* Liverpool 2018-2019 Thread *

86,940 Views | 1475 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OregonAggie
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OregonAggie
OregonAggie
AG
I don't foresee Palace helping us out today. They look completely overmatched and timid today.
jeffk
AG
Sadly, I think Spurs are our best hope to take points from City. ManU maybe - but they look pretty toothless lately.
Out in Left Field
AG
2-0, no help
byfLuger41
AG
Thoughts and prayers to the 96.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
OregonAggie
AG
Great game so far (20th minute)

Keita has looked like a different player over the last 3 games. Also, they're all hitting Hazard pretty hard today.
toucan82
wooooo
joemeister
AG
Luckily there is nobody at my house or I would have just embarrassed myself after that Salah goal.
Out in Left Field
OregonAggie
AG
joemeister said:

Luckily there is nobody at my house or I would have just embarrassed myself after that Salah goal.

My whole family started laughing at me. What an awesome strike!
jeffk
AG
3 points well-earned. Both goals were things of beauty.
OregonAggie
AG
Good article on Captain Hendo...although the writer compares him to a dog hahaha. He's been great since taking a more forward role on the team and I think Hendo and Fabinho are mainstays for us the rest of the year. I assum Gini will be on the field with them against Porto but we will see. He hasn't been great the last few games but maybe he just needed a breather.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/15/jordan-henderson-liverpool-dogged-captain-centre-stage-title-race
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone worried about wrapping up the slate with basically the Little Sisters of the Poor while City has a host of real challenges left in front of them, Spurs, @ManU, @Burnley, Leicester and @Brighton.

Maybe counterintuitive...
powerbelly
AG
I always worry. It doesn't really matter who we have left.
AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

Good article on Captain Hendo...although the writer compares him to a dog hahaha. He's been great since taking a more forward role on the team and I think Hendo and Fabinho are mainstays for us the rest of the year. I assum Gini will be on the field with them against Porto but we will see. He hasn't been great the last few games but maybe he just needed a breather.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/15/jordan-henderson-liverpool-dogged-captain-centre-stage-title-race
I think all 5 midfielders will have a part to play moving forward. Hendo and Fabinho's value are a given, but Naby's speed/quickness, Gini's energy/physicality, and Milner's toughness/reliabilty are all going to be necessary.

All 5 could start, it just depends on the matchup and form. It is really an embarrassment of riches to have so many talented and versatile midfielders. The management team has built incredible depth.

OregonAggie
AG
I agree about the wealth of riches we have in midfield right now but Klopp does seem to favor guys for extended periods of time. Gini/Milner/Hendo come to mind with all the CL games and big EPL games until February or so. I know it took Fabinho a few months to finally show what he could do and Keita has only gotten comfortable in the last few weeks.

It does make me curious about the lineups for CL. I think Hendo has more than proven he needs to be on the field, as has Fabinho. Gini did that up until about 2 weeks ago and hopefully his break the last couple weeks allowed him to get back to great form. He was our most consistent performer until very recently.
AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

I agree about the wealth of riches we have in midfield right now but Klopp does seem to favor guys for extended periods of time. Gini/Milner/Hendo come to mind with all the CL games and big EPL games until February or so. I know it took Fabinho a few months to finally show what he could do and Keita has only gotten comfortable in the last few weeks.

It does make me curious about the lineups for CL. I think Hendo has more than proven he needs to be on the field, as has Fabinho. Gini did that up until about 2 weeks ago and hopefully his break the last couple weeks allowed him to get back to great form. He was our most consistent performer until very recently.

It's hard to tell with Klopp. Sometimes it seems like he plays favorites, but I never know who is truly injured. I think he is unwilling to start a midfielder who isn't 100% physically because of how much he asks from them; consequently, it has been difficult for me to figure out who are his "go-to guys" if everyone is healthy.

For the upcoming CL game, I also expect Gini to get the nod next to Hendo and Fabinho. Gini is the most conservative passer and is probably the best choice when you simply want to grind down an opposition. Liverpool are taking a solid lead on the road and don't need to score more than 1 goal to advance provided they play good defense. Naby moves too quickly sometimes and the game can really get stretched when he is involved. Great for goal scoring, but no so much for goal preventing. I'd also save Milner on the bench because of his ability to provide cover for 5 different positions.
jeffk
AG
powerbelly said:

I always worry. It doesn't really matter who we have left.

Same same.
jeffk
jeffk
AG
Also, we should see our new home kit Thursday. Bet it's red.
Dalton Hughes
jeffk
AG
Mo was named one of Time Magazine's Top 100 most influential people this year.
joemeister
AG
Looks like the game is on Univision again. If you have UVerse you can use their streaming service to watch it.
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie
AG
Can you imagine being in the stadium for that one??
OregonAggie
AG
Lovren didn't make the trip but Gomez did, although Gomez probably won't play. Lallana made the travel squad as well but we'll see if he gets on the team sheet.

Looking forward to this one!
AGC
AG
jeffk said:

Mo was named one of Time Magazine's Top 100 most influential people this year.

Anyone care to enlighten me about Spanish press saying Salah wants an exit after a discussion with Klopp? Is that all BS or what?
jeffk
AG
Hopefully nothing to it... I don't put a lot of stock in what "the Spanish press" are reporting until it's confirmed by other outlets.

Also, rumors pop up the day after Barca win to set up a probable CL semifinal matchup with LFC?
AGC
AG
I don't follow English press so that's why I ask here. But yes, it's not a pro-RM outlet saying it...
OregonAggie
AG
I saw that report earlier and now Liverpool FC are flat out denying it. I feel like we're gonna hear about this for the rest of Salah and Mane's careers. There's been rumors swirling about both of them for months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-dismiss-laughable-mohamed-salah-14386901.amp
gougler08
AG
OregonAggie said:

I saw that report earlier and now Liverpool FC are flat out denying it. I feel like we're gonna hear about this for the rest of Salah and Mane's careers. There's been rumors swirling about both of them for months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-dismiss-laughable-mohamed-salah-14386901.amp
Most of the European tabloids have no idea either way
OregonAggie
AG
Team today:

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Origi.

Subs: Mignolet, Keita, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Shaqiri.
jeffk
AG
Salah's agent:

Mustang1
AG
Absolutely pouring rain in Porto right now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.