Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,911 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OregonAggie said:

So if Chelsea end up higher than Tottenham in epl and Arsenal win Europa...Tottenham goes to Europa next year?

No. Top 4 makes it the CL no matter what.
wangus12
AG
chjoak said:

OregonAggie said:

So if Chelsea end up higher than Tottenham in epl and Arsenal win Europa...Tottenham goes to Europa next year?

No. Top 4 makes it the CL no matter what.

Yeah the only way the 4th team got bumped is if the CL and EL winners were 5th and 6th
OregonAggie
AG
Cool thanks for clarifying.

All I know is that I want the Gunners to win.

Good luck boys and I y'all whip their asses.
byfLuger41
AG
Crazy it's an all English final in both UEFA leagues.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
Jason_Ag98
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

FA Cup, too!

(stolen from reddit)
wangus12
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

FA Cup, too!

(stolen from reddit)
**** all the traveling then. Might as well have all 3 matches at Wembley. Triple-Header
TXAggie2011
AG
Arsenal's website is not holding back criticizing UEFA putting the final in Baku and giving supporters very few tickets...

https://www.arsenal.com/news/europa-league-final-supporter-info
wangus12
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Arsenal's website is not holding back criticizing UEFA putting the final in Baku and giving supporters very few tickets...

https://www.arsenal.com/news/europa-league-final-supporter-info
As they should. 6k tickets allocated per team in a 69k seat stadium is absurd
chjoak
AG
Seeing stories this morning that...

- AC Milan has initiated contact with Mustafi over a summer move.
- We have initiated contact with Real DM Marcos Llorente and he is very interested in a EPL move
wangus12
AG
Seems like a lot of people don't think Mkhi is going to make the trip to Baku due to Azerbaijan being very hostile to Armenians. I think he has the support of the club and UEFA, but it will ultimately be his decision to go or not from a safety point of view. I can't see him sitting this out because of how important this game is for the club, but his safety comes first. It is totally unacceptable that UEFA has allowed the final to be in a country that won't let certain nationalities in.

chjoak
AG
FIFA Disciplinary Committee has banned Mino Raiola from involvement in ANY transfer for any league in the world.
gougler08
AG
Is Azerbaijan even in Europe or was this just a corrupt money grab?
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure its as far east in Europe as you can go outside of Russia. And this is definitely a money grab to have the match there. The stadium is the same size as the one hosting the CL final, but Liverpool/spuds got 17k tickets each while Chelsea/Arsenal are left with 6k each. Only people going to this match are businessmen.
wangus12
AG
Pretty dirty by Leno. Lucky the linesman didn't see it because thats a penalty
OneBlitzer
AG
Auba goal! Yawn.
wangus12
AG
AUBA!!
gougler08
AG
So not being able to get a result at home against Palace and Brighton will be the difference in a top 4 finish (as we thought it would)
wangus12
AG
What a goal
OneBlitzer
AG
Auba gets another. He has been highlight of the season.
OneBlitzer
AG
2-1. Never easy on the road in the Premier League for Arsenal.
chjoak
AG
Read earlier that we are planning to offer Auba & Laca new contracts to stave off interest from other clubs this summer. Really hope that is true. If we can fix our defensive issues this club could be lethal.
wangus12
AG
Eddie grabs a 3rd!

Not happy with how the season ended in the league, but glad we finished with a win. Auba is tied for the Golden Boot. Train hard and lets grab the Europa league trophy
wangus12
AG
Saw that as well. Just don't financially handicap ourselves with ridiculously high wage bills.
chjoak
AG
Agree
chjoak
AG
Last week or so I have been trying to think through how I would approach the offseason and how we could better this squad for a run next season assuming minimal cash available. I started by wrestling with the idea of base formation as a means of determining how each group needed to be strengthened. I have no doubt in my mind that Emery wants to get back to his 4-2-3-1 roots. However, based on our best performances this season, I think we really need to stick with a 2 ST setup as our base with the option of going single ST based on situation. And based on the current roster makeup (keeping the budget in mind) I think we should stick with a 3 man back line for 1 more season and begin the 4 man back transition next summer as Kos/Sokratis move on. So I would stick with 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 option this season with a plan to transition to 4-2-3-1 / 4-2-2-2 next offseason.

GK
Leno is the starter.
Cech retiring.
Ospina likely headed to Napoli. If not he will be sold somewhere else.
Need a #2. Martinez has done well at Reading. I'd be inclined to give him a shot at #2 and maybe find a cheap young option to push him.
Find someone to push Leno next summer.

CB
Sokratis is probably our most solid defensive CB. He has some flaws but should be retained.
Kos is our best defensive leader and a tireless worker. Assuming he wants to stay he should retained with the intent of him being a backup before Jan.
Holding started the season really well. He should start the season as the #4 with the hope that he rebounds and takes Kos's spot in the starting lineup.
Nacho is getting older. I've seen reports that he is a FA and others that we kicked in an option to give us 1 more year. Either way I think he is gone.
Mustafi has his moments and does some things well but really shouldn't be making so many mistakes at this point in his career. Sell him for whatever you can get for him.
Mavropanos didn't get nearly enough playing time this season. Unless the coaches think he will push into a starting role next season I'd be inclined to loan him to a German or Championship squad where he has a good chance to play.
Chambers is a wild card. He is still fairly young. His only effective position in the backline is as a RCB in a 3 man setup. He also showed capable of playing a DM position on loan this season. I'm a little torn what to do with him. If a big enough offer came in I might be inclined to sell but I am kind of partial to the idea of giving him a season as a RCB/DM super sub and see if he can earn a roster spot moving forward.
With Nacho & Mustafi out you need a minimum of 1 CB. If you loan Mavro you need a 2nd.
For #1, I'd go with a starting caliber CB. I'd be fine with a vet (28-32) if he represents an upgrade and has some miles left on him. Thinking someone like Umtiti (likely pipe dream), Alderweireld, Gimenez, Boateng, Felipe (Porto) or Savic. Possibly Maguire, Keane, Glik, Bailly, Ake, Orban or Mandi.
For #2, I'd look for someone young and inexpensive with potential.

WB
Think you are mostly set with Kola, Bellerin & AMN.
Need a LWB that can atleast push Kola if not immediately take the starting job.
Wouldn't hurt to add a cheap RWB so AMN can have the flexibility to play other areas as well.

CM
Torreira is a given.
Duezy as well.
ElNeny barely played and should be sold
See Chambers note above. Think it could be worth keeping him around in ElNeny's spot to see if he can contribute.
Xhaka can be magic moving the ball forward but his defensive lapses and lack of pace are a huge part of our defensive issue. I'd be ok keeping him as a backup. Otherwise I'd sell to the highest bidder. Seen rumor that Inter is interested.
We are linked to Rabiot, Nkunku & Llorente. I'd honestly like to grab 2 of them if we can. All would bring something to our CM spot that is currently lacking.

CAM
Really don't think Ozil is going anywhere. We are stuck with his salary.
Think you need to start grooming someone to take his spot. Would love Fornals but I'm not sure there money is gonna be there with the other spots that need filled. Best bet is probably Iwobi or another W/AM type that can play multiple positions.

W
Iwobi should stay. If we have the money for a W overhaul I might be inclined to loan him out for increased games but as it is we need him to grow while he plays for us. Would be inclined to try him at AM when we are in the 3-4-1-2 base.
Miki is slipping and is not really a true W. Think he needs to be sold.
Nelson & Smith-Rowe return. Leipzig want to keep Smith-Rowe and I think we should allow it. Nelson should be given playing time on the wing when we go 3-4-3.
With a base 3-4-1-2 I don't think you need wings a ton but I think would still need to add someone with speed for situational play. My inclination would be to add someone that can play W in a 3-4-3 and ST in a 3-4-1-2 so as to improve our ST rotation as well. I'm thinking Zaha, Thauvin, Rodrigo, Lozano, Neres, Pepe (likely too pricey), Bergwijn, Correa, Rebic, Chiesa or Pavon

ST
PAE & Laca rumored to be extended.
Nketiah did well when he got to play but really needs a loan
Could solve some ST depth with my W suggestion above but it may also not hurt to find another inexpensive option.

Recap
Starting - CB, CM
Likely starting - LWB
Depth - W, ST, CB
texagbeliever
I thought I read Emery's preferred formation is 4-3-3. In that case I think Arsenal need both a right and left fullback/wing back. Kola is out of place on a back 4 and AMN is not a wing back or a full back.

I want a new cb that is of the macquire/kompany mold. We get bossed by physical forwards with sokratis (who you can count to miss 10 games). Our cdms disappointed me this year. Xhaka really needs a partner and torreia/guendozi werent world class options either. Too many attacks went through our middle.
chjoak
AG
texagbeliever said:

I thought I read Emery's preferred formation is 4-3-3. In that case I think Arsenal need both a right and left fullback/wing back. Kola is out of place on a back 4 and AMN is not a wing back or a full back.

I want a new cb that is of the macquire/kompany mold. We get bossed by physical forwards with sokratis (who you can count to miss 10 games). Our cdms disappointed me this year. Xhaka really needs a partner and torreia/guendozi werent world class options either. Too many attacks went through our middle.
Emery's preferred is a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 hybrid. Regardless how you look at it he likes to keep 2 CM as the CM/DM/HM base.

Agree on the LB/RB situation. That's why I suggested we stick with the 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 for now. That would require us to get 1 WB (ideally that can play LB & LWB) vs having to get both a LB & RB. Also with Kola's defensive issues, if you go 4 man back line you may be stuck getting 2 LB unless you opt to keep Nacho around for another season.

Agree on the CB. What do you think about Kostas Manolas? He is rumored to have a 35m euro release clause if Roma fails to qualify for CL. He likely doesn't agree to join if we don't qualify either but if win our last game that could be a good buy.

I think both Xhaka & Torreira have their pluses as starters but I do not think their compliment each other. Given, age, skillsets, etc... I'd rather find a compliment for Torreira and move forward with him as the starter. You snag someone like Marcus Llorente or Rabiot to pair with Torreira and you have a much stronger defensive MF to go along with some solid passing. That pairing may also make Ozil more effective when we aren't worrying about his defensive contributions.
texagbeliever
I honestly havent seen that cb play. Can he not miss 15 games a year, if so I'd say sign him up.

I get how 2 cdms can free up ozil more but i think Arsenal need 11 players who put in a defensive effort especially if we try to press here and there. Another words if we can, we should seriously consider unloading ozil. I get that may not be feasible with his wages. Maybe an Italian club will come calling.
chjoak
AG
Agree with you. Would love to offload Ozil but he and his agent have openly stated that he has zero desire to leave. I've heard that he REEEAAALLLY likes London and I'm sure he likes his wages as well. Story came out a week or so ago that PSG tried to sign him in Jan but Ozil rejected the advancements so they were either offering too low of wages or it is true that he is happy in London and content with his role.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Agree with your post. To me the biggest issue is CB by far. We scored more than all but the top 2 teams, but allowed many more than the top 6. If Deuzy can take another step forward and Torreira has the form he did in the middle third of the season, and we can add some talent, central midfield could be pretty good. Need a 3rd ST with some quality assuming Welbeck is out, especially if we play 2 STs often like we did this year. Which makes sense to me because they are complimentary and represents the strength of the team. I'm not sure if Nketiah or Willock are ready for that role. Thoughts?
TXAggie2011
AG
I think we ended up with a nice goal total but had a bunch of games/periods where the offense was simply inept and unable to create chances.

Ramsey and Ozil were the only two guys in the squad with any real ability to consistently link the field and create anything on the offensive end.

Ramsey is gone and while I'm not saying Ozil is the answer, Emery's system is never going to work without allowing some technically skilled, creative guys who can possess and move the ball from 20 yard box to 20 yard box to be on the field.
AggieRob93
AG
Arsenal had the third highest GF tally at 73.

Arsenal was 9th out of 20 teams with GA count of 51. The top 4 each had less than 40 GA. The other teams allowing fewer goals were Wolverhampton, Everton, Leicester, and Newcastle.

This team needs midfield and backline players. Like was said above, need a midfielder who can link back to front and help control the midfield, and CB's and LB's.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Yep I agree, I just put first and foremost priority on the back line. Huge room for improvement. We need to add in midfield too but at least we have some good young players there.
chjoak
AG
PJYoung
AG
40m?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.