USMNT roster bs Paraguay

1,663 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PatAg
stillmerk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*vs Paraguay

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Ipswich Town/ENG; 1/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse/NED; 4/1), Shaq Moore (Levante/ESP; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Kortrijk/BEL; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Bolton Wanderers/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaa (Santos Laguna/MEX; 15/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 49/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United FC; 24/1), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 2/0), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 1/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 3/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 0/0)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Telstar/NED; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 4/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 36/10)

Aron got the call but withdrew with an Achilles injury.
akm91
AG
Pulisic opted to remain with Dortmund because of match vs. Bayern shortly after the friendly.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
NitroAGGIE
AG
I didn't know we had some many "up and coming" players overseas. I think this cycle is a good wake-up call for US Soccer and hope to identify some new talent instead of trotting out the same old duds.
akm91
AG
Kekuta Manneh added to roster.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
NitroAGGIE said:

I didn't know we had some many "up and coming" players overseas. I think this cycle is a good wake-up call for US Soccer and hope to identify some new talent instead of trotting out the same old duds.
As a soccer noob I kept my opinion to myself, but for years I've wondered how you could look at any website that lists international transfer values, filter just the Americans, and there's always dudes in the Top 20 in terms of transfer value who don't get called up.
akm91
AG
Are you talking about just one friendly or not at all involved in the USMNT? If the latter, I can't think of anyone you could be talking about.
deadbq03
AG
Pardon the vague comment. I'm referring mostly to the WCQs.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

NitroAGGIE said:

As a soccer noob I kept my opinion to myself, but for years I've wondered how you could look at any website that lists international transfer values, filter just the Americans, and there's always dudes in the Top 20 in terms of transfer value who don't get called up.
Politics.

Our best team wasn't on the field for the WCQ.

This team though is for building for the future, getting as many young kids experience.

AgGrad99
AG

What type of Achilles injury did Aron have? He wasnt out long, but I'm curious if it's something nagging, or just a minor thing he needed to rehab for a couple days.

I'm rooting for that kid to comeback.
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't follow soccer outside of a mild interest in the national team. Can someone explain why top level players move teams so often? You'll see certain guys do two years at Chelsea, a year at Barcelona, then over to Bayern, then somewhere else. Is it just a matter of maximizing value, where you suddenly aren't good enough to start for Barcelona, but still good enough to start to another high level team, and the cycle continues until you finish in MLS?

Two examples are Ibrahimovic and Robben.
texagbeliever
Both of your examples are older players who are over the hill. Ibra is coming off of major knee surgery and wasn't a spring chicken before that.

I think much of the musical chairs with players is a direct result of playing time. Managers change frequently and based on their formation and styles a great player can be the odd man out. Additionally, some teams cant dedicate the time to younger players (chelsea w/ lukaku, debruyne, sane, salah).
Seven Costanza
AG
Even then, he has played for a ton of high level teams. Juventus, Inter, Barcelona, Milan, and Manchester United. In reading a little about him, though, it seems part of it is him being a pain in the ass.

Looking at Balotelli (not sure how good he is): Inter, Manchester United, Milan, Liverpool, Milan, Nice. Seems like a lot of moving around.
PatAg
AG
texagbeliever said:

Both of your examples are older players who are over the hill. Ibra is coming off of major knee surgery and wasn't a spring chicken before that.

I think much of the musical chairs with players is a direct result of playing time. Managers change frequently and based on their formation and styles a great player can be the odd man out. Additionally, some teams cant dedicate the time to younger players (chelsea w/ lukaku, debruyne, sane, salah).
This, bigly.

It's also a huge issue for Americans when they are in Europe. They can establish themself as an important plyaer for a team, then a new manager comes in and they are somehow back to square 1. Clint Dempsey dealt with that often.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.