Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,936 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2017-2018 is now OVER!

Let's do this!
jeffk
AG
Pagina uno!
TXAggie2011
AG
There are 62 days until we drill Boreham Wood and 74 days until we take our revenge and make Atletico Madrid sing uncle in Singapore.
wangus12
AG
Arteta seems to be picking up some traction. Ljungberg was named to the youth staff.
TXAggie2011
AG
There may be some openings in the youth ranks depending on where this bullying investigation/suspensions go.

Lehmann and Bould expected to stay, but the other first team staff is likely gone.
chjoak
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

There may be some openings in the youth ranks depending on where this bullying investigation/suspensions go.

Lehmann and Bould expected to stay, but the other first team staff is likely gone.
I've heard that everyone but Bould & Lehmann have already been told they are out. For me keeping existing staff just points to a new manager with minimal experience or someone with knowledge of the club / Wenger's staff. Really hoping for Jardim but if I was a betting man I would put money on Arteta or Vieira.
gougler08
AG
Will at least be an interesting offseason
wangus12
AG
It'll also be interesting to see which players stay and go. Ramsey has one year left and I could see us selling if he doesn't resign soon. He was very loyal to Wenger so that was probably our best bargaining chip. I could see us selling to Spain.

Cazorla doubtfully gets a new contract. There were talks last summer of Mustafi leaving. Ospina is probably gone. Wilshire is expected to sign a new contract, but a new manager could ship him off. Welbeck is questionable, but he does provide some depth.

Really wish some of our youngsters could really break through. Maitland-Niles seems to be the only one that is ready right now. Nelson and Nketiah will hopefully start to come good.
wangus12
AG
Wenger's tenure paired with all the other EPL teams over the course of his time.

TXAggie2011
AG
How many years did you need as manager to have your name on that? 10?
Mathguy64
AG
Fat Sam is in that list 8 times. I wonder if that's the record?
chjoak
AG
chjoak said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I've heard that everyone but Bould & Lehmann have already been told they are out. For me keeping existing staff just points to a new manager with minimal experience or someone with knowledge of the club / Wenger's staff. Really hoping for Jardim but if I was a betting man I would put money on Arteta or Vieira.
LOTS of smoke around Arteta being the guy. English bookies have suspended betting on Arteta to Arsenal due to the media going all out for that being the likely option.

And then there is this...

Not the end all be all but more reliable then most of the English media.
gougler08
AG
He's a bench coach for Man City right? Would definitely be a big step up...
chjoak
AG
Think Pep promoted him to 1st asst this season. He ran the show when Pep was suspended. But yes it would be a big jump.
wangus12
AG
The Arsenal reddit is basically in flames about the possibility or Arteta being named. I'm really not all that shocked. The board is basically refusing to give any significant amount of money for restructuring the squad so you aren't gonna attract a big name with no war chest.

Positive is that he has learned from some of the best managers including Wenger and Pep. Just about everyone thinks he will make a fantastic manager in the future.

Negative is that he has almost no first hand experience in running a club, much less a big club like Arsenal.

Either he turns out to be the next big thing or we may be in the same boat next May.
chjoak
AG
I like Arteta and think he has potential but I kind of agree that he is the wrong choice. We aren't a mid table club that needs to take a flier on a high risk high reward guy. Don't have to get a big name (Allegri, Simeone) but it would be nice to go grab a new(ish) manager that has shown high end potential at their current spot (Jardim, Naglemann, Hassenhuttl).

This whole deal screams of Kroenke/Gazidis trying to prove that they can win with the anti-Wenger (young manager with a good supporting cast vs one experienced guy doing everything).
wangus12
AG
Also, looks like Arsenal players are gonna have plenty of rest during the World Cup. Auba, Mkhi and Ramsey didn't qualify.

Mustafi was left out of the German squad.

Apparently Wilshire isn't going to be selected which I find hilarious since the England squad doesn't have any creative deep-lying midfielders like him.

Heck right now, it looks like there may only be a couple going. Elneny, Iwobi, Ozil, Ospina, Xhaka.

Welbeck and Lacazette will probably go.
wangus12
AG
I agree. I won't be pleased if Arteta is named the manager. But unfortunately I won't be shocked.
chjoak
AG
Won't be shocked and I can atleast be content (but a little disappointed) if they have a really good staff around him (like Buvac).
chjoak
AG
Rumors that Arteta will offer Santi a spot on the coaching staff
chjoak
AG
Haven't posted names for awhile. Below are the guys I am continually / consistently hearing us linked with by position (with rumored fee)...

GK - Leno (22m release clause)
LB - none
RB - none
CB - Sokratis (17.5m), Soyuncu (30m), Koulibaly (53m)
CM - Seri (40ish m release clause), Meyer (free), Jorginho (???)
AM/W - none
ST - none

There are a few other names here and there but these are the ones that don't seem to go away.
TXAggie2011
AG
chjoak said:

Rumors that Arteta will offer Santi a spot on the coaching staff
If that's the case, between Arteta, Cazorla, Mertesacker, and Lehmann, it'll be quite heavy on ex-Arsene Wenger players around the coaching offices.

The hope there would be that the many positives of Wenger's day-to-day approach to coaching a soccer club that players get to observe rubbed off on their approaches.
chjoak
AG
Italian media claiming that Arsenal has agreed a "pre contract" with Ancelloti and the deal is awaiting board approval. The claim is that the Napoli president reached out to him as a Sarri replacement should he leave and Ancelloti turned him down on the grounds that he had a deal in place with us.
wangus12
AG
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want Ancelotti over Arteta at this point.

Also sounds like we are pretty close on bringing Sokratis to the club for around 20m. Kind of a high price for an aging defender who really struggled this year. He'd be a great mentor for young Mavropanos. Koscielny is legit on his last leg and who knows what will happen with Mustafi.
chjoak
AG
I don't want Ancelloti at all. He never lasts more than 2-3 seasons at any stop and he doesn't like to play younger players. Really wish we could get Jardim. Think he is the best balance of experience, youth (relative to managers), offensive style, youth player involvement/development and success.

Sokratis deal has been in the media for awhile. The 20m is Euros. Being reported around 17.5m GBP. Not horrible assuming he can give us 2-3 seasons with atleast 1-2 as a high level starter.
byfLuger41
AG
Hi
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
wangus12
AG
Reiss Nelson was named the Premier League 2 Player of the Year. Really hope we can get him on a new contract and see more of him with the first team
chjoak
AG

Ornstein confirms the 50m net budget
wangus12
AG
Not the best source

http://www.goal.com/en/news/arteta-agrees-to-become-new-arsenal-manager/1exzvy0hbmgj91vevp3cxzwy1r
chjoak
AG
seeing a number of sources claiming that we have agreed terms with Arteta.
chjoak
AG
More rumors coming out that Xabi Alonso will be named to back office staff
chjoak
AG
Seeing several stories today claiming our summer haul will be Leno, Sokratis, the Turk, a MF and possibly a AM/W/ST.

Xhaka liked something on Instagram yesterday that make people think that Sokratis & the Turk are confirmed done deals.
chjoak
AG
Rumors this morning...

- The board is holding talks with Unai Emory before pulling the trigger on Arteta
- Wilshire is going to sign a 3 year extension
- Max Meyer agreed terms with Hoffenheim
wangus12
AG
Santi is gone.

chjoak
AG
We knew that was gonna happen. Hard to justify giving a contract to a 32 yo that hasn't played in a year +.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.