* Liverpool 2018-2019 Thread *

86,949 Views | 1475 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OregonAggie
Dalton Hughes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
gig them said:

Stupid NBC Gold

Stupid Keita penalty not given

Stupid waste of a golden opportunity to extend the gap
To summarize...
Stupid.
jeffk
AG
We did extend the gap from 4 to 5...

But yeah, missed chance to go up 7. I don't feel too bad about it though as we played pretty poorly at some key moments and still got a point. That penalty is a tough one to see at times so I'm not furious about it. Plus, they missed a easy goal in the first half that could have been huge.
gig them
AG
The irony is that we have been given penalties that were far weaker

Is it too much to ask for those and ALSO this one?
jeffk
AG
At least we're not Chelsea?
eiggA2002
AG
Everything was just weird tonight. From the dumb foul and no calls, to the formations and squad choice, to the ball leaving tracks with every pass because of the snow. Just weird. We just weren't good tonight.
Dre_00
Going from 4 to 5 doesn't really do much. It just brings GD into play more which City currently has a slight advantage in.

But hey...you gained ground in a week where you didn't win so that's pretty nice.
OregonAggie
AG
I didn't watch but listened to the live audio through LiverpoolFC.com. It's free by the way if y'all want to listen to it.

The announcers were floored Maguire didn't get a red and thought the Keita foul was a definite PK. Also, they thought Matip played poorly.

Another thing they mentioned was how few saves Schmeichel had to make yesterday. Plenty of shots but few on target.

Sounded like a weird game but the good news is that we're 5 points ahead now instead of 4. The last 14 are full of games that we should win so I'm still cautiously optimistic.
gig them
AG
Also our first dropped points all year against teams outside the top six. This was bound to happen at some point.
OregonAggie
AG
gig them said:

Also our first dropped points all year against teams outside the top six. This was bound to happen at some point.

That's true and thankfully it wasn't a loss. I don't see this as a setback at all.
joemeister
AG
I watched the game while at work, so I admittedly wasn't giving it my full attention for the full 90 minutes. The Maguire foul was very close to the middle of the field and it wasn't clear that another Leicester defender wouldn't have caught Mane before being in on goal. I'm okay with that not being a red card.

Keita was 100% fouled in the box. I haven't heard or read many opinions saying it wasn't a foul. The hyperbolic sports press instead focuses on the narrative of "Liverpool are divers, so it serves them right that they didn't get a legit PK."

VVD had his worst game of the season IMO (he was marking Maguire on their goal) and it looked like Allison was unable to adjust his passing to the field conditions. Considering Man City lose every time Fernandinho is out of sorts, I think a draw when VVD isn't playing well isn't too bad.

The game could have easily been a loss (the Foxes missed two pretty easy headers) or a win (the PK). The saves Schmeichel had were great. He kept them in the game early by stopping a really nice Firmino shot.

Harry Maguire and Kasper Schmeichel both had tremendous games and were the primary reason it ended in a draw. Leicester's style of play is very troublesome for most of the top teams. I'm not that disappointed with a draw considering how the other results went.
gig them
AG
Spot on stuff across the board. I'll only add that I place more blame for their goal on Matip.

When that ball gets floated above his head, the only reason he should possibly let it drop is if Allison is claiming it / screaming his head off. Otherwise, you track that sucker back and put it in row Z.
OregonAggie
AG
Dang boys, Gomez may be out for awhile. Possibly headed for surgery.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-fears-joe-gomez-15769436.amp
jeffk
OregonAggie
AG
Gomez is having surgery and they're hopeful he'll be back this season...sucks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47116999
OregonAggie
AG
AND ITS GAMEDAY!!!!!
Dalton Hughes
eiggA2002
OregonAggie
AG
Lineup and noted per Liverpoolfc.com

Fabinho, Adam Lallana and James Milner come into the Reds starting XI at London Stadium.

Xherdan Shaqiri drops down to the bench in the capital, while Jordan Henderson and Dejan Lovren are ruled out due to slight muscle issues, and Georginio Wijnaldum is absent because of a sore knee.

Liverpool: Alisson, Milner, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita, Lallana, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Substitutes: Mignolet, Sturridge, Moreno, Shaqiri, Origi, Jones, Camacho.

Hoping for a good showing by lallana. I feel like he's looked pretty good in the spot play opportunities recently.
OregonAggie
AG
Mane 22' goal. Great pass by Lallana to release Milner for a cross (Milner was offside no doubt by the way). Mane has a great turn and puts it in from the 6 yd box.

1-0 Good Guys!
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
Onside, clear as night
gig them
AG
OregonAggie said:

Mane 22' goal. Great pass by Lallana to release Milner for a cross (Milner was offside no doubt by the way). Mane has a great turn and puts it in from the 6 yd box.

1-0 Good Guys!

What's offside? Is it a type of soup?
OregonAggie
AG
I think you guys are right...I probably don't know what that even is hahahaha
joemeister
AG
Have really given up some crap goals lately. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.
gig them
AG
That was a good goal.

I'll find someone to blame, but that was a good goal.

Edit: Even though it was a slick training ground move, I'm blaming Keita. That run wasn't very complicated.
OregonAggie
AG
gig them said:

That was a good goal.

I'll find someone to blame, but that was a good goal.

Edit: Even though it was a slick training ground move, I'm blaming Keita. That run wasn't very complicated.

Yup. Keita got picked a bit but should've gotten in front of that guy. West ham apparently put in some time on these set piece plays.
OregonAggie
AG
Son of a *****

Every west ham set piece is ending in an opportunity for them. That dude should've put that on goal.
gougler08
AG
Karma for the first goal
OregonAggie
AG
We look very suspect defensively. I wonder why Klopp plays Milner at RB when he could play Fabinho there. I've been super underwhelmed with him at RB.

Keita just looks lost defensively. Offensively he hasn't really been good either. Crappy game by him so far.
BenderRodriguez
AG
OregonAggie said:

Keita just looks lost defensively. Offensively he hasn't really been good either. Crappy game by him so far.
Yeah, he's always been a little on again/off again but he's not playing well at all this game so far.

I saw him some in the Bundesliga (not a Leipzig fan so didn't see every game of his) and he's usually better about possession in the middle than this though...this has been really mediocre.
OregonAggie
AG
I agree with his play at Leipzig.

I was really excited about his signing but he just hasn't fit in yet. I hope he does eventually.
gig them
AG
Now City have a chance to go top of the table on Wednesday night
joemeister
AG
Everton look as bad as Huddersfield lately, so I doubt they do much against Man City.

Two games in a row with very poor passing in the attacking third. Going to be a rough finish to the season if they don't get their **** together soon. Luckily, Man City have not looked invincible this season and it's unlikely they go the rest of the way without dropping points.
OregonAggie
AG
That was frustrating to watch for sure. Bobby didn't look sharp today and our lack of the final pass today just killed us. West Ham played pretty good today too, so credit where credit is due.
Mathguy64
AG
Score off a horrible miss on offside with an AR 4 full yards out of position and almost score a second when the flag stayed down at the end.

The misses here were so bad and have such big implications you might actually see the PL implement VAR immediately.
jeffk
AG
Pretty crazy to have two blatant and hugely impactful misses like that with one from each AR.

That said, another lackluster performance leads to some more dropped points. Hope these last two don't come back to haunt us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.