Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,959 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It didn't take Xhaka long to get a yellow.
OneBlitzer
AG
Lacazette subbing for Ramsey already paying dividends.
Smokedraw01
Beautiful pass and shot. That's why they win the league.
OneBlitzer
AG
Nice goal by Bernardo. Down 2 nil.
wangus12
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Beautiful pass and shot. That's why they win the league.
Yep. We can never seem to finish anything other than a ****ing tap in
wangus12
AG
Also Michael Oliver is a **** referee
byfLuger41
OneBlitzer
AG
Arsenal offense has disappointed more than the defense today.
Smokedraw01
There are moments of really good soccer...especially on the counter.
agdoc2001
AG
texagbeliever said:

Do yourself a favor and dont watch.

Sorry if my realistic expectations offended you.

I have followed Arsenal for a long time and have learned to keep my expectations in check. This has been a flawed side for many years. I am excited by what a detail oriented manager like Unai can do, but he hasn't had any time to realistically improve this side. With luck, we might be able to see some dividends in January. (If we can stay healthy). To magically think that this team which finished more than 30 points off citeh were going to suddenly be competitive with them 3 months later simply because there was a different picture on the front of the program is just silly.

I dont want to upset you further, but im not counting on A&M to win the SEC this year either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Ozil was just awful in the final third. Not sold on Guendouzi either.
agdoc2001
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Doozy is a kid - questionable decision to start him against a side like citeh. I thought he acquitted himself pretty well all things considered. Give him a chance.

Agree on Ozil. He may not be in our first 11 in 3 months.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AustinScubaAg
AG
agdoc2001 said:

texagbeliever said:

I have followed Arsenal for a long time and have learned to keep my expectations in check. This has been a flawed side for many years. I am excited by what a detail oriented manager like Unai can do, but he hasn't had any time to realistically improve this side. With luck, we might be able to see some dividends in January. (If we can stay healthy). To magically think that this team which finished more than 30 points off citeh were going to suddenly be competitive with them 3 months later simply because there was a different picture on the front of the program is just silly.

I dont want to upset you further, but im not counting on A&M to win the SEC this year either.
Game actually was slightly better than you predicted but not far off. Still lacking quality from Arsenal especially in the back. Both goals were defensive lapses. The second was a beautiful finish but he was totally left unmarked by Lichtsteiner.
AustinScubaAg
AG
agdoc2001 said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Doozy is a kid - questionable decision to start him against a side like citeh. I thought he acquitted himself pretty well all things considered. Give him a chance.

Agree on Ozil. He may not be in our first 11 in 3 months.
Doozy just looked out of his depth. Needs more experience.
OneBlitzer
AG
Ozil and Ramsey definitely need to step up their play. Need both to be difference makers on the pitch.
wangus12
AG
I think the biggest thing today was the lack of cohesiveness that was shown. Definitely still need time for the team to get used to playing together. Link up play was very poor going forward with a lot of misplaced passes to runs that weren't happening. There is still a ton of work to do with implementing a new system with new players.

As much as I hate agreeing with Gary Neville, he is right. Although Pep also had the financial back to get changes whereas Arsenal may not.

Its only one game and it was against what is arguably one of the Top 3 teams in the world right now. Gonna have to be patient with the rebuild
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

You've always been one of those "I'm miserable and proud of it" types.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think Guendouzi got better during the day as did Ozil, particularly when allowed more freedom to move within the 4-3-3.

City just has more talent, and they linked up at the right moments and Arsenal just didn't.

Certainly some periods where Arsenal controlled the game and you can see the opportunities will be there and this team will start to take advantage of them at some point.

All in all, disapppinting scoreline yet reasons to be hopeful and positive. Essentially I came away feeling the same as the announcers re: Arsenal.
texagbeliever
agdoc2001 said:

texagbeliever said:

I'm being serious. Believing so confidently we are going to lose 4-0 there is no rational reason to watch the game. You just want to be the fan who says oh we suck. See we stuck I'm a genius. Oh we won well we got lucky. It is just insufferable. Saying oh 2-0 defeat or 3-1. Okay that is an honest take. 4-0 is just being dramatic.

By being negative you actually live defeat twice. First when you resign yourself to defeat before lineups are announced and then again if we lose. It is just dumb.
texagbeliever
TXAggie2011 said:

I think Guendouzi got better during the day as did Ozil, particularly when allowed more freedom to move within the 4-3-3.

City just has more talent, and they linked up at the right moments and Arsenal just didn't.

Certainly some periods where Arsenal controlled the game and you can see the opportunities will be there and this team will start to take advantage of them at some point.

All in all, disapppinting scoreline yet reasons to be hopeful and positive. Essentially I came away feeling the same as the announcers re: Arsenal.

Agree with this. At the end of the day Ramsey and Ozil can't be on the field together. Just not enough defense. Further in a game against a top class team, you cant play a midfielder like ramsey who isn't great at link up play, doesn't add a good defensive effort, cant run channels, can't beat someone off the dribble and can't calm the pace of the game down. All he does is make good final third overlapping runs.
texagbeliever
Also I think Leno should start. That was a pretty meh performance from Cech.
agdoc2001
AG
texagbeliever said:

agdoc2001 said:

texagbeliever said:

I'm being serious. Believing so confidently we are going to lose 4-0 there is no rational reason to watch the game. You just want to be the fan who says oh we suck. See we stuck I'm a genius. Oh we won well we got lucky. It is just insufferable. Saying oh 2-0 defeat or 3-1. Okay that is an honest take. 4-0 is just being dramatic.

By being negative you actually live defeat twice. First when you resign yourself to defeat before lineups are announced and then again if we lose. It is just dumb.

Or it was an honest guess based on relative skill of both teams at this moment and, as it turns out, basically spot on. I watch every minute of every Arsenal game, win or lose. Thanks for the psychoanalysis though, keep it coming:I also have frequent dreams of falling and I think we draw Chelsea
texagbeliever
Here is to a result vs chelsea!
wangus12
AG
Joel Campbell was omitted from the the Premier League squad so either he is going out on loan, get sold or we are going to release him.
byfLuger41
AG
hi
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
gougler08
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

hi
He lives!
wangus12
AG
But Chelsea won't after the weekend!
TXAggie2011
AG
Per Arseblog, we covered the most distance on matchday 1.

Sure, running a long distance isn't always a good thing, but Emery seemed pleased with the work rate, and I guess you can't question that the squad worked hard during the match.

Big question is can they keep up the energy through a long season and avoid the lulls that just get you buried in the standings.

chjoak
AG
Ospina to Napoli. Loan with an option to buy.
Campbell to Frosinone on a permanent.
Bielik to Charlton on loan.
byfLuger41
AG
wangus12 said:

But Chelsea won't after the weekend!

I'm anxious to see how both sides play.

Cheers to a decent match.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
wangus12
AG
Ainsley Maitland-Niles is out with a broken leg for 6-8 weeks.

Carl Jenkinson is also hurt for 6-8 weeks

Kolasinac is out till Oct.

Monreal & Welbeck are both in full training. I thought Lichtsteiner did a very good job on the left.
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Monreal & Welbeck are both in full training. I thought Lichtsteiner did a very good job on the left.
Man, it's pretty early to already have all these injury issues. We normally wait til the holiday period
AustinScubaAg
AG
gougler08 said:

wangus12 said:

Man, it's pretty early to already have all these injury issues. We normally wait til the holiday period

Is it possible to have season not decimated by injuries. Seems like every year this happens.
TXAggie2011
AG
texagbeliever said:

Also I think Leno should start. That was a pretty meh performance from Cech.

Yeah, it's quite confusing to see a signing like Leno over on the bench when a Cech is struggling mightily trying not to score on the wrong goal playing Emery's play from the back style.
texagbeliever
Gameday!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.