* Liverpool 2018-2019 Thread *

86,853 Views | 1475 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OregonAggie
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love Sturridge.

I just hate that his legs appear to be made out of brittle glass.

If he had managed to stay healthy the last few years I wonder what kind of player he'd be...
AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

I agree with all of that although I'm curious about Fabinho. There's some talk out there that when Klopp says he isn't integrated enough...he actually means he just simply isn't ready for the premier league and not that he can't actually get the system down. I'm hoping he just hasn't acclimated to the Liverpool system yet because that's a helluva price tag for a bust.

Sturridge coming off the bench and having spot starts for Firmino is going to pay dividends this year. I've seen interviews where his mood seems great and he just wants to contribute/compete all year with the club. That's great news for us. Sturridge/Firmino aren't like for like but he's definitely got talent and goal scoring ability.
Even if Fabinho isn't a star this year, you can't label it a bust. He is under contract till 2023 and is only 24 years old.

I think Fabinho will have time to slowly integrate into the squad. Hendo is the guaranteed starting holding midfield in epl matches for at least the next year. Also, Milner and Wijnaldum can play that position at a high level, so I don't expect him to have to play a crucial role in a big match this upcoming year.

Klopp might use Fabinho as his jack-of-all-trades fill-in this upcoming year. A sprinkling of games at CB, RB, CDM as both a starter or sub depending on the game or injuries. Assuming everyone is healthy, I expect him to be in the same spot in the pecking order as Emre Can was last year.
jeffk
AG
I want Sturridge to have a great, injury-free year. Lord knows he's due one.

Fabinho will be fine. I think Klopp brought him on to provide coverage across the back half of our formation and he'll do fine with that as he grows into a potential starter down the road. Glad that our team looks so strong early, but I'm even more glad that we look so strong while still being pretty young.
eiggA2002
AG
I recall a certain other Brazilian that took a while to adjust to the PL....I think Bobby has turned out just fine. Klopp gets guys for his system and he wanted Fab. Plus it's only preseason and he honestly hasn't looked bad. The best part is we have some depth now (before we have 4 injuries to MF at once and Sturridge breaks in half) that he doesn't have to plug and play day one. CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAY!
JoeOlson
AG
He's got a ceiling as high as almost anyone on the team. The drop off between Firmino/Sturridge is small; but, it's a massive gap w/ Origi, Solanke, Ings (if we keep them).

I like the idea of Fabinho is a Mascherano-style DM (although potentially redundant w/ Hendo). I don't think he was ever intended to be the type of creative player ala Keita,

I still wish we would sign a strong CB; but, Lovren really played well this WC and I remember reading that Lovren/VVD led us to one of the top defensive rankings in the PL last year when they played together. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gomez/VVD as well. He feels much more natural playing CB vs RB. I think it's pretty clear that Trent is the man at RB (although it will be interesting to see how Clyne comes back)

Other than that, it's tough to see any real gaps w/ the team.

LB - Robertson/Moreno is a solid pairing. If robo keeps playing like last year, one of the best LBs in football
CB - discussed/Gomez/Matip/Klavan
RB - TAA, Clyne
M - not even sure how we break this all down. I definitely want Keita playing more of an attacking role - we're going to need him to break down the bottom/mid tier teams when they park. (Probably Lallana behind him)
Henderson/Milner will probably share a box to box role. Fabinho/Wijnaldum I assume will play more of a Holding role.

Does Shaqiri play in the Midfield or backing up Salah?

I wish we had a better backup for Mane (Solanke? Origi? Almost wish we still had Woodburn here)
Firmino/Sturridge is pretty straightforward
Salah/Shaqiri

this is going to be such a fun season - almost as excited as I am for Aggie football!
OregonAggie
AG
I think Clyne pushes for a lot of playing time this year because he's a damn good player and would've kept TAA on the bench had he not been hurt.

Gomez is a CB but Klopp played him outside last year. I read last year that Gomez wanted a chance at CB and I think he's getting it this year. He'll definitely be in the rotation.

Moreno looked good in the preseason and he's going to push for PT. Robertson is a better player and will get most of the time, but Moreno will be able to spot start for him.

Our backline has some depth and talent if you ask me.

Up front, I bet Klopp has a rotation so to speak with Mane/Salah/Shaqiri. Shaqiri can play either wing so now we will have a front line that is rested all year long.

Midfield? I'm not guessing there because there's too many good parts in the midfield!

HOLY **** THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD TEAM!!!!!!
jeffk
AG
Predictions for this year?

Any silverware?

How do we fare in the CL and PL?

Can Salah replicate or surpass his goal total from last season?
OregonAggie
AG
I think Salah scores 25+. No way he hits for 40+ again but who knows. Firmino 25, Mane 15, Shaqiri 10 or so. Coutinho, Ox, and Can scored almost 25 between that trio and we have to replace that. I'm hoping Gini can step it up and Keita should be pretty active with goals as well. I'm thinking Shaqiri/Wijnaldum/Keita will hit 25+ as a group. An in-form Sturridge will make a difference too.

2nd place PL
At least quarters of CL
Possibly FA Cup
OregonAggie
AG
Sure is nice sitting through this deadline day not hoping and praying we sign someone. Looks like Ings still may move along with a few other names but we don't have a glaring need to fill today.

Klopp owned this transfer window like a boss.
eiggA2002
AG
I love how Chelsea paid $72M for a keeper that most of their fans had never heard of and is unproven, but Liverpool spent too much when we beat them to Alisson.
jeffk
AG
I love how Klopp is living rent-free in Mourinho's Head. Every one of his press conferences is Klopp this, Liverpool that.
eiggA2002
AG
Ings to Southampton done deal:

ssmason
I think part of what makes this team so exciting is the team chemistry and comraderie (sp?) that they have. There don't seem to be any selfish players that cause drama. Most everyone seems to be accepting their roles and want to benefit the team.

I'm really interested to see how Klopp manages the 3 midfield spots because he has plenty of options.
gig them
AG
We truly appear to have proper midfield depth for a full PL/CL campaign. I'm so pumped.

And it's a good thing, too, because this system demands a ton from those three spots. A little rotation will go a long ways.
FriedTex
Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field
AG
Mo Salah! Mo Salah! Mo Salah!
gougler08
AG
Guy is way better when he doesn't have a bunch of Egyptian scrubs trying to get him the ball
Out in Left Field
joemeister
JoeOlson
gougler08
AG
You guys don't need help from the refs too
jeffk
AG
Make-up call from the Dynamo game.
Out in Left Field
AG
2 nut shots for the price of 1
Out in Left Field
AG
Sturridge super sub
jeffk
AG
Good job, good effort.
AG@RICE
AG
Naby Keita wearing Stevie G's #8 just feels right. He has the same god given ability to inject drive and purpose to an attack.

I also love having this version of Sturridge on the bench. If he stays healthy, he is going to be an incredible weapon. He might bag double digit goals while only playing 5 min per game.
OregonAggie
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailysabah.com/football/2018/08/14/fenerbahce-hosts-benfica-in-make-or-break-champions-league-tie/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-champions-league-pot-group-14980486.amp

Big game to determine which pot Liverpool are in for seeding. We're currently the highest seeded team in Pot 3. If Benfica loses to Fenerbache today on aggregate, then we move to Pot 2 and secure an easier initial group.

I believe the gametime today is 1pm CST. Definitely will be following on my phone!
gig them
AG
Good info, thanks
OregonAggie
AG
Absolutely welcome.

Unfortunately benfica scored an away goal and are to 2-0 aggregate...Fenerbache needs 3 goals or it isn't happening.

jeffk
AG
Sergio Ramos can get bent. (He made some further comments regarding the CL final and Klopp.)
texagbeliever
Well looks like liverpool spiral has begun. Salah in trouble with the police.

For being on the cell phone while driving a stopped car. Nanny state!
jeffk
AG
Lol.

Let those who've not pretended to be on their phone to avoid making eye contact with a bunch of people chasing down their moving vehicle seeking autographs throw the first stone.
OregonAggie
AG
So I was a bit mistaken about the CL info. Benfica won but still have another 2-leg matchup vs a Greek team I've never heard of. Fenerbache is a more respected club than the Greek opponent but the Greek team knocked out Spartak Moscow and Basel.

We still have hope!
texagbeliever
Replace fans with panhandlers and all of Houston would be guilty

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.