Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

115,691 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With no match this weekend, I'd like to see us kill of the tie today and play some youngsters next week at home
wangus12
AG
Forgot that it was an early match today

PJYoung
AG
Underway
wangus12
AG
Man pitches outside of the top couple leagues are so so bad
wangus12
AG
Last years scrubs destroyed this team and basically our current starters are losing
PJYoung
AG
Welp
wangus12
AG
Emery better start figuring his **** out because we look absolutely toothless in attack. There is zero creativity going forward. If it isn't a cut back, our goals seem to just come from luck. I realize we are trying to force Ozil out, but I'd rather have him trying to unlock a defense than Iwobi.
gougler08
AG
So much for that plan of being able to play the young guns on the return leg
PJYoung
AG
Lacazette scores an offside goal. Doesn't count.
gougler08
AG
Alex Hleb still plays?
wangus12
AG
What is the point of getting a corner when we take it short every single *********time
wangus12
AG
Guy was dragging Lacazette all over the place. That sucks
PJYoung
AG
Easily my least favorite Arsenal player.

Dude has no emotional control - pouts all over when he doesn't get the ball.
wangus12
AG
Ref should have blown about 5 seconds early and it looks like he was using both arms to break out of the guys grasp.

PJYoung
AG
wangus12 said:

Ref should have blown about 5 seconds early and it looks like he was using both arms to break out of the guys grasp.

He threw the arm at his face out of frustration but yeah, should've been called before it got that far.
wangus12
AG
Agreed. Its still a red card regardless, but the ref should have stopped the play before hand. Not to mention that guy should have gotten a yellow as well
agdoc2001
AG
I can't be certain, but I'm starting to suspect that we're a bit **it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Completely static while we are down 1-nil. No movement, no sense of urgency.
wangus12
AG
Would have rather kept Wenger for another year
AggieRob93
AG
wangus12 said:

Would have rather kept Wenger for another year

Nah, that's just frustration talking. We all know the crummy defense is the elephant in the room, and it was an issue once George Graham's players had all moved on from Arsenal. As much as Arsene did on the front side of his time at the club, the back side of his time was labored and too long, even with the FA Cup titles.

Emery, while paid well to do what he is expected to do, has to deal with the feck up created due to Wenger's overstay. On top of that, we all know Kroenke is focused on the Rams while Arsenal is merely a plaything, which makes a needed overhaul and the funds required a seeming impossibility.

I do think this club may slide down the table over time if Kroenke doesn't step up, irregardless of the manager.
wangus12
AG
I definitely agree with it was Arsene's time to move on, but at least his side had some creativity going forward. Last year our b-team crushed BATE 10-2 over two matches. Today, we may have had the ball 75%, but we were thoroughly outplayed across the pitch. BATE hasn't played a competitive match since December and their league doesn't start till March. We lost to a team playing their preseason games. Our entire methodology of attack now is pass it to Kolasinac and hope he can cut it back for a tap in. There is no other movement going forward. The defense was already bad before the season, but the offense was decent. Now they are both terrible. You (as in the whole management team) marginalize the player who we were supposed to build the team around after he signed the new contract and a team that is bad defensively with Mesut zil is also still bad defensively without Mesut zil. And they're also worse offensively. Might as well play him because you are going to find very few suitors willing to pay his fees and I doubt at 31 he is gonna want to give up his paycheck. At the very least have his ass on the bench.

It also is going to affect other players. Take Lacazette today. Dude was so frustrated today he elbowed someone in the face and got sent off. It was stupid, but he had almost no service the entire match. Hell, he had to come all the way into the back right wing to collect that ball that led to the incident. A striker shouldn't even be there. If the strikers aren't getting service they aren't going to be happy and they can pack up and leave to another club that will create for them.

I'm definitely not saying we should fire Emery because it is still early, but he needs to start showing us something moving forward. Getting knocked out in the round of 32 isn't it. We aren't going to get the investment we want from ownership, so you have to build from youth and play smart, tactical football. So far, he hasn't shown that.

Granted, I'm sure we'll smash BATE 4-nil at the Emirates, but I have some grave concerns about how Emery is setting up the team and running things tactically.

At least Arsenal made sure all the fans got ****ed on Valentine's Day.

texagbeliever
It will be okay. It was 1-0 to BATE away. Hopefully this doesnt affect your day in the slightest. Wait for the home match before you freak out.
wangus12
AG
Seeing rumors PSG is gonna make a run at Guendouzi this summer.
chjoak
AG
I'd be surprised if we let him go so early and if Duezy was ready to head to PSG where he would be likely to get fewer minutes.

I've also read that we are looking at Nick Pope to replace Cech.
chjoak
AG
Napoli confirmed they will pickup the buy option on Ospina.

Duezy responded to PSG rumors stating that he was pursued by them last summer and he chose Arsenal instead. Said he is happy with his decision.

Rumors that Barca has agreed a 170k/wk precontract with Rabiot.

In the last week we have been linked with a summer move for...

CB Matthijs de Ligt
RW Suso
ST Che Adams
CB Ben Godfrey
GK Nick Pope
LB Grimaldo
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Rumors that Barca has agreed a 170k/wk precontract with Rabiot.
Thank you jesus.
chjoak
AG
Their MF is stacked. Honestly not sure I understand why they would sign him unless they are fixing to ship out some vets.
chjoak
AG
Read a couple of interesting articles this morning...

Article #1 - Interview with Arsene where he was asked about Ozil's lack of PT. Arsene blamed Ozil. Says that since signing his new contract that Mesut as become "comfortable" and lacks the intensity he showed previously. Honestly I can see that. He got a number of games early in the season and only had 1-2 where he really showed up and played well. The rest have been very meh. There could be some truth to the board telling Emery to not play him in order to push him out but I think the instruction could be based on his lack of quality performance (bang for the buck so to speak).

Article #2 - may have been a complete opinion piece, not sure. However it came from what I think to be a reputable source. Article was claiming that Emery wants/plans to overhaul the roster this summer and that there are only 6 players on the roster that are technically safe. Author expects more than that to be retained but claimed that the only ones that were guaranteed not to move are Leno, Sokratis, Holding, Bellerin, Torreira & PAE.

GK - Leno is the starter. Cech retiring, Ospina gone, Martinez likely back as #2 but could be moved. Need to add another option that can atleast compete for #2.

CB - Sokratis & Holding safe. Kos likely moved due to age. Mustafi will be sold. Need atleast 1 starting quality and likely another young guy to compete.

LB - Nacho likely sold to a team in Spain due to age. Kola likely back but he could be moved for the right price. Need someone to push Kola if not an outright starter over him.

RB - Bellerin safe. Licht a FA. Need a legit backup.

CM/DM - Torreira staying. Duezy likely staying but with PSG showing interest we may put a high tag (60m GBP suggested) on him and see what happens. ElNeny will be sold. Chambers likely will as well considering his age, current skill and the likelihood of getting a decent price (20m GBP) due to his HG status. Xhaka will likely be retained but if Duezy stays it is possible that Xhaka is moved for the right price. Wouldn't hurt to add a player or 2 but they will likely be bargain buys.

AM/W - No one is safe. In all likelihood, Iwobi & Miki are staying but will likely be in a backup role if Emery gets the guys he wants on the wing. AMN is likely retained do to his versatility. Suarez could be retained but he needs to start showing more to justify the fee. Ozil will be sold if they can move him and it is suggested that we would take a cut rate offer (25m GBP) just to send him out. Need 1-2 starter quality and 2-3 total.

ST - PAE is safe. Getting a little old but his overall performance and speed hasn't dropped off and he is in the running for Golden Boot this season. Laca could be moved as he is in his prime and Emery really doesn't like playing 2 ST so it is assumed that we could use him to get more cash for the window. Especially if Laca is moved, we need 1-2 young guys that can backup and eventually replace PAE.
wangus12
AG
It'll be curious to see how much of an overhaul we'll be able to accomplish if that is the plan. Our business office has a pretty terrible history of being efficient. We aren't going to get very much money for the players we want to sell and we are we really going to be able spend money to replace them with better players. A top quality CB is gonna cost 60-80m minimum these days. Couple that with wanting to find quality starting wingers and another LB and the bill gets ridiculously high. Doubt we get half of what we probably need. We really need a young player like Nketiah, Nelson, Medley or ESR to emerge as a starter next year to help with replacing the current team. We haven't really had a youth product breakthrough since Bellerin in 2014.
chjoak
AG
I have a feeling we will cash out, buy 2-3 legit starters and fill most of the needs with bargain buys hoping we find 2-3 Duezy's
OregonAggie
AG
This is definitely a roster that needs to be overhauled. I'd sell Lacazette for sure because you could get some damn good money and turn it into some guys that fit Emery's scheme.

I think Emery is going to be a great coach for you guys if he can get the right players in. I think you guys will be big players this summer and it'll make next year damn exciting for y'all and an outsider like me.
chjoak
AG
My biggest concern is that we sell off a bunch of guys and go after guys like Banega & NZonzi because they get Emery's system. While that may be a quick fix for next season it would be a horrible long term approach and would have us rebuilding/reloading again in 2 years.
wangus12
AG
I will be furious if we do that and bring in a bunch of old Sevilla players who are past their prime. Sokratis seems to be working out as a 30+, but that isn't supposed to be our normal buy.

Also my only concern with selling Lacazette (He'd certainly fetch the most money) is we don't have a striker who can play with his back to the goal. Auba isn't that guy and his speed is going to go eventually.
chjoak
AG
Agreed. I'd prefer to keep Laca and continue to build around a 2 ST setup. I think we have looked best with both Laca & PAE on the field together. They compliment each other and both are willing to work back and be the defacto Emery #10 when we are on defense. If you can add some young ST that are willing to the same, you can run a 4-2-2-2 and it would effectively be the same as Emery's preferred 4-2-3-1 except your #10 would be higher up the pitch on offense.
chjoak
AG
Assuming you sell...

Ospina, Mustafi, Kos, Nacho, ElNeny, Chambers, Ozil

You probably get 100-120m in sales. Add the 45m rumored budget plus 50-60m if we get CL. Subtract 20m for Suarez. Your looking at 125-175m depending on CL.

Start with a lineup of...

----------- PAE ---- Laca ---------------
-- Iwobi ---------------------- Suarez --
--------- Xhaka ---- Torreira -----------
Kola -- Holding - Sokratis --Bellerin
----------------- Leno ---------------------

Backups
GK - Martinez
DF - Mavropanos
CM - Duezy, AMN
AM - Miki, Nelson, ESR
ST - Nketiah

Not a horrible starting lineup but could use some improvement and the depth is crap. If we miss CL, you can damn near guarantee that we fill the needed spots with a significant number of bargain buys. The big boys will be too expensive and won't be interested in missing out on CL.

Needs
GK - 1, someone to push Martinez. will worry about pushing Leno next summer
LB - 1, need someone to either start or fight for starting minutes. Guessing we go with a cheapish option
CB - 2, one starter and one young depth. Ideally 2 of Holding and the 2 new guys are the starters by season's end.
RB - 1, need a backup
CM - 1, need depth. vet wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd look for someone to compete with Xhaka. Maybe a legit DM that could create a better rotation of the proper skill sets.
AM - 1-2, think you need 1 starter and another to provide depth. Would be a bad idea if the 2nd can also play ST
ST - 1-2, Nketiah needs a loan. think you go with 1 pure ST and then use Nelson and a new W/ST to rotate.

That's 8-10 additions assuming the young guys can contribute. That's alot even on a 175m budget. Think you see quite a few for under 10m.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.