2018 World Cup - who you supporting??

8,636 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Shank Ag
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://imgur.com/a/MfWnH

I'm curious what teams everyone is rooting for this summer. I always have a couple favorites to cheer on and a couple underdogs.

Favorites:
Germany - Always a favorite and they're style of play

Argentina - My favorite player growing up was Maradona so I've always supported them. I'm a big Messi fan as well and really hope he finally wins the big one.

Underdogs:
Croatia and Costa Rica. I'll be rooting for any CONCACAF squad too...even Mexico. I hate to admit but I do like watching Mexico play even though they're our biggest rival.

Edit- dammit I can't post pics for some reason. Sometimes they post and other don't. I tried to post an image of the groups, FYI.
AggieWonWon
Colombia and Belgium
Mathguy64
AG
England.

Like most all teams I support (Ags in all sports, ManU, USMNT) they are almost assuredly going to **** the bed at some point. So I know going into it that my heart will be ripped apart and knowing it's going to happen I won't get angry when it does. Fortunately the Astros last year showed me I'm not a total bad luck talisman.
ja86
AG
Germany... was born there
Belgium. .. lived there for 3 years
wangus12
AG
Germany - Dad's side of the family

Iceland - Great story about the tiny nation making it on top of the Euro success. I will also be there during the World Cup so it will be a blast
jeffk
AG
Egypt
Iceland
Peru
Serbia

Probably England, but it's more of a morbid fascination waiting to see how they're going to flame out.
OregonAggie
AG
mathguy86 said:

England.

Like most all teams I support (Ags in all sports, ManU, USMNT) they are almost assuredly going to **** the bed at some point. So I know going into it that my heart will be ripped apart and knowing it's going to happen I won't get angry when it does. Fortunately the Astros last year showed me I'm not a total bad luck talisman.

Man England irritates me for some reason. They think so highly of themselves and never live up to the hype.

Remember 2010 when the US won the group against England? I reveled in that
Colombia
Germany
South Korea
nickstro66
AG
Germany for my dad's side of the family and Neuer (if he plays) is so much fun to watch

Iceland for the underdog factor
aTmAg
AG
Argentina. Shut up the last excuse of the haters.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Quote:

Where in Belgium? Maybe we were classmates there.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
wangus12 said:

Iceland - Great story about the tiny nation making it on top of the Euro success. I will also be there during the World Cup so it will be a blast
I'll be there for the Argentina match. You too?
wangus12
AG
The Nigeria match for us. We get in on the 20th
OregonAggie
AG
1 said:

Colombia
Germany
South Korea

I've always liked South Korea. I grew up in duncanville and they practiced at our high school during the 94 WC. We inherited some beautiful practice fields because of it.
gambochaman
AG
Argentina
Spain
ja86
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

Quote:

Where in Belgium? Maybe we were classmates there.

I never had the chance to go to school there, but i worked for a company in Brussels from 97 to 2000. I really enjoyed living there.
OregonAggie
AG
gambochaman said:

Argentina
Spain

No underdogs?

You're such an elitist.
deadbq03
AG
Team I want to win:
1) Germany - Always my very-close second choice to USA due to deep TX-German ancestry (my grandfather spoke only German until public school)

Tier 2 - Other teams I'd be happy to see win it all:
2) France - Became a fan during the 2016 Euros. Their fan engagement won me over.
3) Argentina - They're due... I hate that phrase but I feel like it's true.

Tier 3 - Teams I really want to see advance out of group:
4) Sweden - As the only avid fan of RB Leipzig in North America, I'm obligated to root for Emil Forsberg. Also, if they advance out of group, it most-likely means that Mexico will not, so double-bonus in my book.
5) Iceland - fun underdogs
6) Costa Rica & 7) Panama - obvious CONCACAF connection. And if they do well then I have no reason to have to make a deal with the devil and support Mexico to represent.

Bottom Rung - May they embarrass themselves with an early exit:
29) Columbia - my neighbors are Columbian. They throw crazy late-night parties. Deep down I wish I knew Spanish and could join their parties because their music is awesome, but since I can't, I don't want any celebrations. /GringoGrinch
30) England - the Notre Dame of soccer. Sometimes in the middle of games, I get a sense of nostalgia/Anglophilia and catch myself rooting for them, but then when they ultimately lose, it makes me happy because I'm tired of the sense of entitlement.
31) Mexico - if England is Notre Dame, then Mexico is t.u.
32) Russia - decline to comment for fear of getting Putin'd. But yes, they're lower than t.u. in this field.
OregonAggie
AG
deadbq03 said:

Team I want to win:
1) Germany - Always my very-close second choice to USA due to deep TX-German ancestry (my grandfather spoke only German until public school)

Tier 2 - Other teams I'd be happy to see win it all:
2) France - Became a fan during the 2016 Euros. Their fan engagement won me over.
3) Argentina - They're due... I hate that phrase but I feel like it's true.

Tier 3 - Teams I really want to see advance out of group:
4) Sweden - As the only avid fan of RB Leipzig in North America, I'm obligated to root for Emil Forsberg. Also, if they advance out of group, it most-likely means that Mexico will not, so double-bonus in my book.
5) Iceland - fun underdogs
6) Costa Rica & 7) Panama - obvious CONCACAF connection. And if they do well then I have no reason to have to make a deal with the devil and support Mexico to represent.

Bottom Rung - May they embarrass themselves with an early exit:
29) Columbia - my neighbors are Columbian. They throw crazy late-night parties. Deep down I wish I knew Spanish and could join their parties because their music is awesome, but since I can't, I don't want any celebrations. /GringoGrinch
30) England - the Notre Dame of soccer. Sometimes in the middle of games, I get a sense of nostalgia/Anglophilia and catch myself rooting for them, but then when they ultimately lose, it makes me happy because I'm tired of the sense of entitlement.
31) Mexico - if England is Notre Dame, then Mexico is t.u.
32) Russia - decline to comment for fear of getting Putin'd. But yes, they're lower than t.u. in this field.

Now this is one helluva post. I expect this kind of reply from you other degenerates!
gambochaman
AG
Ok
My underdog to root for is iceland
Thunder18
AG
Since my two teams (US, Ireland) failed to make this one I will be rooting for Portugal (Dad went to hs in the Azores) and Iceland. Here are my group by group faves:

A- Uruguay
B- Portugal
C- France
D- Iceland (but lordy that group is going to be tough)
E- Serbia
F- Germany
G- England
H- Colombia

*who I will root for, not necessarily my picks to win those groups*
randy828
AG
Brazil!

Celebrating with the wife will be awesome
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Would like to see Iceland see further success because Gylfi Siggardson plays for Everton and they 're big underdogs.
akm91
AG
Rooting for Deutschland to win the WC.

Rooting for: Egypt and iceland for the different storylines.

Hoping for Russia to get embarrassed by all teams in Group A.
aarjon
El Tri
Les Bleus

and Peru
young eugene
AG
I'd like to see England and Belgium do well.. really hope to see both advance. Besides them, there are plenty of individual players I'd like to see do well and advance.

Teams I want to see lose? Definitely Costa Rica. I don't understand how yall can root for them. Between player antics and their 'park the bus' style they are unwatchable for me. Couldn't stand their last WC run, every single game they basically played defense until they could get to pk's.
chjoak
AG
Favorites by group...

A) Uruguay
B) Spain
C) Australia
D) Argentina
E) Switzerland
F) Germany
G) Belgium
E) Poland

Will likely follow Argentina the closest. Always been one of my favorites of the Central/South American countries and would like to see Messi raise a world cup before he retires.

Teams I would LOVE to see be completely embarrassed...

Russia, Brazil & Mexico.
gambochaman
AG
I don't hold any hope that Russia will be completely embarrassed in the group stage...and I am fully expecting there to be a lot of homecooking to overcome for any team playing against them

the good news is they will more than likely have to play Spain or Portugal in round of 16, so there's that
ChipFTAC01
AG
England, because my wife is English (and therefore my kids have citizenship as well).
Frozen Concoction
Les Bleus

I spent a month working in Toulouse during Euro 2000. It was our ritual to head to a bar after work and watch the games. Very cool how you could walk down the street and follow the action as every business had the game on and crowds spilling out onto the sidewalks watching.
OregonAggie
AG
I like all the young guys on France. They have the talent for sure
wangus12
AG
Everyone going for Argentina better hope Messi is at his very best or they are screwed. They got boned today by Spain without him
Thunder18
AG
Yea...they got SPANKED
stillmerk
AG
1 more for France. So much offensive talent.
ryan_m
Germany - Always been a fan
Belgium - My hunch pick to win the cup
Iceland - Underdog team that plays with passion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.