* Liverpool 2018-2019 Thread *

86,861 Views | 1475 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OregonAggie
ssmason
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even if we end up in Pot 3, there isn't any combination of teams in pot 1 and 2 that scare me to advancing from the group. Maybe I'm a little spoiled from last year's run, but I think we definitely finish top 2 in the group stage of CL with a good chance to be the group winners.
jeffk
OregonAggie
jeffk
AG
Same lineup as last weekend.
Out in Left Field
AG
That Keita to Salah play was almost the goal of the century.
jeffk
AG
1-0

Milner converts a Salah penalty right before half.
jeffk
AG
CP down to 10 men after Wan-Bissaka takes down Mo on the break.
jeffk
AG
Mane ices it in the 93'. 2-0.
joemeister
coastalAg
AG
Van Dijk was completely dominant. Great match for Alisson as well.
FriedTex
AG
This team feels special. This would have been a 1-1 draw off of some dumb set piece late in the game. I think they are learning to manage/win games
Mustang1
AG
Defense was stellar. 3 pts away is always nice.
OregonAggie
AG
POAK drew 1-1 away at Benfica today. Still a chance for a Pot 2 selection for us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-edge-nearer-champions-league-15057863.amp

We were a finalist as a Pot 3 team last year but it would be nice to miss some of those teams. Here's how it stands now as far as the pots:

Pot 1
Real, Barca, Atleti, Bayern, Manchester City, Juventus, PSG and Lokomotiv Moscow

Pot 2
Dortmund, Porto, Manchester United, Shakhtar, Napoli, Tottenham, Roma, (Liverpool or Benfica)

Pot 3
Schalke, Lyon, Monaco, CSKA Moscow and the winner of Ajax/Dynamo Kiev. There's 3 other spots to fill as well.

Benfica getting knocked out just gives us 1 less possibly tough matchup which I'd definitely take. All the Pot 2 teams could give us a problem but the Pot 3 teams look very manageable.

2nd leg of POAK and Benfica is next Wednesday with the group stage draw in Thursday.
AG@RICE
AG
Having Van Dijk as our lead CB is soooo much better than having Lovren lead the defense.

Early last year a guy like Benteke would have bullied the CBs all over the park. We certainly would have given up the 1-0 lead and probably lost the game. This year, at the end of the game it looked like Benteke was glad that it was over. Virgil completely physically dominated him, which is something I've never seen when Benteke plays Liverpool. Combine that with Alisson's strong presence in the air, and Joe Gomez's recovery speed and the new look defense will be very difficult to beat.

Here is a pretty good article from soccernet that talks about VVD's impact: http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3606715/liverpool-got-what-they-paid-for-in-virgil-van-dijk-he-has-fixed-the-defence
gig them
AG
VVD was worth every penny

And that was a lot of pennies
eiggA2002
AG
Quote:

Having Van Dijk as our lead CB is soooo much better than having Lovren lead the defense.
And I'm not sure Lovren is getting his job back alongside VVD either
OregonAggie
AG
The guys on the Blood Red Podcast talked about this yesterday and I couldn't agree more. It took VVD 2-3 games to really get comfortable but he's been nails ever since for sure.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/blood-red/id1109064476?mt=2

I'm not sure Gomez will keep Lovren out of the lineup, but he definitely could. I'll also admit that I really like Lovren and think he played well at the end of last season and at the World Cup....then again the Blood Red guys were laughing and saying maybe VVD just made him better and is also making Gomez look better!
ssmason
I agree that Lovren is better than Gomez right now, and that's not a knock on Gomez at all. I'm glad Gomez is getting a really good look at CB, he's solid at RB but between TAA and Clyne we don't need him there and I think he has a real future at CB.

I'm really interested to see when/how Klopp breaks up the initial starting 11 that he has started the past two games. I think Hendo will be the first one to do it but Wijnaldum has played without mistakes so idk
gig them
AG
Since Hendo and Lovren were heavily involved in long WC campaigns, I'm fine leaving them out as long as the results are rolling.

Especially since it won't be too long before CL fixture congestion works those guys back into the equation

OregonAggie
AG
[URL=.html][/URL]
joemeister
jeffk
jeffk
AG
Same lineup again.
OregonAggie
AG
Starting XI: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita, Salah, Mane, Firmino

Bench: Mignolet, Matip, Moreno, Henderson, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge
Out in Left Field
AG
Nice save there
jeffk
AG
Knock, knock, knocking on Brighton's dooooooor.
Out in Left Field
AG
Don't play with the ball in the middle
jeffk
AG
Mo
OregonAggie
AG
Damn Mane is terrible today.
OregonAggie
AG
That was some good skill by Alisson but holy crap that was dumb.

I really liked it hahahaha
gougler08
AG
OregonAggie said:

That's as Brazilian as you can get

O/U on goals that he gives up this year by trying to play the ball in bad positions, 1.5?
OregonAggie
AG
Yeah I think I'll take the over on that just based on this game!
jeffk
AG
Not the best, but we still took all three points - which is an improvement from last year.
jeffk
AG
Oh, yeah...

TOP O' THE TABLE.
ssmason
gougler08 said:

OregonAggie said:

That's as Brazilian as you can get

O/U on goals that he gives up this year by trying to play the ball in bad positions, 1.5?

Gotta go under. Zero goals conceded this year fellas haha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.