Champions League Quarter Finals!

6,620 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AGC
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tremble said:

The angles were bad for the call from our view. Did he just bulldoze through Vazquez?

Vazquez set himself up to go down on any contact, defender put his hand on the back trying to go around. It was a bad play by the defender, he got beat and didn't have much choice. Vazquez forced him to call it though.
jeffdjohnson
mathguy86 said:

That is a heroic call by Oliver. The PK was correct and Buffon almost knocked him down from behind.

It is disappointing that Buffon didn't get a chance to save it, but you can't run into a referee in any sport. Dumb move. The PK was also correct, subtle shove into the back, never had a play on the ball.
Mathguy64
AG
tremble said:

The angles were bad for the call from our view. Did he just bulldoze through Vazquez?
Two hands in the back. The foul and PK were 100% correct
gambochaman
AG
aint no goalie saving that so the point was moot
akm91
AG
Well that's probably the most memorable way to end your UCL competition; getting a straight red card.

As someone rooting for Madrid, that was a pretty weak call. Juve fans rightly should feel the refs handed the match to Madrid. I've seen way more contact fighting for position for corner kick.

datrixstunna
AG
It was a spot on call.
akm91
AG
datrixstunna said:

It was a spot on call.
It was a weak call.
Mathguy64
AG
The defender was 100% beat and put two hands in the players back and shoved. Whats is Oliver supposed to do? It should have been yellow and could have been red. Even with the new DOGSO rules thats still a red version. I think the only reason it didnt get carded was Buffon took his.
datrixstunna
AG
Time to learn the rules.
AGC
AG
akm91 said:

datrixstunna said:

It was a spot on call.
It was a weak call.

What choice did the ref have? Hands on the back flying through with momentum on a much smaller player. And this is what, 10-15 minutes after the same defender getting a yellow for lunging into Asensio and Kroos?
jeffdjohnson
akm91 said:

datrixstunna said:

It was a spot on call.
It was a weak call.

Looks like 2 hand shove on the back and kicked in the chest before the ball arrived. Defender didn't have position.
Rudyjax
AG
RM almost had a hold my beer game.

Clear penalty.
Mathguy64
AG
Buffon went nuclear after the match.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/story/3453100/gianluigi-buffon-slams-michael-oliversays-referees-shouldnt-destroy-dreams
Rudyjax
AG
mathguy86 said:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/story/3453100/gianluigi-buffon-slams-michael-oliversays-referees-shouldnt-destroy-dreams

I can't think of another sport where that much contact with an official wouldn't lead to an ejection.

Pretty sure thats a suspension in most sports.
Mike Elko
AG
Clear foul, clear PK, clear red card. Juve lost their composure when it mattered most, led by their captain.
Mathguy64
AG
Juve President tells Buffon to hold his beer. Says UEFA referees are against all italian clubs.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/story/3453068/juventus-president-andrea-agnelli-says-uefa-referees-against-italian-clubs

Suspensions will be coming.
Rudyjax
AG
Am I doing something wrong? Your links pull to the main espn page.
Mathguy64
AG
On my iPad it goes to the article. On my phone it tries to open the espn app unless I tell it to open the page. Weird.
Rudyjax
AG
mathguy86 said:

On my iPad it goes to the article. On my phone it tries to open the espn app unless I tell it to open the page. Weird.
Works on my kindle. Weird
gambochaman
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Clear foul, clear PK, clear red card. Juve lost their composure when it mattered most, led by their captain.
this

and I say this as a Barca fan who hates Madrid and Ronaldo
gambochaman
AG
Madrid bayern
Liverpool roma

Tasty matchups
who?mikejones
AG
mathguy86 said:

I find this attitude perplexing. A foul is a foul no matter when it occurs. The ref should call a foul when he sees it.

Not calling it because of the comeback or feeling of the teamis the wrong attitude. Its no different than the end of the basketball game- if a foul is committed, it should be called.

The rules dont change based on the time on the clock.
Mike Elko
AG
Surprise, surprise... RM/BM. So, essentially the final in the semifinal round.
jeffk
AG
Just think of it like you got two Real-Bayern games instead of just one.
AGC
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Look forward to Vidal being sent off again. Maybe they'll do it earlier this time like he deserved rather than waiting so long. No doubt the cules will be watching closely!
Gigem Trevas
AGC said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Look forward to Vidal being sent off again. Maybe they'll do it earlier this time like he deserved rather than waiting so long. No doubt the cules will be watching closely!

Jealousy will be real if Madrid wins 3 in a row and Cristiano comes out of nowhere to win Balon d' Or number 6.
exp
AG
I'm a little worried about Sergio Ramos getting suspended for his asshattery coming down into the tunnel at the end of the game. He's not allowed to be there.

I want to see RM/BM at full strength.
Mathguy64
AG
I actually asked someone about this earlier in the week. It's unclear what penalty there is. Managers that get touchline suspensions cannot be anywhere near the touchline. Players are a little more vague. It doesn't say they can't be there. But they have to be listed on the team roster to be eligible to be there.
Mike Elko
AG
No suspension for Ramos... Thankfully.
AGC
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

No suspension for Ramos... Thankfully.

Donde hay padron no manda marinero! Lead on captain!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.