Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,931 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Freeing up his wage would be infinitely better than the status quo.
TXAggie2011
AG
If Ozil is not going to play then you sell, but it's increasingly difficult (and it was questionable to begin with) to understand the "not playing" premise given how often the team sleep walks when Ozil is not on the field.
agdoc2001
AG
Petr Cech to retire this summer. So now we need to sign a new keeper for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Bringing in another GK will probably be decently low on the list. We have massive holes elsewhere that need fixing first (not that we'll actually fix those either). Won't be surprised if they simply just use Martinez as the new backup.
chjoak
AG
We also could have Ospina coming back from loan. I'd prefer to get a young keeper that could challenge Leno but I could see us filling other holes now and worrying about GK the following summer.
wangus12
AG
Fun new rumor that we may be losing Sven Mislintat to Bayern.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

According to club sources, Sanllehi, the former director of football at Barcelona, favoured a recruitment policy based on his extensive network of contacts throughout Europe, while Mislintat had been tasked by Gazidis to follow the kind of analytical and stats-based approach that saw 19-year-old midfielder Matteo Guendouzi join from French second-division club Lorient and 22-year-old Uruguay international Lucas Torreira arrive from Sampdoria.
Apparently Gazidis has left a power vacuum at the club and Sanllehi is really making his move. The management is about to set us back even further. Mislintat is considered one of the best scouts out there in finding young talent. We know that we aren't going to be spending big bucks anytime soon and are probably going to have to depend on finding gems.
chjoak
AG
Liked the idea of Mislintat but what has he really done for us?

Since he has been here we have acquired PEA, Miki, Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Leno, Mavropanos, Guenduozi & Torreira.

Guendouzi said himself Emery was the reason he came to Arsenal, and Emery supposedly tried to bring him to PSG.

Torreira looks to be an excellent signing but he wasn't exactly an unknown to any scout worth anything. He led Serie A in tackles (or something like that) and was linked with Everton last year.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/...dable-release-clause-for-everton-linked-samp/

That leaves PEA, Miki, Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Leno and Mavropanos. All established pros except Mav, none that have done more than expected/paid for as of yet and most are linked to Sven through Dortmund.
agdoc2001
AG
I think we would have to have given him more than one transfer window to decide what he's done for us.

BM want him, manu want him, that's all you need to know.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
My point is that he is supposed to be a super bad-ass talent evaluator but half of his signings are Dortmund or Bundesliga starters. The rest are a 34yo FA, a guy that Emery suggested and a couple "Sven Specials". My big question is why did we hit Germany/Dortmund so hard? Why not dip into France, Spain, Italy**, etc...? Why did he reach far and wide for Dortmund but basically reached to his old team for us?

** Yes I realize he technically dipped into Italy a bit
chjoak
AG
Supposedly the rift is related to the players people want to sign. Emery & Sanllehi seem to be on the same page (both very interested in getting Denis Suarez done) and Mislintat has others he would prefer to focus on. Seems like a power struggle between Sven & Raul and Emery seems to be favoring Raul.
chjoak
AG
Also, new rumors of us taking over Bayern's loan of James Rodriguez until the summer. Not sure if we would try to renegotiate the buy option.
wangus12
AG
I heard Ozil might be part of that deal? You read that?
chjoak
AG
No. I heard we offered Ozil to Juventus & Inter and that Atletico made us a low ball offer for him.

Wouldn't mind an Atletico deal especially if we can get them to trade Thomas Partey to us.
TXAggie2011
AG
chjoak said:

My point is that he is supposed to be a super bad-ass talent evaluator but half of his signings are Dortmund or Bundesliga starters. The rest are a 34yo FA, a guy that Emery suggested and a couple "Sven Specials". My big question is why did we hit Germany/Dortmund so hard? Why not dip into France, Spain, Italy**, etc...? Why did he reach far and wide for Dortmund but basically reached to his old team for us?

** Yes I realize he technically dipped into Italy a bit
He's been with Arsenal roughly for a year, there was a change of manager in the middle of that, structural and organizational changes, and lots of questions about the willingness of the owner to allow Arsenal the freedom to sign who they really want to sign.

And I think its a bit natural that a guy like Aubameyang might be one of the early signings while Mslintat was with the club as Mslintat obviously thinks highly of the guy and they've known each other and had an existing relationship. I'm quite happy Aubameyang plays for Arsenal.
chjoak
AG
I get that he was 1st year but it's not like he is new to the job. He was serving in a similar capacity at Dortmund. Did he not have a list of guys he was scouting for them? Why not dip into that list instead?

Agree PAE has been good. The point is that we could/should have been reaching to other areas to fill positions rather than focus on primarily Dortmund or former Dortmund players. We specifically signed PAE, Miki & Sokratis. Leno is small extension of that due to familiarity. Then we we're rumored to be going after Dembele and Wiegl. So that is 5 guys that were at his former team during his time there and 1 other that he saw regularly due to league affiliation.
wangus12
AG
I think my biggest concern isn't so much that we are losing him as it is a concern on how the management of the club has gone since Wenger left. The idea when he stepped down was that Gazidis, Sanllehi and Mislintat were going to be a triumvirate running the club with Emery just focusing on the coaching of the team. We are now down to 1 of those 3 and its only be 6 months. I would have liked to see what Mislintat could find for us.

I would say I'm not surprised he brought in Dortmund guys since he was the one that recruited them. Sokratis, PAE and Leno have been good signings. Miki wasn't so much a signing as it was trying to get something for Sanchez because he was definitely leaving for free otherwise. He also brought in Mavropanos who I think has a good chance to work his way into a starting role, especially with Holding out now.

The big worry I have is who we are trying to get. Banega is 30. Suarez is basically a Barcelona dropout who has barely played this year. There is basically no chance in hell we could afford Carrasco's wages since he is playing in China for nearly what Ozil makes.

We've been told there is basically no money for transfers this January. Who knows how much we will have in the summer, but it isn't gonna be enough to bring in great players in the positions we will need so going young is gonna be key here. Having one of the top scouts was supposed to help with that.
wangus12
AG
Fun Fact. I meeting with one of the Walton family today. Think I should say something to him about how his ******bag uncle needs to invest some damn money into the club
chjoak
AG
YES
chjoak
AG
Additional info I am reading on the Mislintat situation claims that...

A) he is upset that he doesn't have the amount of influence he desires in club transfer policy (Emery & Raul having too much say, ownership not giving him enough funds).
B) he hoped to be named Sporting Director after Gazidas left. Instead we are talking to Edu for that role which would add a layer of management above Sven.

Basically it sounds like ownership/management and Sven don't see eye to eye on his role. Since he was hired by Ivan, I'd bet that certain expectations were laid out and now that he is gone those expectations are not being met.
agdoc2001
AG
Because we're due a little good news

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/01/adidas-arsenal-19-20-away-kit.html?m=1
wangus12
AG
BRUISED BANANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OregonAggie
AG
Those are absolutely hideous
wangus12
AG
Dude that was the greatest kit of the 1990s
agdoc2001
AG
OregonAggie said:

Those are absolutely hideous

And I respect your right to be completely wrong.
OneBlitzer
AG
Lacazette! Nicely done! Top shelf!
texagbeliever
Waiting for Arsenal to show up but this team in red and white is playing some good football!!
OneBlitzer
AG
Koscielny! 2 nil Arsenal!
texagbeliever
Deft touch off the shoulder!
OneBlitzer
AG
Nice half. Hope the Gunners can maintain their intensity.
texagbeliever
Kolasinac needs to shoot those occasionally.

Not crazy about these subs
texagbeliever
Dang bellerin had been one of our best players.
OneBlitzer
AG
Crap! Bellerin possible knee injury.
gougler08
AG
OneBlitzer said:

Crap! Bellerin possible knee injury.

Finally back from injury and now probably out long term again
texagbeliever
That tackle should be a red. Just dirty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.