Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,923 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
agdoc2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be absolutely floored if we spend 100 million this summer. I'd love to be wrong, but 175 is a pipe dream.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Supposedly we will have between 45-100m + transfer revenue to spend depending on EL vs CL for next season. We are losing 4 players to retirement/FA and will likely sell 4-8 more. No matter what, we will need a LB, RB, CB & AM/W. Depending on the number sold we could need another 2-3 just for depth. While I understand your sentiment, if those numbers are remotely true, it is entirely possible we could spend 175m gross.
gougler08
AG
Too bad we couldn't keep Gnabry
chjoak
AG
Hopefully Nelson can be our next Gnabry (and we won't screw it up this time)
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

Supposedly we will have between 45-100m + transfer revenue to spend depending on EL vs CL for next season. We are losing 4 players to retirement/FA and will likely sell 4-8 more. No matter what, we will need a LB, RB, CB & AM/W. Depending on the number sold we could need another 2-3 just for depth. While I understand your sentiment, if those numbers are remotely true, it is entirely possible we could spend 175m gross.
I wholeheartedly agree that we NEED to spend 175 million plus this summer, but we are bad sellers. Every other club makes a fortune on bang on average players and we lose our top talent for free. The Ozil contract is going to hurt us. If we manage to get rid of him, we may end up paying a portion of his wages or foregoing a transfer fee as a make good. No one else is going to pay that guy over 300k a week. Nobody is going to pay 200k a week for Miki and we may be in a similar situation there.

My guess (and it's only that) is that there are a number of "internal solutions" to replace the numerous gaping holes in the lineup and that the signings we do make are in the 10-20 million per region. In May, we should all make a guess at what our net spend for the summer is going to be and see who gets it right.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
You may very well be right. Honestly I do think we do some internal filling of holes (Nelson @ AM/W). Just hope we are willing/able to spend more than 10-20 on positions where we need a starter (CB & LB). And we actually spend the money we make off sales rather than opting to invest it elsewhere.

I accounted for the reduced Ozil price in my numbers. There are also rumors that the 350k/wk that we agreed is with incentives and the figure may be closer to 250k/wk if he doesn't meet certain metrics. May be part of the motivation of leaving him on the bench and may make his salary more palatable for another team. Guess we will see.
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

I accounted for the reduced Ozil price in my numbers. There are also rumors that the 350k/wk that we agreed is with incentives and the figure may be closer to 250k/wk if he doesn't meet certain metrics. May be part of the motivation of leaving him on the bench and may make his salary more palatable for another team. Guess we will see.
I hadn't heard that, but if true, it would certainly explain why we are leaving a talented player on the bench when we have no creativity on offense. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you are right.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
chjoak said:

You may very well be right. Honestly I do think we do some internal filling of holes (Nelson @ AM/W). Just hope we are willing/able to spend more than 10-20 on positions where we need a starter (CB & LB). And we actually spend the money we make off sales rather than opting to invest it elsewhere.

I guess the real question I have is how much control Kroenke has over the pursestrings these days? Because I don't trust that ***hole at all...
wangus12
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

chjoak said:

I guess the real question I have is how much control Kroenke has over the pursestrings these days? Because I don't trust that ***hole at all...
Seeing as he owns 97% of the club, he pretty much controls everything. Don't expect him to invest anything into the club, which will probably simply be run using the funds it generate via its own accord.
wangus12
AG
Huge match today and its an early kickoff so it'll be an empty stadium since fans are gonna be fighting rush traffic/getting off of work. So much for home atmosphere today

BATE is probably going to sit back and park the bus, look to hit us on the counter if they go forward. Should be a fairly strong squad. We won't be able to play to Auba's strength since there won't be any room to run in behind them. He'll need to go full poacher mode. Hope we play 4 at the back so we can control the midfield and attack a little better. Plus Licht might be starting since AMN supposedly picked up something in training.

I'd like something like this, but I'm sure its wishful thinking.

Cech
AMN - Papa - Kos - Nacho
Torreria - Xhaka - Ramsey
Iwobi - Ozil
Auba
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Oh, I definitely knew he wasn't going to put anything in to the club, I'm just questioning whether or not the money we get for selling players actually stays at Arsenal...
PJYoung
AG
gougler08
AG
Lichtsteiner
wangus12
AG
Would rather have Jenko. He's basically the greatest RB England ever had.

It is nice to finally line up in an attacking formation for once.

wangus12
AG
Well that works
chjoak
AG
You have a stream?
wangus12
AG
Always.

http://bfst.to/play/soccer.php
wangus12
AG
If there is one thing I would change right now, it is our corner routines. Just put that sucker into the box
wangus12
AG
Hell yes
wangus12
AG
Like I said, play the corners into the box. Mustafi scores off the corner
chjoak
AG
Don't think we have guys that are all that great in the air right now. We miss Giroud in that aspect. If Emery is determined to stick with a single ST, I really think we need to find a young target forward. I'm a little partial to Sebastian Haller from Frankfurt.
wangus12
AG
Maybe not forwards, but Kosc and Mustafi score often enough off corners that its a better risk than the short corner.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Always.

http://bfst.to/play/soccer.php
Can't get that to work
wangus12
AG
Here is a list of different streams.

https://www.footybite.com/football/bate-borisov-vs-arsenal-preview/
chjoak
AG
Had trouble with most of those as well but one of the links mentioned that the game was on Galavision in USA so I am streaming from the Galavision website. May end up being in Spanish but atleast I can watch
PJYoung
AG
This one always works for me

http://youpit.live/2019/02/21/arsenal-vs-bate-borisov/
wangus12
AG
Kosc might have picked up a knock. Sokratis coming on
wangus12
AG
Sokratis. Off a direct corner again!
chjoak
AG
It really bothers me that Suarez has his full name on the back of his jersey. No issue if he put Denis OR Suarez but both bugs me. I don't know why. Kind of what to let him go back to Barca because of it.
wangus12
AG
I'm not convinced he is worth the 20m we'd have to pay for him.
chjoak
AG
What little bit I have seen of him, I agree. He looked ok today towards the end of the game but based solely on what I have seen of him in an Arsenal uni, I'd much rather spend that 20m on 2-3 Duezy-type signings and hope atleast 1 pans out.

Need to see him start in one of the up coming matches to get a better look at him.
chjoak
AG
Also really think we should abandon the 3-man back line moving forward. We seem to always look better when we go 4-man.
texagbeliever
texagbeliever said:

It will be okay. It was 1-0 to BATE away. Hopefully this doesnt affect your day in the slightest. Wait for the home match before you freak out.
Well I think i called this one. Good result for the Gunners!
TXAggie2011
AG
texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

It will be okay. It was 1-0 to BATE away. Hopefully this doesnt affect your day in the slightest. Wait for the home match before you freak out.
I get your point that we would likely come back and make it through with a comfortable win.

But on the topic raised before, its not like the 0-1 BATE match was the singular off-night where the 11 Arsenal players on the field looked like they didn't know what they were expected to be doing.

The mood swings of this club are pretty wild and its not like today's match solves that or make the concerns and frustration invalid or an overreaction.
texagbeliever
TXAggie2011 said:

texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

I get your point that we would likely come back and make it through with a comfortable win.

But on the topic raised before, its not like the 0-1 BATE match was the singular off-night where the 11 Arsenal players on the field looked like they didn't know what they were expected to be doing.

The mood swings of this club are pretty wild and its not like today's match solves that or make the concerns and frustration invalid or an overreaction.
I can certainly be guilty of those mood swings as well. Realistically this club was going to battle for top 4 (2 or 3 of Tottenham, chelsea and Man U), we were going to progress to quaters or semis of Europa league and maybe we would show life in some big games. We had back line issues, ozil was still ozil and Guenduzzi was still a nobody. I'd say we are right on track this season and yes if you snapshot after a bad loss or two it will look like we are about to fall of a cliff but things balance out.

I'm happy with where we are at, i wish we were way better and i'm hopeful we get the needed backline reinforcements.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.