Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,912 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdoc2001
AG
And now the BBC says its Unai Emery
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Yep...

chjoak
AG
I'm actually pretty good with that. Lot more skins on the wall. Outside of our general need for CBs the only player we lack to run his 4-3-3 the way he likes to run it is a true DM.
gougler08
AG
I'd rather have Emery than Arteta
agdoc2001
AG
His extensive Europa League experience should be beneficial for us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
RE the DM... I'd really like to make a run at Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid. He will be 25 when the season starts. Is a natural DM with the prototypical size/build. Atletico is currently using him as a DM/CM/RB/CB super sub. If we can get him at a decent price I think he would be a great buy as a potential starting DM that hopefully worst case becomes our super sub.
OneBlitzer
AG
Sad to see Santi leave. Arsenal has not been the same without him on the pitch.
chjoak
AG
Tactical info...

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/23/tactical-philosophy-unai-emery/

wangus12
AG
Something funny on Reddit. Emery's last year with Sevilla in 2016, they didn't win a single match away from home. Drew 9 and lost 10.

Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted to see something new and unknown in Arteta with hopes that he'd turn out like Pep.

Emery is kinda underwhelming.
chjoak
AG
Official Kit # Changes

Cech - 1
Bellerin - 2
Elneny - 4
Xhaka - 34
wangus12
AG
Looks like it definitely Emery. Its front page everywhere. Time to start watching old PSG and Sevilla film.
agdoc2001
AG
I preferred Arteta - at least he spoke English
wangus12
AG
Its officially official

wangus12
AG
Also, we just signed a shirt sleeve sponsorship and it makes the new kit even more cringeworthy

agdoc2001
AG
That's embarrassing. They misspelled Wakanda.
gougler08
chjoak
AG
How in the world is the Rwanda tourism bureau the best sleeve sponsor we could find?
wangus12
AG
Rumor is that its a huge sponsorship deal and I'll definitely take the money, but man it just looks so ridiculous. I can't wait for when we have collar sponsors as well.
chjoak
AG
I don't mind the idea of a sleeve sponsor but "Visit Rwanda"? That is just F'N horrible,
wangus12
AG
Watching his first press conference.

• Feels so weird not seeing Wenger in that seat.
  • His English is much better than I expected
  • Possession and Pressing during games
AirplaneAg09
AG
Another Emery tactics article

I'm cautiously optimistic about this appointment and was definitely a little gunshy about going the Arteta route with this current squad.

chjoak
AG
Based on the various info I have gleamed about his tactics, this is how I see things shaking out for our roster...

4-3-3 formation

----------- ST ------------
LW -------------------RW
---- DLP ------- CM ----
----------- DM ------------
LB --- CB --- CB --- RB
----------- GK -------------

or

----------- ST ------------
LW -------------------RW
----------- CM ------------
---- DLP ------- DM ----
LB --- CB --- CB --- RB
----------- GK -------------

ST - PAE, Laca, Welbeck
LW - Miki, PAE, Iwobi, Welbeck
RW - Ozil, Iwobi, Nelson, Welbeck
DLP - Xhaka, Wilshire, Iwobi
CM - Ramsey, AMN, Iwobi
DM - ElNeny
RB - Bellerin
LB - Nacho, Kola
CB - Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos
GK - Cech, Ospina

Thoughts

- ST is in decent shape. Personally I would like to keep Laca around for another season to see what he can accomplish in a new scheme. Really want Welbeck replaced with a younger option with better touch that can more effectively play W.
- W is in pretty good shape.
- In midfield he likes to play a sitter DM, a 6/8 hybrid (deep lying playmaker that occasionally ventures forward) and a 8/10 hybrid.
- I think DLP & CM are actually in good shape. Need to give those 2 spots a season to see if they can adjust to the new system. I think Xhaka (DLP) & Ramsey (8/10 hybrid) will be a good pairing for Emery as long as he can help correct some of their habits.
- DM needs another player badly. I think ElNeny has potential but we A) can't go with just 1 player and B) need a quality starter.
- CB is obviously an issue. I'd be willing to give Mustafi a chance next to a veteran CB with a track record for directing the back line. Not opposed to replacing him either. If we have 2 healthy vet starters, I think we will be ok with the 3 young-uns as backups.
- LB is in good shape for next season but we desperately need a backup RB to challenge Bellerin and provide depth fro EL & FA cup.
- We could stick with our current GK tandem if we had to but it would be really nice to upgrade Ospina and move Cech to the backup role.

Short version...
Needs - 1 DM, 1-2 CB, RB
Wants - GK, ST/W
OregonAggie
AG
It's going to be very interesting to watch the summer transfers and first part of next season. I heard the Grumpy Pundit guys on SiriusFC say this morning that Emery wants to play a high pressure game. They then laughed saying he probably needs 11new players!
wangus12
AG
Sounds like Lucas Perez may be sticking around the club and that Emery is pretty big on him.
chjoak
AG
I'm ok with that. Little older than I would like to see but he would be a quick/cheap fix to Welbeck soaking up minutes. Always thought he looked really good when Wenger actually let him play.

May sound weird but if you keep Lucas around, I wouldn't be opposed to selling Welbeck and giving Akpom one last try. Read a report a few weeks ago that he was actually doing very well when he finally got a loan to an offensive system more akin to what we were running at Arsenal and starting playing more LW.
wangus12
AG
May go after Benrd Leno for GK. Apparently wants a move from Leverkusen and has narrowed it down to Arsenal and Atletico Madrid. There isn't a way that he starts over Oblak so that could leave us.

We could also be getting PSG's goalkeeping coach who is supposed to be really good. Lord knows we need it after the multitude of silly mistakes from Cech and Ospina this year.
chjoak
AG
PSG's GK coach is Emery's right hand man. Followed him from Sevilla and possible Valencia as well.

Leno rumors have been around awhile. Hadn't heard about Atletico. Previously it had been us and Napoli. Agree with you. Don't see him going there unless Oblak leaves. Oblak has a 100m euro release clause. Highly doubtful he leaves.
wangus12
AG
Heard he's told Napoli no
wangus12
AG
Sounds like it is almost a done deal to bring Stephan Lichtsteiner in from Juventus on a free 1 year deal. Adds some depth to RB. Started 21 games for Juventus this year in the league. Played in 32 total. Adds a little bit of experience in the defense, but it is only short term solution
chjoak
AG
Yeah. Hearing he and Sokratis are just about done and the Turk seems to be pretty close as well. Hearing that we are trying to get most of our transfer business done by the WC.

New GK being mentioned... Sergio Rico from Sevilla. He was a young stud GK under Emery but has fallen off a bit since Emery left. He's now 24. If signed he would likely start off as backup to then see if the GK coach can get him back on track.
wangus12
AG
Also looks like we are bringing one of PSG's biggest recruits, Yacine Adli with us.
chjoak
AG
Reported that Adli has already signed a 3 yr deal with year 1 yr extension options. He is 17 so would be HG if he pans out.

Also seeing reports that Lichtsteiner has agreed to a contract and that Sokratis is done pending a medical.
chjoak
AG
News from the weekend...

GK - we are rumored to have expressed interest in Jesper Cillisen from Barca.
CB - Sokratis rumored to have a medical this week and if all goes well should be announced by Sunday. Current numbers being thrown around are 15-16m.
RB - still talking with Lichtsteiner. No deal yet.
DM - Rumor that Emery wants N'Zonzi but Mislintat is encouraging him to consider Doucoure (Watford) due to his age and more recent EPL experience. Rumor this morning that we are meeting with Fellaini and are considering signing him. Emery supposedly wanted him at PSG.
CM - numerous teams (Palace, Newcastle, Fulham, Everton, etc...) said to be interested in signing Jack.
deadbq03
AG
Y'all hear anything about signing Forsberg? I'm already resigned to losing him - just a matter of where at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.