***** Official USMNT vs Paraguay Match Thread *****

2,807 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just glad Weah got that cap .
ChipFTAC01
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but because this is only a friendly he's not cap tied, right?
jeffk
AG
That's correct.
PatAg
AG
Overall very pleased with what I saw from all the young guys. I think there is a spot for Nagbe on this team, but I think he just doesn't have that killer mentality to turn and go at players. Which is strange, because I remember when I first started seeing highlights of him, it was all the crazy goals and runs he was going on for Portland. He is basically the equivalent of Captain Checkdown at QB, in my mind. It will be a good thing if a midfielder is able to push him to the bench, for situational substitutions, as he is strong on the ball.

I liked what I saw from Delgado, Adams, Saief (learned how to pronounce his name), Villafana, and our two center backs. Trapp had a solid game, but im not convinced he has what it takes for national team play.

Weah im just glad got some action, but cant evaluate him on this game. I'm looking forward to seeing Pulisic, McKinnie and Sargent all in one game.
PatAg
AG
In a real game, I think the ref gives at least one red card to paraguay, and they honestly deserved 2-3.

Studs up, the goalie taking out Adams, and then a few other guys with persistent dangerous play coulda picked up second yellows(or at least been given first yellow).
Rudyjax
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but because this is only a friendly he's not cap tied, right?

Doh. Thanks for correcting my ignorance so kindly.
Rudyjax
AG
Yeah. That got pretty ugly.

They probably would've killed Pulisic if he had been out there.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, I knew I was right but was leaving myself some wiggle room in case there was some nuance I didn't understand.
wangus12
AG
I think Delgado, Adams and Trapp formed the most effective US midfield I've seen in a few years. They worked very well together.

I wish we'd gotten to see Antonee Robinson come in at LB. I thought Sarachan did a terrible job when it comes to substitutions. They whole purpose was to get younger players experience and we didn't use all our subs and several of the ones we did use had less than 10 minutes of time. I know we wanted to win, but I'd have much rather gotten a look at some more talent.
akm91
AG
I think Saief has a good future with the USMNT because his talent is pretty obvious, especially his lil spin move.

I was disappointed neither Shaq Moore nor Antonee Robinson got into the game. There was no need for Yedlin and Villafana to still be in the game after the 70th minute. I thought Villafana and the rest of the backline had a pretty solid game.
randy828
AG
I was very happy with our defense last night. One thing I can't believe has gone so bad with our USMNT over the past few years.
Dre_00
wangus12 said:

I think Delgado, Adams and Trapp formed the most effective US midfield I've seen in a few years. They worked very well together.

I wish we'd gotten to see Antonee Robinson come in at LB. I thought Sarachan did a terrible job when it comes to substitutions. They whole purpose was to get younger players experience and we didn't use all our subs and several of the ones we did use had less than 10 minutes of time. I know we wanted to win, but I'd have much rather gotten a look at some more talent.

Devil's advocate.

The other side of the argument is that all the young players that started the game got experience making a game and emotions against an opponent that clearly was uh... shall we say spirited. We have a lot of meaningless friendlies over the next 4 years to look at the players that didn't play. And frankly, even if they had played, whatever impression they left would be wiped clean when the permanent manager is hired after the World Cup.
OregonAggie
AG
I would've thought he's make more subs at halftime instead of subbing people in with 5-10 min left. Weah looked nervous at first but then ended up getting stuck in. Imagine him playing a whole half.
Aston94
AG
Was impressed with the squad and their work rate. Would have liked to have seen a few more of the chances created end in the back of the net, but was very impressed overall.

Arguing about the sub-schedule of an interim coach in. March friendly is not real interesting to me, but I enjoyed seeing the group play together and come together after some really bad fouls.
Rudyjax
AG
I just read an article talking about everyone getting their first cap last night...glad I am not the only one wrong about that!

Just did some research, it's considered a "cap" but it's doesn't "cap-tie" you.

PatAg
AG
Unthought Known said:

I just read an article talking about everyone getting their first cap last night...glad I am not the only one wrong about that!

Just did some research, it's considered a "cap" but it's doesn't "cap-tie" you.

yea, a cap is any appearance for the Men's National team, friendly or otherwise. You only get cap-tied in fifa sanctioned events.

" The term dates from the practice in the United Kingdom of awarding a cap to every player in an international match of association football. In the early days of football, the concept of each team wearing a set of matching shirts had not been universally adopted, so each side would distinguish itself from the other by wearing a specific sort of cap." interesting
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
DULL !
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.