Manchester United 2018-19 Thread

75,621 Views | 1304 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by planoaggie123
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, last season was....something. On the bright side, we actually finished in the top 4....2nd in fact. That's practically stratospheric compared to the past few seasons. But when you're 19 points behind 1st, 2nd doesn't feel much like 2nd. And no trophies. Say what you will about the Europa League or the FA Cup but they added hardware to the trophy case.

So, we roll into 2018-19 with a whole slew of questions. Will Mourinho be able to truly turn this team into a contender? If he doesn't by December, will he be around next May? Will players like Martial and Rashford, who not long ago seemed like they'd be fixtures in the squad for years be around to start the season?
ScottishFire
AG
We need a Centerback and a #10. With those pieces in place, I think they can play with anyone. If they can add a fullback/wingback then we can be really be good.
Dre_00
Alderweireld/Martial swap rumor. That would be so very Mourinho. Pretty much guarantees Martial becomes world class.
Thunder18
AG
Spurs allegedly want 75 million for Alderweireld, which seems absolutely insane to me
ryan_m
That's actually absurd. He's a great player, but that kind of money would be better spent on a younger CB, imo
ja86
AG
Looks like the first signing is going to be Fred whose transfer is apparently done for around 50 million.
Dre_00
And Darmian supposedly heading to Juve for 12 million.
ryan_m
Karius is so bad! HAHA!! Classic Liverpool showing right here boys!
Dre_00
Kinda hate myself for even bringing this up but it seems like Ronaldo is actually over Real. His comments post game were pretty stark. Maybe he actually leaves Madrid this summer.
Griffle
Dre_00 said:

Kinda hate myself for even bringing this up but it seems like Ronaldo is actually over Real. His comments post game were pretty stark. Maybe he actually leaves Madrid this summer.

I will believe it when I see it. He's done this before both with leaving and coming back.
Dre_00
God, now Bale rumor picking up steam again. Seriously, let's just go copy and paste the rumors from the last 2 close seasons and save us all a lot of time on this thread.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

God, now Bale rumor picking up steam again. Seriously, let's just go copy and paste the rumors from the last 2 close seasons and save us all a lot of time on this thread.
Bale definitely sounded like he was ready to leave Real Madrid after the UCL Final. He will not stay unless guaranteed starting position.

I could see Bale as a lot more likely target than Ronaldo. I am sure RM will give CR7 whatever it takes to keep him there and happy. He is too much of a money maker for them to let him go.

Bale needs to come back to England, better for him and the league.
Dre_00
I'll say this...Mourinho isn't talking like he wants to bring in a player that will take even more time away from Martial or Rashford. These comments are within the context of adding a striker but they still shed light on his view of Martial/Rashford, in my opinion. We all know that Lukaku is his 1st choice striker 9 times out of 10. If he sees the likes of Martial and Rashford as secondary striker options then he knows that they have to get some playing time elsewhere and that has to be as wingers. Bring in another winger and all you have in Martial/Rashford are expensive paperweights who get a few minutes once a month.

If the author of the article is right, he'll be targeting 2 fullbacks, 2 midfielders, and a center back...which makes sense.

https://www.football365.com/news/report-mourinho-wants-to-sign-five-players-this-summer
jeffk
AG
Fred?
Dre_00
Dre_00
Nice article about the leader of the world's best mystery solving team potentially coming to United. Pretty impressive statistics.

Quote:

Mourinho may have discussed filling Carrick's place, but Fred will not mimic his role. In fact, the statistics are a little ridiculous. During Shakhtar Donetsk's Champions League campaign last season, Fred ranked first for tackles so he's a bulldog defensive midfielder? He ranked first for touches and first for passes so he's deep-lying playmaker? He ranked third for chances created and third for shots so he's a box-to-box midfielder that makes runs from deep? He ranked first for dribbles completed so he just does sodding everything?
https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-fred-can-be-man-uniteds-midfield-catalyst
ryan_m
Fred is the top whisper right now at https://www.footballwhispers.com

Not far behind is Dalot, sitting at a nice 4.7

Looks like a couple signings happening this week
ryan_m
FRED IS RED!! Come on United!
Dre_00
Looking forward to his inevitable photo shoot with Fred the Red.
Dre_00
And now Diogo Dalot is official. Getting **** done early this season. Nice to have a young option at RB with Valencia getting older.
Aston94
AG
2 great signings so far!
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Aston94 said:

2 great signings so far!
Agreed. Really like Fred the Red and think he will allow Pogba up the pitch more. Dalot looks promising but definitely a long term signing. Dont see him getting a TON of PT this next season, but will be nice for him to learn under Valencia. See him playing some of the lower level teams in the UCL and FA Cup, and mop up duty in League play. Still need another defender, mid and a wing/striker. Bale probably isnt happening although i would be over the moon if it did.
Dre_00
Fixture list is out and United get a relatively easy start to the season. Only one game against a top 6 club in the first 2 months and even that one is Spurs at OT. That said, never underestimate the ability of United to lose games on the road to the likes of Watford, West Ham, and Burnley (which actually is a legitimately tricky fixture).

Dre_00
De Gea on the verge of signing a new 5 year contract. His current contract runs out at the end of next season but United do have the option to extend it for a year but it sounds like they want to renew now anyway...which is a good move.
Mathguy64
AG
After that howler he just let in, he better get it signed fast.
planoaggie123
AG
Not De Gea's best showing....one terrible mistake and a few other shaky moments...not sure why he seems to play so much different for the Spanish national team vs United but I will take it...maybe keep his stock from going up too high...
datrixstunna
AG
As long as DDG is world class while at United, I couldn't care less what he does with Spain.
ja86
AG
Actually, I don't mind him being **** for the national team if it keep certain Spanish teams for pursuing him so hard.
Dre_00
Fred officially official.
ja86
AG
Quasi official to official.

So why is the French coach such a moron playing an offense team defensive, ie playing pogba deep....
ja86
AG
and now for some sad news....

Marouane Fellaini has has accepted a revised two-year deal to stay at United. #mufc [Duncan Castles]

United Xtra (@utdxtra) June 27, 2018
Dre_00
Odd. I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean that he's going to play much, if any, role in anything other than early round cup ties. I'm assuming he decided that he'd rather make a little more sitting on the bench at United than starting at a club in Turkey for less.
ryan_m
I'm perfectly content with having felaini continue to rescue points for us. But if re-signing him means we'll have a bigger hill to climb to sign Milinkovic-Savic, I would be pretty angry
J-Turn
I'm a little confused why United isn't interested in CR7? For what they're selling him for, its a bargain for his talent. Yes he's a bit old, but still top 2 players in the world!

And why would he go to Juventus of all places...
Skitch05
AG
It's more likely that CR7 isn't interested in a return to the Premier League. He is probably dictating where he wants to go, because there isn't a team in the top 6 of the PL table that wouldn't pay 100M for him, outside of Spurs maybe.

He probably wants a new league at this point in his career, and you aren't going to find a better situation to guarantee trophies than Juve or Bayern under those criteria.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.