I'm wrong. I expect the East Coast bias will be strong in the selections.
Aston94
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

Gut feel is Texas will only get 1 location and Boston or Philly will get one if not both. Hope I'm wrong. I expect the East Coast bias will be strong in the selections.
With large Latin population and both Houston and Dallas having beautiful indoor stadiums which take out weather issues I think they both may be selected.

Towns I don't see making the final group:

Nashville (Atlanta takes spot)
Miami or Orlando (Florida gets one but not both)
Cincinnati
Kansas City or Denver (one but not other)
Baltimore or DC (cannot see them both getting bid)
Philadelphia
Last one is a crap shoot, although I really have trouble imagining Edmonton being selected over any of the remaining US cities, so maybe Canada only gets two spots.

eiggA2002
AG
Quote:

Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium), Baltimore (M&T Bank Stadium), Boston (Gillette Stadium), Cincinnati (Paul Brown Stadium), Dallas (AT&T Stadium), Denver (Sports Authority Field), Houston (NRG Stadium), Kansas City (Arrowhead Stadium), Los Angeles (Rose Bowl and the new NFL stadium), Miami (Hard Rock Stadium), Nashville (Nissan Stadium), New York (MetLife Stadium), Orlando (Camping World Stadium), Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field), San Jose (Levi's Stadium), Seattle (Century Link Field) and Washington (FedEx Field).
I'm buying stock in manufacturers of grass pitches. All of the Canadian and a lot of these fields will have to be replaced or altered for the World Cup. They currently allow partial artificial with mostly real turf like most of the nicer PL pitches. I hope they don't allow FieldTurf.

Also, Levi's Stadium is the worst stadium in America. I can't understand how they continue to get events. It's orientated in the wrong direction and there is absolutely zero gameday atmosphere. It's awful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dallas - 100%
Houston - 90%
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dallas - 100%
Houston - 90%
Yep. And both are great areas in terms of fans for the atmosphere. I may not like it, but one of the best atmosphere's I've been in was Mexico vs Panama in the Gold Cup at Jerry World. That place was rocking
p-wonk01
AG
How do we get Kyle Field on this rotation?
p-wonk01
AG
I had heard today that some were looking at Dallas as potential to be the main headquarters for the world media associated with the event. It would make sense given the location and airport access to every destination listed.
PatAg
AG
There's also plenty of time for the fully artificial fields to get a nice pitch 'grown" on it. If they stop booking concerts/events far enough in advance, that is.
nereus
AG
gougler08 said:

JJxvi said:

FIFA can apparently decide on a different mix. But the Canadian and Mexican stadiums preferred by the bid group are set already.

Azteca (Mexico City), Estadio BBVA (Monterrey), Estadio Akron (Guadalajara), BMO Field ( Toronto), Olympic Stadium (Montreal), and Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton)

10 cities expected to host games in the United States, and I think there are like 20+ stadiums curently in consideration.

My guesses would be

NY/NJ (Final)
LA (Opening US Match)
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Palo Alto
Seattle
DC
That seems like a weird choice considering Vancouver or Calgary would make more sense from a host city, but maybe their stadiums suck
Calgary was contacted by the committee as a potential host but they did not submit a bid to be included. Vancouver dropped out of the bidding process voluntarily before the first round.

The Commonwealth Stadium is actually larger than the Vancouver or Calgary stadium that they were looking at.
nereus
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Read potentially Jerryworld for semifinals. That'd be sweet.
I think that is most likely. At one point they were proposing

Opening match at either: Azteca Stadium or Rose Bowl

Semifinals at: Jerryworld and Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta

Of course that might have changed.
JJxvi
AG
The stadium that seems way to small in Canada to be hosting is BMO field in Toronto, which is only 30,000. Gotta think they plan to expand it or something.
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure they'd be required to because I believe for just the group stage matches it has to have 40k seats
nereus
AG
They stated in the bid it would expand to 45,500 for the tournament.
randy828
AG
wangus12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dallas - 100%
Houston - 90%
Yep. And both are great areas in terms of fans for the atmosphere. I may not like it, but one of the best atmosphere's I've been in was Mexico vs Panama in the Gold Cup at Jerry World. That place was rocking
I went to a WC game in '94 at the Cotton Bowl...Saudia Arabia against Belgium...what a great party in the stands...fans from all different teams in their own colors with horns and drums. It was a riot.

However, my favorite atmosphere was the USA vs mexico game in 2003 at then Reliant. USA fans were still gloating over the 2002 WC and mexican fans seemed excited about their youth movement.

What I would give for a Brazil vs USA game in Houston in 2026 WC.
PascalsWager
AG
There's even a path to WIN the world cup. Hopefully by 2026 every single player named in the initial 26 is playing at worst on a rotational basis for the at least 6th place (europa league) team in at at worst Ligue 1. That's 34 elite clubs with about 25 roster spots each. It won't be easy but we have 330 million people.
Rudyjax
AG
PascalsWager said:

There's even a path to WIN the world cup. Hopefully by 2026 every single player named in the initial 26 is playing at worst on a rotational basis for the at least 6th place (europa league) team in at at worst Ligue 1. That's 34 elite clubs with about 25 roster spots each. It won't be easy but we have 330 million people.
I agree. If you look at it, our young european players, Pulisic, Sargent, Weah, Parks, McKennie, Carter-Vickers and a few more will be in their prime at 26-28.

Then you have the kids that are 12-15 today that you haven't heard from.

I don't think we'll win it, but I think we'll be a serious contender.
Olsen
AG
Any idea if FIFA 2026 will be held in the summer season of that year? Qatar 2022 will be held from late November to mid-December in 2022.
Rudyjax
AG
I can't imagine it wouldn't be in the summer. They don't want to rearrange the leagues again.
Aston94
AG
It will be in the typical WC window (late June-early July).
Olsen
AG
My prediction for the chosen 10 cities in the United States:

New York/New Jersey
Los Angeles
Seattle
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Boston
San Francisco Bay Area
Orlando
Miami
nereus
AG
The Florida ones are interesting. They are certainly vacation destinations so that is a big plus and Miami has a huge Hispanic population that should support the games. On the down side, they are the two smallest venues on the short list as far as stadium capacity and the weather for soccer at that time of the year can be brutal. That was one of the big complaints about the US hosting the World Cup last time: 100+ heat and high humidity of the game played in Texas and Florida. They don't have that problem with Dallas and Houston this time because those sites have domes, but the Florida ones don't.

Those sites could make for brutal games to watch in person but plenty of fun things to do before and afterwards if they make the cut.
akm91
AG
Camping World Stadium (formerly known as the Citrus Bowl) has 65K capacity so should be big enough. I just don't see both Miami and Orlando as host sites.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.